Ben There, Dan That!

edited August 2008 in General Chat
Hello. I'm terribly sorry, this is a little bit spammy. But hopefully it's lovely and appreciated spam, which I think makes it alright.

I've recently released a pointy-clicky adventure game called Ben There, Dan That! It's sort of an homage to the likes of Sam and Max, DoTT, Full Throttle, Monkey Island et al.

It's also completely free, which is why legally speaking this isn't spam, technically.

It's written by and somewhat-narcissistically starring the eponymous Dan and Ben, a couple of layabout geeks who always seem to find themselves knee-deep in high-adventure. People are saying very nice things about it on The Internet, and I thought you lot would probably appreciate it, too.

Here's the link. Do let me know what you think.

All the best, and sorrysorrysorry,

Dan

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Ack, I feel really dirty and spammy. I'm so so sorry.
  • edited July 2008
    I've been playing this since last night, it's been great so far. Love the humour, and the puzzles all make a lot of sense.

I'm a bit stuck on the bit where
    you have to heat up the guy in the underground to get him to pull out the cog though. Tried giving him a thermos of lava and all sorts, but nothing's working ):
  • edited July 2008
    You need to
    get the moonshine off the drunks. That'll warm him up alright.

Pay attention to their story, that'll clue you in about what'll knock them out of their drunken stupor.

And thanks for liking the game!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Telling people about a free adventure game you made yourself isn't spam. :) At least not until you make a post about it on every forum on the entire board, and then start posting replies to your own threads asking why people aren't talking to you, and then you start sending private messages to the admins asking us whats wrong with your threads, and why we suck so much for not replying to your previous private messages, and I ban you. But that didn't happen! You just posted a link to a game that looks pretty cool.

So, thanks for the link! I'll be sure and check it out this weekend.
  • edited July 2008
    Hey, this is pretty cool! I only had a few mins at it, but I'll try to finish it someday. Nice work. :)
  • MelMel
    edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Telling people about a free adventure game you made yourself isn't spam. :) At least not until you make a post about it on every forum on the entire board, and then start posting replies to your own threads asking why people aren't talking to you, and then you start sending private messages to the admins asking us whats wrong with your threads, and why we suck so much for not replying to your previous private messages, and I ban you. But that didn't happen! You just posted a link to a game that looks pretty cool.

They hit the big time! Wooo! I really, really want to try this, but I'm in the midst of finishing up something big. I'll definitely bookmark the page. :)

And the little guys in the game are cute!!
  • edited July 2008
    Mel wrote: »
    I'll definitely bookmark the page. :)
    I've bookmarked it as well, since I'm already in the progress of replaying The Longest Journey, and playing through Zac McKraken: Between Time and Space and A Tale of Two Kingdoms, and I don't think I can handle starting another game without completely losing track of what's going on in the others.
  • edited July 2008
    Telling people about a free adventure game you made yourself isn't spam. At least not until you make a post about it on every forum on the entire board, and then start posting replies to your own threads asking why people aren't talking to you, and then you start sending private messages to the admins asking us whats wrong with your threads, and why we suck so much for not replying to your previous private messages, and I ban you. But that didn't happen! You just posted a link to a game that looks pretty cool.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it, everyone...!
  • edited July 2008
    Did you get a chance to try it, Jake?? Anyone?

Feedback is always much appreciated ;)

d
  • edited July 2008
    What in the world is this?

Not another Sam&max type thing.. is it?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I haven't had a chance yet, but I will!
  • edited July 2008
    I got it and got to the part where they're in their flat which is practically the beginning, but have hardly had time to play.
  • edited July 2008
    I liked this a lot. Some of the LucasArts references in particular were pretty funny. I had just finished playing Full Throttle, so the "I'm not putting my lips on that" response to trying to talk to the Full Throttle poster was hilarious. The writing did take the "look how silly adventure gaming conventions are" too far though. A few jokes would have been funny, but doing it over and over got a bit tired. The ending was also really stupid. But overall highly recommended. I'd donate to the cause, but I don't use paypal.
  • edited July 2008
    Started this game the other night, and am enjoying it so far. Haven't had much time to play, though.

Good work, though, I'm quite impressed!
  • edited August 2008
    Ok, now I've finished it! Thanks Dan & Ben, it was quite an entertaining game....

I was kind of expecting a final endgame puzzle after completing all the dimensions but I guess it doesn't matter really about that... Kept me very amused for several journeys on the bus to and from work.
  • edited August 2008
    Lookks good, I'll play it later.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.