Thank you, Downloadable Content!

edited July 2008 in General Chat
Have you noticed how over the last couple of years, the number of remakes, continuing if age old franchises and generally the interest in retro gaming has increased considerably?

We have Sam & Max from Telltale plus a noticeable increase in adventure game titles, Bionic Commando is being both continued and remade, Nintendo and other companies are offering loads of retro games for purchase, an last but definitely not least, there is a brand new sprite based Mega Man coming out!

I guess the arrival of downloadable content for the masses had this wonderful effect that I honestly didn't foresee. These are very interesting times, when what used to be hopeless wishes for game remakes are now becoming realistic. I would go as far as to say: 'very cool'.

Comments

• ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I'm right there with you on retro and remakes. But I mainly value online content distribution simply because the stakes are not as high as distributing via retail. Developers are free to take greater risks with their products and avoid mimicking popular concepts (space marines anyone?). Gamers can take greater risks exploring new content because buying online is typically less expensive. I won't be as dramatic as to call it a renaissance movement casting away the shackles of retail, but I'd definitely call online content distribution totally sweet.
  • edited July 2008
    I completely agree with you. As more and more game developers join forces with the big corporations, I believe the truly great games of the near future are going to come from the small companies taking chances.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.