The seven dwarves

edited November 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

Hi All,
My first exposure to the fables series is through TWAU
I love The setting and all. However I kinda had a question regarding the seven dwarves of the snow white tale. Are they present some way in this universe?
The dwarves were mentioned very briefly as well in the first episode. I don't want to look up online because it might be to spoilery

Comments

• You can see them in the book that's in Ichabod Crane's desk, and they do have a presence in the Fables universe. Whether or not they'll show up in TWAU, I can't say.

• edited November 2013

The dwarves were... not nice, to put it mildly. Since you don't want any major spoilers, I won't go into it. I don't want to ruin the books for you in case you ever decide to read them. But the whole backstory with Snow and the dwarves is detailed in the book 1001 Nights of Snowfall. The story takes place long before Snow came to the mundane world. So the dwarves wouldn't show up in TWAU if the game follows the books (which Telltale has said that it does).

If you're interested in the characters 1001 Nights of Snowfall is worth the read.

• Is it a stand alone release? Since I am not from America iris going to be ridiculously difficult to read all the 150 issues of fables. But if I could read that book alone without any accompaniment I guess that would be great.

• edited November 2013

1001 Nights of Snowfall is a prequel to the series. I read it after reading Fables volume 4, which was good because I was already familiar with the characters and the universe. It includes some backstory on Snow, Bigby, and a few other characters. I suppose that you could read it without reading the other books, since you do meet some of those characters in the game, and the basic gist of the universe is also explained in the game (the exile from the Homelands and all).

However, you may want to wait for a couple of more episodes since I have the feeling that some of the other characters may show up eventually, and getting to know those characters first may make the book more interesting to read.

Vip3rvilbak posted: »

Is it a stand alone release? Since I am not from America iris going to be ridiculously difficult to read all the 150 issues of fables. But if I could read that book alone without any accompaniment I guess that would be great.

• I was planning to go into this with only the information that is absolutely necessary for my understanding And enjoyment. But it seems that the game actually assumes some familiarity with the characters and the setting.

1001 Nights of Snowfall is a prequel to the series. I read it after reading Fables volume 4, which was good because I was already familiar wit

• I was wondering about some of the Fable titles that seemed outside the series, thanks!

1001 Nights of Snowfall is a prequel to the series. I read it after reading Fables volume 4, which was good because I was already familiar wit

• So I read the novella and I know what happened to the seven dwarves (presumably). However I still am not sure what went down in the fables version of the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves tale. Any pointers? Is the story there in any other issue?

• edited November 2013

If you want to know the story of Snow White and the seven dwarfs in the fables universe, I recommand you to read the issues 95 and 96 of Fables which tells the whole story of Snow and how she met the dwarfs.
    Here's also a link to the preview of these issues: http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2010/06/11/fables-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs

• Spoiler...
    In Fables the Dwarfs are not nice creatures, they are monstrous ugly villains who abduct girls and abuse them until they die…
    However, only in Fables #133 *Snow White talks *about the horrors she experienced.
    The other instances the dwarfs are mentioned, the comics take on an unknown narrator that darkly foreshadow the abuse she experienced in her imprisonment.
    1001 Nights of Snowfall gives insight to Snow White’s marriage to Charming, the only wedding gift she asked for was fencing lessons… spoiler as she improves with each lesson… the seven dwarfs are found murdered.
    Fables 96# Rose Red and Snow White's childhood; Snow with help from a huntsman escapes from the evil Queen but she finds herself in just as much danger being held captive by the seven Dwarfs. The only way she escapes is when she eats the apple and the dwarves all think she is dead. They dump her body far enough away from the cabin so her rotting copse smell doesn’t bother them.
    … other Fables also know about the reputation of what the evil dwarfs do to the girls in the cabin… thus it is mentioned sparsely throughout the series that other Fables know also know what happened to Snow.

• Snow White kills then for doing unspeakable things to her, snow does this after she is married to Prince Charming and he teaches her how to sword fight.

• i believe the seven dwarfs gang raped her at some point during her capture

• yeah you can read this out of a panel of the above preview pics. kinda..

• I used to have a disturbing gif on my phone of that very thing.
    Sadly I had it long enough to say I could only count 6 dwarves

• Sexual and housekeeping slavery are the first things I'd think of regarding the Dwarves and I doubt I'm the only adult to jump to that conclusion. I've not read the comics yet (didn't even know they existed until TT announced they were doing a Fables game, as I have lived in the British Isles all my life) but will, if I get the opportunity sometime.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.