Futurama: The Beast with a billion backs!

edited July 2008 in General Chat
Anyone seen the 2nd dvd movie of Futurama? I have seen it and imo, it isn't as good as Bender's Big score despite probably being funnier. Just that plot seems to jump from one topic to another quickly, much like how an episode of the Simpsons starts. Without spoilers, the episode starts off with where they left off from the previous DVD and then to something new and then jumps to something else after quickly finishing the previous event. The story seems more convoluted to me.

Bender's big score is more emotional and heart-felt while Beast with a billion backs is more comedic and hilarious. However, the latter seems to sacrifice the more stable storyline as seen iin the first film with comedy.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I got it yesterday... and wasn't particularly impressed. I had pretty much the same complaints as you did, but... I also just thought the plot was plain stupid. Shame, because I thought the first one was fantastic. Hopefully the third will be better.
  • edited July 2008
    I really liked it, but the first one was far better. I'll have to watch it again to come up with a better opinion on it.
  • edited July 2008
    I couldn't disagree more. Even while still watching Beast With a Billion Backs, I felt it greatly surpassed Bender's Big Score. I remember enjoying BBS when I first watched it, but I was a bit underwhelmed as well. The jokes weren't quite as funny as I'd hoped, and it seemed a bit like they were just getting back into the swing of things. Beast with a Billion Backs felt just like watching an episode of the show, which, to me, means that they scored a bullseye. It wasn't as emotional as the first movie, it's true, but that's okay. If every Futurama episode and/or movie was emotional and heart-felt, it wouldn't pack as much of a punch. BBB is just good fun all the way through.
  • edited July 2008
    i bought it yesterday, it is good just not as good as benders big score, i just hope that the 3rd one will be better. the cover is better on the beast with a billion backs.
  • edited July 2008
    I have found the same problems, it runs fine for the first hourish, then drops to being a bit silly and feels like they lost there way abit.

But over all it's more Futurama so its all good.
  • edited July 2008
    I have to agree, I definitely liked Bender's Big Score better. I felt much more drawn into the story with that one. Overall I didn't think the new one was bad though. The plot was a bit goofy though and barely connected to the previous movie at all, but on the other hand it did have plenty of funny parts. Of course the show had a mix of silly episodes and heart tugging episodes as well though, and that made it a more enjoyable show for me because of it. I never knew what to expect.
  • edited July 2008
    I agree... the new one felt more like it was written with being pslit into individual episodes in mind. The overarching story is much weaker, and it feel like it's wandering through four different stories instead.
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, you don't want a movie to feel like it's pslit into different parts. That just really screws it up.
  • edited July 2008
    The thing is, like tabacco said, the Futurama movies are being split up into four episodes. So it might seem like it isn't a big deal when you see the parts one-by-one.

That said, this movie was inferior to the previous one in almost every way. I don't think it's funnier.

Anyone else think the titling of these movies is a bit ridiculous? Bender's Big Score... Best with a Billion Backs... These wouldn't make sense to some who aren't more than halfway through watching the movies.
  • edited July 2008
    ^ Aye. I kept count, and there was nowhere NEAR a billion backs on the beast. The title is an untruth. AN UNTRUTH!
  • edited July 2008
    the title is a ref to the phrase for (spoiler?)
    sexual intercourse "the beast with two backs"

tabacco's theory seems very logical. Logical since groanin said that comedy centre apporached them for new eps when big score was almost complete and went back to make them into four different eps. They probably didn't have time to modify the bender movie a whole lot, resultin in havin one big storyline.

as for the other movies, they probably rewritten the bulk of the storyline to make them more episodic
  • edited July 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    the title is a ref to the phrase for (spoiler?)
    sexual intercourse "the beast with two backs"

I was joking, y'know. :) But I've actually not heard that particular innuendo before, so all is not lost. :p
  • edited July 2008
    Juhsayngul wrote: »
    That said, this movie was inferior to the previous one in almost every way. I don't think it's funnier.

Anyone else think the titling of these movies is a bit ridiculous? Bender's Big Score... Best with a Billion Backs... These wouldn't make sense to some who aren't more than halfway through watching the movies.

Well, saying it's inferior in almost every way is bit of a personal judgment, wouldn't you say? My assessment is that it's superior in almost every way. Less cohesive story, but more clever jokes. I laughed much more often at BBB. So really, we're both correct.

As for titles, why do they need to make immediate sense? Great Expectations, Lord of the Flies--there are many stories with titles that only make sense once you've read or watched the whole thing. Which I personally prefer, as I get bored if the story's handed to me on a platter.
  • edited July 2008
    I think the underlying problem here is that these new episodes are too long. Futurama works best in small doses. At least, for me :)

--Erwin
  • edited July 2008
    I would have to agree with the majority. I didn't laugh as much as I did with Bender's Big Score. I did like the fact that heaven was tentacular, though...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.