Open Letter to Telltale

edited December 2013 in Sam & Max

Dear Telltale,

I have been with you since the very start. You guys made some great games. I have never been a fan of the walking dead, but it seems a lot of people are happy with the game. I am glad you are still making games that make people happy. I bought many games from you over the years. I am starting to see that you are forgetting the people who helped you to get where you are today. Many fans want more Sam and Max but you ignore the threads all together. All we want is a yes or no if you are going to make more of the Sam and Max game. Please don't forget about us. Like I said we helped you to get where you are today please don't brush us a side like we don't matter. Listen to us give and give your loyal customers what the want. Don't be another company that forgets where they came from and abandon their fans. Please at least give us an answer, we deserve that much.

Comments

• I think you're going to waiting for a very, very long time.

• edited December 2013

Back at the end of October, IGN had an article about their recently obtained "dream IP", and they specifically mentioned Sam & Max toward the end of the article. Quote from Kevin Bruner:

"We love Sam & Max and certainly haven't forgotten about them! I think you'll see something smaller (more like Poker) than a full Season, and probably not for a bit, but we have NOT forgotten about them, we've just been super busy growing like crazy."

Here's the url: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/telltale-games-talks-star-wars-dream-ip-and-its-future

• As the original fans of Telltale & Sam & Max lets stick together and hopefully Telltale will remember us while they are off making their money...remember that guy you step on to make it to the top is still going to be there when you are on your way down.....

• What? Who said they were stepping on us? Bruner said they "have NOT forgotten about [Sam & Max]." If anything, that should be something to keep us fans hoping and waiting, you know? :)

Besides, if they make more money, they have the power to expand, and create more departments to develop more games, including sequels to beloved titles :) At least, that's the way I see it.

• Telltale didn't just 'forget' about Sam and Max, they 'forgot' about the adventure genre altogether. The walking dead and Fables are good games, but they are not adventure games, not by a long shot. They are modern 'Choose your own adventure book' meets 'Simon says' if anything.
    It seems to be the age old story in which a company establishes itself by catering to a niche audience, and then in an attempt to expand it's business starts appealing to broader audiences. I don't resent telltale, it happened to Sierra and Lucasarts, and luckily we live in an age where indie developers unite and form companies such as Phoenix online, which in turn will propably try to expand itself in a few years, but that's just how it goes. Thank you Telltale for what you did for the genre, and good luck on future endeavors.

• It is a shame though, adventure games are my truest love in games. I seriously have the reflexes of a geriatric, so the simon says action sequences of the modern games and I... we don't get along.

I miss the old telltale but such is the way of things I suppose. I'm waiting for a consensus on Fable before I buy it, i'm not certain the game genre and I will get along.

• edited December 2013

Telltale Games can get their hands to enough big titles constantly and unfortunately Sam & Max isn't especially popular in a larger scale right now. So when they finally decide to do fourth season, if they do, then it has better to sell well enough.

• Over Six Months and still no reply from TellTale. I really loved their adventure games. I just feel being a loyal fan(others as well) from the start they would at least post something. Sam and Max is what got this company started you would think they would show a little more respect for a IP that made them what they are today.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2014

Telltale just released a new Sam & Max game last year, and Kevin Bruner, Telltale's co-founder, said that more smaller games in the vein of Poker Night starring Sam & Max will be coming at some point (as said in this article linked by CelestialSushi above).

Randall_Mc posted: »

Over Six Months and still no reply from TellTale. I really loved their adventure games. I just feel being a loyal fan(others as well) from t

• Sam and Max: The Devil's Play house was released in April 2010. That is a little over 4 years. What Sam and Max game are you talking about? If you say Poker Night at the Inventory 2 that does not count.

Jennifer posted: »

Telltale just released a new Sam & Max game last year, and Kevin Bruner, Telltale's co-founder, said that more smaller games in the vein

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited November 2014

Sam & Max are among the starring characters in those games, so the Poker Night games are as much a Sam & Max game as any other game they starred in. They're really good Sam & Max games too, in my opinion. Telltale still writes the characters well, as they act like their usual selves, and their conversations are fun as they talk about their adventures (heck they even talk about their adventures during cancelled Freelance Police, which marks the first time we get to hear about what happened during those events). The Sam & Max dialog is the among the best written in both Poker Night games.

Sam & Max didn't start out as adventure games, they started out as comics. So, unlike, for example, Monkey Island, every Sam & Max game doesn't have to be an adventure game to be true to the characters. The comics had them doing everything from saving the world to doing regular things like picking up groceries or playing fizzball. They work as well saving the world from the real rulers of hell as they do just sitting around talking about their adventures and playing poker.

Randall_Mc posted: »

Sam and Max: The Devil's Play house was released in April 2010. That is a little over 4 years. What Sam and Max game are you talking about? If you say Poker Night at the Inventory 2 that does not count.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.