Microsoft announces South Park game for XBLA. Could it be? [Nope :)]

edited July 2008 in General Chat
At E3, Microsoft announced a South Park game for XBLA - without mentioning the developer. Here's a (somewhat lame) teaser trailer. Could this be the "mystery franchise" we've been speculating about?
With no gameplay images and no additional information it's hard to tell, but it would certainly fit like a glove. It's as huge as implied, it would explain the secrecy and the license would fit Telltale well. Also, XBLA suits episodic (no confirmation yet on this one being episodic, though) and we know Telltale doesn't like to be bound to any single distribution platform.
It's still speculation, but it's easily the most plausible theory so far.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    That'd be epic. I'm one of the 5 people who actually liked the N64 SP games :p
  • edited July 2008
    Could very well be it. I'm a casual fan of the show and find it hilarious, but if it does turn out to be the series, I was kind of hoping for something really different then what they've been working on so far.
  • edited July 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »

they were awesome, chefs luv shack was too surprisingly
  • edited July 2008
    I'm hoping to get some co-op between the 4 boys, also I'd like some game play on top of all the inside jokes like Simpsons hit & run, as opposed to the family guy game which was funny but basically sucked all around otherwise.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I would love to make a South Park game. But no, this one isn't ours.
  • edited July 2008
    Aww. :(

<.<

>.>

Is it.... Monkey Island, then? *hides from the ensuing wrath*
  • edited July 2008
    Well, at least they told us. If the correct title is guessed, nothing will be said to deny or confirm it! We'll know for sure then.
  • edited July 2008
    In that case, I'm still going with Discworld. You all just wait! If it isn't Discworld, I'm going to eat my own kidney. You can quote me on that.
  • edited July 2008
    Only if Rincewind appears and is played by Eric Idle.

Actually, a new Discworld game would be rad anyway, but that'd make it even radder.
  • edited July 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly. Terry Pratchett has been one of my biggest influences, so another Discworld game, in any form, would be welcomed. I wouldn't need Rincewind necessarily, but Death as a major character would be a must.
  • edited July 2008
    I actually thought that when I was watching E3. I really hate South Park anyway, so thanks for settling my thoughts Emily!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Like everything else Telltale-related, we'll definitely update the forums and the blogs when a real announcement happens. Emily and I are usually champing at the bit to tell you guys everything, so the moment any cat is officially out of any bag, we'll be rushing to spread the news.
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    I would love to make a South Park game. But no, this one isn't ours.

Arrrr! You've ruined christmas for everyone!

In other news, does anyone know what WiiWare games have been released today?
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    so the moment any cat is officially out of any bag, we'll be rushing to spread the news.

cat-bag.jpg

So... spill. :D
  • edited July 2008
    StrongMatt wrote: »
    In other news, does anyone know what WiiWare games have been released today?

There was some eating contest game released. Yes, I'm serious.
  • edited July 2008
    cat-bag.jpg

So... spill. :D

but that cat is still half in the bag....
  • edited July 2008

South Park... ON THE N64?!?!?!?ALSO KNOWN AS THE KIDDY CONSOLE?!!?!?!?!
  • edited July 2008
    N64 had some great games. And since my friends and I invented a couple of Goldeneye-related drinking games, I would say the console was enjoyable for more than just kids.

And I, too, owned and liked the South Park game. It was shallow and seemed hastily thrown together, but it was still fun to make other players dance by shooting them with the alien device.
    edited July 2008

What on earth? How old are you, man?
  • edited July 2008

Turok
    Duke Nukem
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Doom 64
    Mortal Kombat
    War Gods
    Resident Evil 2
    Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
    Carmageddon 64
    Daikatana
    Quake 64/Quake 2
    Shadow Man

And that's just a partial list. It's hardly a "kiddy console".
  • edited July 2008
    pff, kiddy stuff...i'd let my children play a good round of resident evil or quake any day...;)
  • edited July 2008
    I completely forgot about Conker's Bad Fur Day! Good game, that.
  • edited July 2008
    Turok
    Duke Nukem
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Doom 64
    Mortal Kombat
    War Gods
    Resident Evil 2
    Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
    Carmageddon 64
    Daikatana
    Quake 64/Quake 2
    Shadow Man

And that's just a partial list. It's hardly a "kiddy console".
    I meant alot of people call N64 a 'Kiddy Console'Now that I know of these games, I'm starting to wonder HOW it's a Kiddy Console.
  • edited July 2008
    I meant alot of people call N64 a 'Kiddy Console'

I find that it's best to ignore people's opinions about consoles. For example, I find the whole 360 vs PS3 battle to be no different than the Coke vs Pepsi battle. Different strokes, and all that.
  • edited July 2008
    I meant alot of people call N64 a 'Kiddy Console'Now that I know of these games, I'm starting to wonder HOW it's a Kiddy Console.

its cos nintendo mainly make games with strong colours not grey scale making games less adult.

the n64 was my favourite console ever (so far) due to the games and controller etc
  • edited July 2008
    A lot of the kiddy image comes from how mad they were about censorship in the NES days. Some of the things they wanted changing with Maniac Mansion were ridiculous.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008

I was all over that Southpark Turok clone!
  • edited July 2008
    patters wrote: »
    its cos nintendo mainly make games with strong colours not grey scale making games less adult.

the n64 was my favourite console ever (so far) due to the games and controller etc

I don't think strong colors makes something a kiddy game.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008

That sounds like kiddy talk to me, you're so not invited to the big kid table.
  • edited July 2008
    patters wrote: »

No, it's more because Nintendo first- and second- party offerings are usually (there are some exceptions, like Geist, but that wasn't a very good game from what I hear) 'family' games.
    There's a big difference between 'kids' and 'family,' though. Huge difference, really.
    It's what separates Doctor Who from The Sarah Jane Adventures. It's the difference between Wall-E and Underdog (other than, you know, the fact that one of them sucked and the other didn't). It's also not well-defined. Or defined at all, really.
  • edited July 2008

neither do i, but society does. a lot of games that are considered adult are greyish gears of war, resident evil, the new gta. where games considered childish are often more colourful. its often the same with films and tv.
  • edited July 2008

Haven't you heard? Real life is brown. At least that's what I've learned from recent video games with "realistic", high-def graphics.
  • edited July 2008
    Aye. Vibrancy does not mean childish. There are some games that benefit from muted colors, (Survival Horror titles, games set in a dystopia, etc.) but most recent titles could definitely use an injection of hues.
    edited July 2008
    eg: lol
  • edited July 2008
    ^ Heh, that came to my mind too. People are never satisfied.
  • edited July 2008
    Now if they ever make a bright, colorful Shadowrun game I'll eat my hat!

Actually, no I won't. I don't have a hat, and I'd just be thrilled that they made another Shadowrun game. No, I don't count that multiplayer train wreck, either.
  • edited July 2008

Team Fortress 2

>.>
  • edited July 2008
    I love the Diablo III art. Some of the screenshots almost look like paintings.
  • edited July 2008
    I never played the Diablo games, but I thought I check out what the fuss was about and the screenshots look great. I don't see what they'd want done to them.
  • edited July 2008
    don't you see all the bright colours, the kittens and bunnies? damn, it's just so childish. i bet if you defeat enemies they don't die but just vanish in a fountain of red...kiddy stuff. also the name...diablo...that sounds like directly from a lame saturday morning cartoon.:rolleyes:

:D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.