Apogee is back!

edited July 2008 in General Chat
http://kotaku.com/5024833/apogee-return-to-feast-on-the-living-and-duke-nukem

If there's one thing I love in this world more than adventure games, it's Apogee games. I am so friggin' happy right now.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Now there's a trip down memory lane! Sounds great, let's hope they get things right.
    I guess the title Forever is definitely panned now. Well, can't blame 'em...
  • edited July 2008
    Why would DNF be panned? They're still working on it.
  • edited July 2008
    From that article it sounds like Apogee isn't, and I if they have the Duke Nukem license now how can anyone else be?
  • edited July 2008
    Apogee and 3D Realms are the same company. When it says "Apogee is back", they mean they're taking on the old name again, and taking on the old franchises again.
  • edited July 2008
    Hmm, right. Still, I figure that if they announce a whole trilogy of DN games and don't mention Forever at all, they may have given up at least on calling it that.
  • edited July 2008
    The trilogy will just be sidescrollers, though. I'm sure they can do both.

Although, they could drop both projects and make a sequel to ROTT, and I'd be the happiest man alive. :D
  • edited July 2008
    I used to love that little tune they played when their logo appeared at the beginning of their games.

--Erwin
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Hocus Pocus DS oh god pretty please
  • GaryGary Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I guess this gives credence to the Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA rumor. Woot!
  • edited July 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »
    Hocus Pocus DS oh god pretty please

I second that!
    Give me Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures, and tighten up those graphics!
  • edited July 2008
    this article left me a bit confused. as shagee already wrote, apogee and 3d realms used to be the same company. in fact the official name of 3d realms was still Apogee Software, Ltd., at least that's what i read.
    but this article says the new games will be produced under license agreement from 3d realms. you don't need to license your own franchises to yourself...do you? so, is the new apogee a different company that aquired the brand apogee and is indeed producing the new games under license from 3d realms or did the original apogee rename itself back from 3d realms to apogee...ooor did apogee sell the 3d department aka. 3d realms and is now indeed receiving licensing from them...

...see, i'm confused...and hopefully you are now too.:confused:
  • edited July 2008
    I looked it up after the same thing occurred to me, and now I don't know *what* the hell's going on. And Joe Siegler's posts on the 3D Realms boards vis a vis the topic are even more baffling. I can only guess that they are outsourcing the Apogee name/IPs.
  • edited July 2008
    Let's get some Commander Keen!
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »

I'd love that too, but I believe the Keen IP is under Id Software's control at the moment.
  • edited July 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »

You already can.
  • edited July 2008
    Apogee is mainly a publisher, as far as I know, and I think that is what its role (even if in name only) will be for these three new Duke Nukem games. 3DRealms is a developer, and Apogee published a few of 3DR's games: DN3D and Shadow Warrior. Apogee was considered developer and publisher of Duke Nukem I and II. Apogee co-founder Scott Miller also founded 3DRealms, I think. So the whole thing is confusing, is what I am trying to say. I do wonder how much of the new Apogee is controlled by the guys at 3DRealms, or if it is under control of some other entity. DNF, however, is in development and has not been sacked. It just may not be published by Apogee.
  • edited July 2008
    apogee is a publisher, but they also made their own games. they used to publish the old id stuff like wolfenstein...but duke is their own franchise.
    at least that's what wikipedia writes about it....hmm, if you ever wanted to fake history, like in orwell's 1984, you probably just need to attain control of wikipedia.
    AllenB wrote: »
    i heard that it's not a real commander keen and it s....not very good.
  • edited July 2008
    Does this means Dopefish lives once more!? YAY!
    (I still want a plushie dopefish.. damn my inability to sew)

You know, I had some jackass try to tell me that Duke Nukem wasn't old school because he'd only heard of 3d and forever. Bah I say, BAH! I'm talking back when it was a freaking platformer with bouncing udder things and all that crud... ooo I loved that game so much.
    I grew up on these games! Apogee and Epic Megagames were fantastic! I always preferred Apogee's stuff though, they were more prolific and had more bizzare stuff (Monster Bash was particularly random and fun)
  • edited July 2008
    Does this means Dopefish lives once more!? YAY!
    (I still want a plushie dopefish.. damn my inability to sew)

You know, I had some jackass try to tell me that Duke Nukem wasn't old school because he'd only heard of 3d and forever. Bah I say, BAH! I'm talking back when it was a freaking platformer with bouncing udder things and all that crud... ooo I loved that game so much.
    I grew up on these games! Apogee and Epic Megagames were fantastic! I always preferred Apogee's stuff though, they were more prolific and had more bizzare stuff (Monster Bash was particularly random and fun)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.