The Walking Dead Season 1 won't play

I previously bought this game a long time ago on my other computer, now I wanted to play it over so I can combine my own choices between S1 and S2, so I bought it again to play. I was playing it just fine yesterday, apart from some major lag during the first running away scene with Lee. But now all of a sudden, I can't even play the game at all. Each time I load the game up, I click the screen like it tells me, then each time it makes me put my username and password. Then after I put my info in. . .that's it. I just stare at the text "THE WALKING DEAD". I can't click anything, or go anywhere from there until I either "crtl-alt-del" or push the windows button to leave the game. I even tried to do the "the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool" that I saw hear, twice, but that didn't accomplish anything. Some help on this matter would be much appreciated. I would just switch to my Xbox, but I don't really feel like buying the same game three separate times, no matter how good it is.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

If you already ran the Support Tool, you can copy and paste the link you created in this thread, and me or another forum moderator would be happy to try and assist you with your issue.

• If you already ran the Support Tool, you can copy and paste the link you created in this thread, and me or another forum moderator would be happy to try and assist you with your issue.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I am not sure what's happening there, but i suggest you delete the Login data from the registry.

First, open a command window.
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question:
    REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher"

Then try if the game lets you login properly.

If that doesn't change anything, please try renaming the "The Walking Dead" folder in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\
    to anything else to deactivate it, as a test.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rodij8

• Great! I did the first option you gave me, with the command window, and it finally connected and let me play. I appreciate your help very much!

DjNDB posted: »

I am not sure what's happening there, but i suggest you delete the Login data from the registry. First, open a command window. Windows XP:

• Hey there i did the first step but then the game says it has failed to verify the ownership status of my account and a retry option when i press the reply button nothing happens
    p.s verified my account via phone

• when i press the retry* button

BMG949698 posted: »

Hey there i did the first step but then the game says it has failed to verify the ownership status of my account and a retry option when i press the reply button nothing happens p.s verified my account via phone

I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Also, if you are experiencing any crashing or error messages, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

BMG949698 posted: »

when i press the retry* button

• Im having the same problem! put it on my pc and when i open it says to enter account which i do then click ok and then nothing happens! i just hear the background noises and see the title nothing happens....

If you can hear the background noises, but are unable to see the game's menu, please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Alt+Enter for PC) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and/or graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

Im having the same problem! put it on my pc and when i open it says to enter account which i do then click ok and then nothing happens! i just hear the background noises and see the title nothing happens....

• im having the same issue at nightingale and i tried to fix you said here and it wouldn't pop up the menu it would still be stuck on the picture of the walking dead. also my game was already in windowed mode and was how i was playing it before this issue.

also heard this might be something you will need https://www.sendspace.com/file/89pa51

If you can hear the background noises, but are unable to see the game's menu, please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank

Can you please clarify if when you become stuck, that it says 'Connecting...' at the bottom, or is it only the words 'The Walking Dead' displayed on-screen? Could you please take a screenshot of when you become stuck?

stevest posted: »

im having the same issue at nightingale and i tried to fix you said here and it wouldn't pop up the menu it would still be stuck on the pict

• its right after i put in my telltale info, then its the screen of the walking dead and no loading or connecting at the bottom i can also still hear the sound of the like login with the flies Alt text

Can you please clarify if when you become stuck, that it says 'Connecting...' at the bottom, or is it only the words 'The Walking Dead' displayed on-screen? Could you please take a screenshot of when you become stuck?

Below are a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Try starting the game both connected to the internet, and disconnected from the internet.

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Run the game As an Administrator

5) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game’s icon, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

stevest posted: »

its right after i put in my telltale info, then its the screen of the walking dead and no loading or connecting at the bottom i can also still hear the sound of the like login with the flies

• edited February 2015

Good Day, Didn't found some appropriate thread to post it so i'll post it here...
    I bought on steam The Walking Dead 1 (with 300 days DLC) The Walking Dead 2 on 28-th January 2015.

The funny fact, that when i tried to start the game, there was a black screen, with the walking dead logo, then appeared text to click to start, typing loading and crash...

Season 2 works perfectly, even all other steam games works ok...

Follow some steam support FAQ tips, telltale tips, updating drivers, softwares, cleaning cache, compatibility try outs and nothing, so steam support gave me email adress support@telltalegames.com which i wrote on the same day of purchase, even got a Ticket ID #37922, then added some crash info to second email, meanwhile were playing season 2 that depends on season 1 decisions, also in far past i've played season 1, but yet wanted to get some remind + the 300 days DLC...

Past a week, no response, i wrote again, as usual received automatically response with ticket ID #, and nothing yet...
    sounds like no1 really care enough about the support for the customer service, people wasting money & time to try and resolve the problem but no1 even reply or check the issue, this is really frustrating...

although your games are very interesting, I am very disappointed with your technical support stuff that didn't found a minute to response or even ask for some info about that issue...

Would like to get some response on E-MAIL ASAP...

Found a Solution in this Thread, But yet not really Glad with the "Customer Support" that made me wait almost 10 days and yet no response been made so far from TellTale Support

• Same problem here :(

• edited February 2015

One More Week Have Passed...
    And yet, No Answer from the Telltale Support, not on Email, Not on Their Own Forum...

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. If you are experiencing any issues starting The Walking Dead: Season One through Steam, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further with your particular issue.

• edited February 2015

I did it and sent it by email 2 weeks ago before I even posted a reply in this Thread...
    But if you decided to answer to me, i'll make this process again & post the Link here...

I found a solution but it's not quiet good, It asks to get two thigs, first is to go offline on steam and the second it actually needed to be disconnected from internet by physical disconnecting from wifi and\or Ethernet Cable from my laptop...
    Only after taht the game is loading without crashing after I press any key to start the game, but it somehow crashed in middle of episod, and while making any actions (for player) it lagging so hard each time the game "Thinks" (loading next movement) for example a shotgun action to load the shell, after i shoot it freezes for 3 seconds then continues... and all this happends every action taken...

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. If you are experiencing any issues starting The Walking Dead: Season One through Steam, plea

If you have run the Support Tool and sent it in an email to Support but you have not received a reply yet, could you please copy and paste the Download Link to your Support Tool in a reply here? I could then look over your Support Tool information and assist you here if you would like.

LHitmaN posted: »

I did it and sent it by email 2 weeks ago before I even posted a reply in this Thread... But if you decided to answer to me, i'll make this

• I just posted the link in previous message, check the "Link here..."

If you have run the Support Tool and sent it in an email to Support but you have not received a reply yet, could you please copy and paste t

After looking over your Support Tool information, it appears that your computer is has both an integrated Intel HD Graphics card, and an NVidia GeForce card. Please make sure that your computer is using your more powerful graphics card to play the game by enabling the more powerful graphics card through Optimus. To do this, please follow the steps in This Article.

Your Intel HD graphics card's drivers have also not been updated in a while. I recommend updating the drivers of your integrated card as well, and see if that improves the performance of the game.

I just posted the link in previous message, check the "Link here..."

• Done, and yet lagging, by the way, I can't receive Trading Card in steam while I playing The Walking Dead Season 1, and it works only when Ethernet cable is physically out of the notebook and steam is in offline mode...
    Not to mention it's impossible to play , all games on steam, even The Walking Dead Season 2 works on my laptop perfectly except this one...
    Thought, I played The Walking Dead 2-3 years ago from the same laptop (not from steam), and finished all the chapters & episodes...
    I am disappointed =(

After looking over your Support Tool information, it appears that your computer is has both an integrated Intel HD Graphics card, and an NVi

My apologies, if you are playing in Offline Mode on Steam, the Steam features of the game will not be able to function, as they need to be connected to Steam in order to unlock them.

If you are experiencing issues after updating the drivers on your Intel HD card and/or after switching to use your more powerful graphics card, I am unfortunately out of potential solutions to resolve your issue. My apologies I am unable to assist you further with your issue.

Done, and yet lagging, by the way, I can't receive Trading Card in steam while I playing The Walking Dead Season 1, and it works only when E

• I have Updated all Drivers on GeForce and Intel HD Graphic Chipsets...

Even tried to run the game from Intel HD and GeForce, yet, the game is showing error whenever I "Click to Continue" there is "connecting" line text and error appears:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Application Version: 2014.4.25.20794
    Application Timestamp: 535ae012
    Fault Module Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2014.4.25.20794
    Fault Module Timestamp: 535ae012
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0017a4c0
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The Walking Dead 2 Works Perfectly, I even Downloaded a long time ago from torrent "The Walking Dead 1" on this same laptop and it worked perfectly, this is why I bought the bundle of the games TWD 1-2 and Portal 1-2 in Steam - Cause of Nostalgy + continue of TWD + the "400 days" DLC that I've been bought separately
    Yet in Offline mode the game is lagging a lot (whenever other games runs perfectly with no freezes) and some time later it also crashes...
    Can't even get achievments or trading card (cause of the steam offline mode).

It Shouldn't be such way, Telltale Games are a good company, I even played Borderlands on almost full graphics without lagging when there was a steam free week playing...

I Really hope you can find some fixes for this bug or any help would be appriciated, looks like I wasted money for nothing =(

My apologies, if you are playing in Offline Mode on Steam, the Steam features of the game will not be able to function, as they need to be c

• i have same problem, the game stuck at words "The Walking Dead" and hear the voice from the menu and nothing happens

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

i have same problem, the game stuck at words "The Walking Dead" and hear the voice from the menu and nothing happens

• https://www.sendspace.com/file/vo57fx this is my support tool link

i have same problem, the game stuck at words "The Walking Dead" and hear the voice from the menu and nothing happens

Can you please clarify if you are currently playing the Telltale Games version purchased from our website, or the Steam version of the game?

If you are currently stuck at the Title Screen, please first make sure that you have disabled any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may interfere with the connection from completing successfully. If the issue persists, you can also try updating your graphics card's drivers to the latest version, as they seem to have not been updated in a while. Then try starting the game again.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/vo57fx this is my support tool link

This discussion has been closed.