The Dark Knight

edited August 2008 in General Chat
Just got back from the movie, and wow does it live up to the hype. There were actually some surprises in the movie... the trailers actually led me to believe certain things about the story that turned out to be untrue. And the much ballyhooed Ledger performance was, to put it bluntly, amazing. Mannerisms and line delivery were spot on... a much different Joker than the one Jack Nicholson portrayed. Two thumbs and a pinky up.

What did other people think of this movie (without spoiling anything)?

Comments

• Well, I think I might see it today, if time allows, so I'll be back later...

Anyways, all the reviews sound good, so I really look forward to it! =D
  • edited July 2008
    I like how they made the Joker look.He looks crazy, but I think his make-up guy was probably drunk when he applied the make-up.
  • edited July 2008
    I like how they made the Joker look.He looks crazy, but I think his make-up guy was probably drunk when he applied the make-up.
    I think that's what they were going for.

Anyway, I'm probably going to see it today or tomorrow, depending on how things work out.
  • edited July 2008
    I believe the producers wanted a Joker that reflects the dark elements of the modern Gothem City and the psychological profile of the Batman himself. In the past, the Joker was viewed as a representation of the desires of the criminal mind to create terror as well as the thirst for mayhem and violence. The Joker in the movie is what the audience would expect from a villian who is a formidable foe for the hero, and he is certainly the kind of guy that doesn't clown around:D.
  • edited July 2008
    vyperspit wrote: »
    and he is certainly the kind of guy that doesn't clown around:D.

But is still not very serious, "Why so serious?"
  • edited July 2008
    My brother's going to it in IMAX tonight. I'm way excited to see it.
  • Well, looking at Jack Nicholson's Joker, (Who looks much more like the Comic Book character), and Ledger's (WHo looks like a Physchopath who put on lipstick while drunk) very big diffrence.

Still, the Comic's and all do say that the Joker is a Physchopath- the reason he hasn't been arrested is because he took the Insanity Plea, which means you don't go to jail because u were legally Insane at the time...

So, The New look much more represents a Mad Man, rather than a more Family-typed Jack N.
  • edited July 2008
    Still, the Comic's and all do say that the Joker is a Physchopath- the reason he hasn't been arrested is because he took the Insanity Plea, which means you don't go to jail because u were legally Insane at the time...

I disagree. The Joker is psychopathic, but I think he is concious enough to know what he is doing is wrong. As far as I could tell, he's a sadistic sociopath, a person who is aware of his actions but has total disregaurd for other people's lives, and an impulsive need to inflict pain for his amusement. I was a student in abnormal psychology, ok.
  • edited July 2008
    For me, the move was just a little too dark and it dragged on a little too long. I am a huge Batman fan but this movie just seemed too chaotic. Some of the killings were very disturbing, which was the intent, but the amount of destruction caused by the Joker was just too over the top. I mean, was any of the city left in tact once he was done? Also, I think Leger's performance was a bit overrated and I believe is being praised so heavily for sentimental reasons. He was good, but I think Nicholson's Joker better captured the character. Leger's Joker really didn’t "joke" all that much, he was just a psychopath. Still, it was a great movie, better than all other Batman movies besides 1989 Batman and Batman Begins. Oh, and the way Two face was handled, though brief, was awesome.
  • edited July 2008
    It's not out here yet *grunts*
  • edited July 2008
    TODAY IS THE DAY!

I'm seeing it as soon as the theater opens. I prefer afternoon showings since it's usually not as busy.
  • edited July 2008
    It was good. That's all I'm going to say.
  • edited July 2008
    Just got back from seeing it.
    Awesome film. I know Ledger's performance has been cited by many people before, but it really was good.
    I think that the people behind this film really understood the psychological element to Batman (something that Schumacher never did). Towards the end of the movie, it struck me how utterly ridiculous Batman himself is. A guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime? That's just silly. But that just made it even more amazing how well it all worked, and it works because they realize that in order to make an effective Batman movie, you need to explore things like morality and insanity and what it means to be a hero and even if being 'heroic' is the right thing to do.

So, um, anyway, yeah. Great film.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2008
    EMAN528 wrote: »
    Oh, and the way Two face was handled, though brief, was awesome.

My thought exactly, his transformation puts Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal in line with Sunday's morning cartoons.
  • edited July 2008
    i saw it last night, and thought it was fantastic. All the Joker was trying to do was prove that everyone else is just as bad as he is. IMO, Ledger's performance was legendary. I pretty much loved everything about this movie.
  • edited July 2008
    I thought that the movie was like a juggling act that dragged on for far too long before ending. Heath Ledger blows Nicholson's nuts off in terms of Joker awesomeness. The scenes with Batman in them were instantly forgettable. Then again, I never liked Batman; I only liked the bad guys.
    I would have been happy, though, if through the entire movie the Joker was
    dressed in that nurse uniform and wig

I went to see the movie with my friends and we found ourselves to the only people laughing when
    the Joker blows up the hospital, looks back and hits the detonator a few times before it blows up completely
  • edited July 2008
    It wasn't meant to be funny. My audience sucked and laughed at everything Joker did. And I mean EVERYTHING!!!
  • edited July 2008
    Really? I thought that scene was pretty amusing.
  • edited July 2008
    I liked it. Saw it in IMAX. :) Though we had a bit of a giggly audience, too.
  • edited July 2008
    Finally saw it. Definitely the best Batman film ever, even if Bale was constantly annoying with his growling.

As for Ledger's Joker, I was truly amazed. He's gotta have a posthumous Oscar for that. The only thing I miss is that Nicholson's Joker had a certain grandeur that this Joker didn't. But what he lacked in class, he made up for in sheer insanity.
  • edited July 2008
    I never liked Nocolson's Joker, and I'm sure I'm the only Joker fan ever to think so. But Ledger's was, well. Damn.

It was pretty close. As Shagg up above said, there was a lack of "class" that I usually associate with my favorite villain. But I went into the theater expecting it to be gone, because this version wasn't really wearing the suit and tie that I've grown so fond of. And they actually got the whole origin story deal perfect in my eyes, so I can't fault this version too much at all. It just worked.
  • edited July 2008
    ^ Exactly. His "faults" aren't really faults at all, when taken into consideration. They could have just called this film "The Joker", really. He stole the show and then some.

Oh, and Two-Face: incredible effect there. He no longer looks like he's made of grape bubble gum, like the Jones version.
  • edited July 2008
    Or like he's half giant, Angry Bad Complexion Smurf like in the Animated Series?

I would've probably preferred a slightly cleaner shirt, but it all works out I suppose. And he definitely works in the Begins universe. And I have to admit, I loved the nods to my favorite Joker stories.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm hopefully seeing the film tomorrow! I really can't wait :)
  • edited July 2008
    Or like he's half giant, Angry Bad Complexion Smurf like in the Animated Series?

Don't. Mock. The. Animated. Series.
  • edited July 2008
    I like Two-Face because the outline of his character is unique. In my opinion, Two-Face's appearence symbolizes the two divisions of the human soul, the light and pure side, and the dark and corrupted side. Both halves share both the same body and mind, but Harvey Dent(Two-Face) was the manifestation of a man's struggle to choose right from wrong. Due to the traumatizing death of a lover, Harvey became consumed with anger, wrath, and confusion and developed a distrust of humanity. But because his moralities are in conflict with each other, he relies on chance to make decisions for him. On the other hand, instead of putting his faith on his continence, which is a human characteristic, Two-Face turned his trust in chance because it is neither good or evil. All he needs is a flip of a coin to decide a victim's fate.
  • vyperspit wrote: »
    I like Two-Face because the outline of his character is unique. In my opinion, Two-Face's appearence symbolizes the two divisions of the human soul, the light and pure side, and the dark and corrupted side. Both halves share both the same body and mind, but Harvey Dent(Two-Face) was the manifestation of a man's struggle to choose right from wrong. Due to the traumatizing death of a lover, Harvey became consumed with anger, wrath, and confusion and developed a distrust of humanity. But because his moralities are in conflict with each other, he relies on chance to make decisions for him. On the other hand, instead of putting his faith on his continence, which is a human characteristic, Two-Face turned his trust in chance because it is neither good or evil. All he needs is a flip of a coin to decide a victim's fate.
    Wow. If I could understand a word of that, I'd say "Great way to put it."
  • edited July 2008
    Really? I thought their observations were rather basic, honestly. It was the very point that Nolan and Goyer were going for with Two Face, which was excellent because it was always how I'd seen Two Face.
  • Really? I thought their observations were rather basic, honestly. It was the very point that Nolan and Goyer were going for with Two Face, which was excellent because it was always how I'd seen Two Face.
    That's great and all, but I'm obssessed with the Costumes, Make-up, and visual effects of this Movie. How did they create such a Half-toaster-faced character on a Handsome-looking guy? The Same with Heath Ledger, that make-up for the Joker was great!

and I loved how at the end
    they left Joker hanging on by a Thread. They don't even tell you what's happening to him... they just leave him hanging. Either way, we all know he won
  • edited July 2008
    The Make-up for the Joker was....interesting. The whole look was far less, well, CLEAN than I'd ever make it. I've always liked how the Joker always looked clean-cut, but all the colors were warped. But I can accept this version too, even though the meaning is a bit less subtle.

Two-Face, now he looked absolutely perfect.
  • The Make-up for the Joker was....interesting. The whole look was far less, well, CLEAN than I'd ever make it. I've always liked how the Joker always looked clean-cut, but all the colors were warped. But I can accept this version too, even though the meaning is a bit less subtle.

Two-Face, now he looked absolutely perfect.
    way better than ol' Purple Face weirdo in Jones' version. I really liked the Joker to be messy. He's a PYSCHOPATH. The man's got no time to look good.

I really liked this version of him. Especially all the time's he asks,
    "Wonder how I got these Scars?"

That was so Creepy/awesome at the same time.
  • edited July 2008
    Definately one of the best movies I've seen all summer. Though I really can't tell if I liked that, or Iron Man mor. Meh.:rolleyes:
  • edited July 2008
    Klemmins wrote: »
    It wasn't meant to be funny. My audience sucked and laughed at everything Joker did. And I mean EVERYTHING!!!

i thought it was more the kind of joke that you laughed at, and then felt bad about it, the kind of joke that the Joker specializes in.
  • edited July 2008
    vyperspit wrote: »
    By the way, you did a good job at telling some of the biggest suprises in the movie.
  • edited July 2008
    Silly Bob wrote: »
    i thought it was more the kind of joke that you laughed at, and then felt bad about it, the kind of joke that the Joker specializes in.

...THAT'S it.

That's what the cringing through laughter was. xD

Only, I tended to cringe first, then laugh.

....Except with the detonator scene.

"HAHAHA....oh crap, he blew up a hospital. Ha. *cringe*"
  • edited July 2008
    @Sonicdude: How so? Everything he mentioned is common knowledge to Batman fans.
  • edited July 2008
    :o Oh. Never really was a batman fan. I saw the movies 'cause they were majorly awsome according to reviews. And the reviews were definately right.:D
  • see, the way Joker did things were somewhat Funny. you laugh, then he blows something up... some examples for ppl who have already seen it:

This one is just silly :
    *Joker presses detotonater* *Few windows blow open, bad damage happens*

*Joker seems Displeased and unhappy* *presses detonater again, Whole Hospital explodes and Collapses, Joker rusn off laughing*

The Audience laughed at about where he seems displeased. it was stupid. Then they cringed in horror as he did the second thing.
    *Has Man at Knife-point in Police Holding Cell* "I would like my Phone Call" *Audience Laugh*

Ten seconds later, the guys stomach has a DETONATER IN IT. NO LAUGHES. *CRINGING* *Blows up*

That was the scary and gross part.

ok, the best part was this: Listen to this: THE WHOLE AUDIENCE APPLAUDED WHEN
    Commander Gordon was revealed to be alive

That was awesome. Never in a Movie experience have I had an audience clap in the middle of a movie?! That was too cool. Too cool.
  • edited July 2008
    Am I the only one who thought the special effects on Two-face were overdone? This was the one opportunity to have a truly believable live-action Two-face, and we get something that (in my opinion) looked like it came from Terminator 3.

Still, in terms of character development, I thought it was perfect. And I really liked the way they handled the coin.
  • edited July 2008
    I think if they made it too realistic, it might have been a bit too grotesque for the MPAA's comfort.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.