Nintendo and SBCG4AP

More than one person from Telltale has said on this forum that when they know the release date for SBCG4AP they will tell us. This sounds to me that someone (most likely Nintendo) will be dictating the release date to Telltale. My question is; to what extent does Nintendo have control of the release date for the Wii version of episodes of SBCG4AP?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Good question. I've personally lost hope in seeing it this month.
  • edited July 2008
    i haven't, im not giving up hope yet
  • edited July 2008
    hey splash its me homsar they tried to ban me but i can just make other accounts.
  • edited July 2008
    shhhhh they're watching uss
  • edited July 2008
    hey splash its me homsar they tried to ban me but i can just make other accounts.
    All this is going to get you is IP banned.
  • edited July 2008
    and that's about it...back on topic
  • wow. an IP ban... hmm, Quite good work. Quite good. Back on topic- Nintendo releases WiiWare games in groups... IN other words, once it has been fully submitted, Nintendo will have complete control over when its to be released,
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    The release date is something we and Nintendo are working on together. Remember that this is new for all of us... WiiWare has only been up and running for two months, and the first episode of Strong Bad is Telltale's first WiiWare release AND our first downloadable release on a console, as opposed to on the PC. There's a lot we all need to do to make sure it goes right.

We've had nothing but good experiences working with Nintendo on this project. I don't want people to have the impression that they're dictators pushing us around, because that's not the case at all. I think it's Nintendo's priority as well as Telltale's to release the best Strong Bad game we possibly can. :)
  • edited July 2008
    lol @ the ip ban.

What do you wanna bet that "itshomsaragain!" is going to go tell all of his (1) friends not to buy the game now because he got banned for spamming. :P

Anyway..... Yeah, I have faith that Nintendo is going to try and deliver for us.

Imo, there's way too many people that have been whining and complaining and saying this and that about how "bad" they think WiiWare and Virtual Console is, just because they don't get the exact game they wanted on the exact date they wanted it.

Either that, or they ignore all of the other great games that Nintendo has given them or that Nintendo even provides such a great service, and they complain about how "Nintendo hates us" because weeks go by without them having gotten Super Mario RPG, or Kirby Super Star yet, when they tell Nintendo to jump.

Yeah, honestly Nintendo has a lot to manage, with over 100 WiiWare titles being worked on, and even though I am very much anticipating the Strong Bad game, it is but one of the 100 titles that Nintendo must go through and give them all their fair due... which is a lot of work! Work that Nintendo is doing for everyone!

If you had told me, at least 2 years ago that Nintendo and another great devloper were going to team up with the Brothers Chaps and make a Strong Bad game, I wouldn't have believed it. Ever.

But they did. And it's pretty mindbogglingly really, as Strong Bad is a cult hit, but not a national mainstream or worldwide phenomenon. It's about as likely as a weekly internet webcomic getting a feature length movie released in theaters. That's pretty amazing in and of itself.

With something like a Strong Bad video game, i'd much rather see the license handled well and a release that has every little bug tested and every little bell polished before it it packages and gets shipped to the masses.

As they say, you don't send a cow to market just to eat a mooing hamburger.

.....actually, I just made that saying up. Yeah, yeah, I know it's crap. :P
  • edited July 2008
    Either that, or they ignore all of the other great games that Nintendo has given them or that Nintendo even provides such a great service, and they complain about how "Nintendo hates us" because weeks go by without them having gotten Super Mario RPG, or Kirby Super Star yet, when they tell Nintendo to jump.:P

I don't know about this. I mean, okay, yeah, maybe people should stop just pushing their pet game, but I think you're ignoring the fact that they've released some really really bad games in the meantime.
    There is no good reason for releasing, say, Ninja Combat but not, for example, Earthbound.
  • edited July 2008
    Er, I hope you guys can differentiate between the Nintendo that licenses games on their consoles and the Nintendo that actually creates the games on their consoles.
  • edited July 2008
    Er, I hope you guys can differentiate between the Nintendo that licenses games on their consoles and the Nintendo that actually creates the games on their consoles.
    What's your point?
    Right now, we're talking about downloads, and last time I checked, Nintendo has a good deal of control over what gets put out.
    Of course, I could be wrong, but that's certainly what it seems to be.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks for the responses.
    Perhaps "dictating" was a stronger word than I meant to use. :)
    Sorry about that Telltale and (If anyone from Nintendo reads this forum) Nintendo.
  • edited July 2008
    Personally, I would forgo the whole Wiiware release just to get the game released on PC within the next week. I like my Wii and all, but Telltale never had these kinds of delays that they were so tight lipped about with Sam and Max just being released on the PC. I'm also nervous that further games in the season may be delayed and there will not be any set schedule for release. To me, having this structure taken away just to have it on Wiiware really isn’t worth it. I'm aware that I may be the minority in my thinking.
  • edited July 2008
    There are several titles I'm anxiously awaiting, but I have no idea what sort of things need to be cleared up before they release a Virtual Console game. Who owns the rights, for example. Who gets paid, and how? A flat fee, or a per download rate? I imagine there's all sorts of things involved behind the scenes that can slow the process.
  • edited July 2008
    I never have problems with delayed games as long as the end result is a better product. I seriously doubt missing a projected release date(which hasn't even happened yet) would stop people from downloading SBCG4AP anyway. I do kinda hope that if the Wii version does end up getting delayed, the PC version won't though.

As for Nintendo, I love 'em, but I have to admit I have a bit of lingering animosity towards them for their treatment of the Mother series.
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    What's your point?
    Right now, we're talking about downloads, and last time I checked, Nintendo has a good deal of control over what gets put out.
    Of course, I could be wrong, but that's certainly what it seems to be.

I'll tell you what my point was.

I've been seeing this in the thread:
    If you had told me, at least 2 years ago that Nintendo and another great devloper were going to team up with the Brothers Chaps and make a Strong Bad game, I wouldn't have believed it. Ever.

I said that because Nintendo is not developing this game; Telltale is. Nintendo is merely approving what does and doesn't make it onto WiiWare.

I'm sorry, it's just that I'm anal and I don't like seeing people unable to differentiate between Nintendo the maker of the Wii Console and Nintendo the First-party game developer for said console.
  • edited July 2008
    I'll tell you what my point was.

I've been seeing this in the thread:

I said that because Nintendo is not developing this game; Telltale is. Nintendo is merely approving what does and doesn't make it onto WiiWare.

I'm sorry, it's just that I'm anal and I don't like seeing people unable to differentiate between Nintendo the maker of the Wii Console and Nintendo the First-party game developer for said console.

Making as in people putting it on the Wii.

That is obviously what I meant.

Yes, you are being anal. Extremly anal. Anal to the point of reading between the lines, and twisting my words to add things you just assume.

In fact, that's not called anal. That's just called "reading it incorrectly"

I know what I meant when I said that, and honestly.... I think you do, too. I never said anything that seemed as I didn't "understand" that Telltale programmed the game and Nintendo is releasing it.

I just said "Nintendo and Telltale making the game". Sorry if you read something ridiculous into that, but I think you know precisely what I meant. All I did was shorten the sentence, and put them into the same category of "producing the game"

I did say 'another great developer" obviously that meant Telltale making and Nintendo producing/releasing for their system.

Don't get cute with me, with pointless semantics, or use ridiculous assumptions you made up from my words, to try talk down to me like i'm an idiot. I believe you know exactly what I meant.
  • edited July 2008
    Making as in people putting it on the Wii.

That is obviously what I meant.

Yes, you are being anal. Extremly anal. Anal to the point of reading between the lines, and twisting my words to add things you just assume.

In fact, that's not called anal. That's just called "reading it incorrectly"

I know what I meant when I said that, and honestly.... I think you do, too. I never said anything that seemed as I didn't "understand" that Telltale programmed the game and Nintendo is releasing it.

I just said "Nintendo and Telltale making the game". Sorry if you read something ridiculous into that, but I think you know precisely what I meant. All I did was shorten the sentence, and put them into the same category of "producing the game"

I did say 'another great developer" obviously that meant Telltale making and Nintendo producing/releasing for their system.

Don't get cute with me, with pointless semantics, or use ridiculous assumptions you made up from my words, to try talk down to me like i'm an idiot. I believe you know exactly what I meant.

Take it to email or PMs if you want to fight, guys.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, I would rather not have had to say that. And in fact, fights irritate me, so i'd rather that just be the end of it. I'd rather not carry it any further, or get any PM's. I'd be just fine if it was dropped altogether.

I mean, I'm here for reasonable discussion about the Strong Bad game. Not to have words put into my mouth.

So, I'm sorry if I got over-defensive, though. I just don't appreciate that kind of treatment, since I'm not stupid nor a small child. Yeah, i'd rather the topic went back on track.
  • edited July 2008
    As for Nintendo, I love 'em, but I have to admit I have a bit of lingering animosity towards them for their treatment of the Mother series.

Now I believe that's a subject that everyone can agree on.
  • *Chant of "Fight!...Fight! Fight!" dies down*

anyways, I just hope they release it in July, BEFORE July 24th. Weird date, yes, but I seriously don't want it released while I'm on vacation.

(Meanwhile, Miles away in Nintendo Secret HQ)

"All right Telltale, when's the SCG4AP to be released?"

"How's about July 24th?"

"Sounds good, we'll release it with that other game your making... what is it... Monkey Island: Wii Edition...?"

lol, jk. =P
  • edited July 2008
    I'll bet that EarthBound will be the FINAL Game they'll end up releasing on the Virtual Console, when the Wii ends up replaced by its successor! Either that, or we'll wait until E3 2009 or 2010, and we'll have an announcement of the EarthBound Series being released on the DS, in a Compilation pack.
  • edited July 2008
    Wow, this thread keeps going off topic. IP bans and miscommunication.
    I don't think Nintendo had anything to do with the delay. Yes, the submission process takes time but it seems like Telltale was aware of the time since early in the process.
    The delay from June to July was Telltale's doing: they needed more time to work on the game. I could see the long time it's taking to get a set release date as a result of the submission process, but I think that's cause Nintendo is aware Telltale would rather delay a completed game a week to ensure monthly releases than not follow the schedule. What I mean is, it could very well be in Nintendo's power to release the game on the 21st, but they might be unable to guarantee an August 18th release for the 2nd game.

/End rambling
    Note: When I first posted this, I expected it to be message #22
  • edited July 2008
    Maybe they'll just be more expensive, and make TellTale release all five Action-sodes on a Disc, and we'll have the first ever piece of Strong Bad Merchandise in Retail Stores!
  • Maybe they'll just be more expensive, and make TellTale release all five Action-sodes on a Disc, and we'll have the first ever piece of Strong Bad Merchandise in Retail Stores!
    It won't be more expensive: Telltale said it'd be pricedthe same as Sam & Max ($9.00)

That'd be 900 wii points... though, I'd be real angry if they rounded it up to 1000 points! GRR!

(I only have 900 points on my account right now, lol. I don't wanna buy another card...)
  • edited July 2008
    That'd be 900 wii points... though, I'd be real angry if they rounded it up to 1000 points! GRR!

(I only have 900 points on my account right now, lol. I don't wanna buy another card...)

So if the first episode happens to be 900 points, you'll be able to enjoy the first fifth of SBCG4AP.

Otherwise... you'll have to buy more cards. :p
  • edited July 2008
    Well, if it's supposed to release in July, it would have to release on a Monday. We have two left. The 21st and the 28th.
  • edited July 2008
    Ninja wrote: »
    Well, if it's supposed to release in July, it would have to release on a Monday. We have two left. The 21st and the 28th.

actually a different game is being released on the 21st
  • edited July 2008
    actually a different game is being released on the 21st
    Unless they release more than one game at once.
    Which is, you know, entirely possible given Nintendo's erratic and unpredictable Wii Shop releases.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, I would rather not have had to say that. And in fact, fights irritate me, so i'd rather that just be the end of it. I'd rather not carry it any further, or get any PM's. I'd be just fine if it was dropped altogether.

I mean, I'm here for reasonable discussion about the Strong Bad game. Not to have words put into my mouth.

So, I'm sorry if I got over-defensive, though. I just don't appreciate that kind of treatment, since I'm not stupid nor a small child. Yeah, i'd rather the topic went back on track.

Well, I'm sorry. and you are absolutely right. I was being a dick. I can have a stick up my you-know-where at times (not literally, thank god), so I would like to apologize.
  • edited July 2008
    I think SBCG4AP will be released on July 28.

TellTale said that it would be playable at comic-con and I don't think they would say that if the game were to be released before comic-con.

But of course, this is just my opinion.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't have a Wii, so I'm more worried about the PC version.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't have a Wii, so I'm more worried about the PC version.

They will be released at the same time.

Whenever it will be......

Man, I'm so ready for this game.

It's the main reason that I got a Wii in the first place.
  • edited August 2008
    I just went on the nintendo channel on my wii and if you go on the list of games it has the other games that came out on the 15th but not sbcg4ap. mabey because nintendo has gone all causal games on us thay dont whant to show a game that has a man going around beating people up (even when all he dose in the line of beating people up is making all the other people in the game slide out a window) and saying C R balnk P alot.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    The SBCG4AP video might have already scrolled down since Nintendo released it a week before the game's release.
  • edited August 2008
    i think he means the PAL version.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.