The Bone Info Thread (WARNING: Might be long load)

edited March 2005 in Bone
Why?, Cuz for some reason I like to make long posts when its late at night and I'm tired. hmm..? Whats that? Oh yes,

Bone...Sorry in advance if its stuff you already know.. it doesent matter really!

Bone is amazing. It would make a perfect adventure game.
I've been playing adventure games since Hit the Road came out. I loved it. Same with all of the other classics...full
throttle, day of the tenticle, the monkey islands etc...
I never played Grim Fandango unfortunatly. These games are hard to come by now... I had them all for mac back in the day but now I have a pc so its been years since I've played them (except for the monkey islands).

Anyways, yea sure.... Bone is great! You get sucked in the story and you can't put it down. I don't think the game will be based off the first Book alone. Its way too short for a game. It's probably going to be the whole story if anything...even though the whole story is a long one. So expect a really big game. Maybe they'll break it into Two or Three games...but anything less then it'll be way too short.

I've know about bone for awhile and its well worth the read. I totally recommend it for those of you who have doubts.

Its full of humor,
bone11.jpg
bread.jpg

adventure
adventure.jpg

action
action.jpg

Gambling!
bonecom07.jpg

Violence!
violence.jpg

Suspence!
suspence.jpg

Drama!
fairy.jpg

and even some romance.
Meeting.jpg
bone05.jpg

There were orignally 55 issues made for bone. Then were later made into 9 volumes of black and white goodness.

0963660942.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
Out From Boneville
0963660950.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
The Great Cow Race
0963660969.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Eyes Of the Storm
1888963018.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
The Dragonslayer
1888963026.01._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Rockjaw: Master of the Eastern Border
1888963050.01._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Old Man's Cave
1888963093.01._PE32_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Ghost Circles
1888963131.01._PE32_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Treasure Hunters
1888963166.01._PE32_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Crown of Horns

Then recently they were all compiled into a 1,300 page one volume edition (hard and soft cover).
OVE.gif
On top of that now all nine volumes are being re-done in colour starting with the first out from boneville.
0439706238.01._PE32_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
The website for that is here : http://www.scholastic.com/bone/
Pics from here: http://members.tripod.com/~scottishscott/main.html

So have yourself a slice of quiche, pull up a chair and read BONE!

k thanks!
ani.gif

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Thanks for the info and the screenshots.

About your warning for "a long post" I have and advice to reduce the amount of scrolling needed to get to the end. Stop using these carriage returns in the middle of a sentence please...
  • edited February 2005
    I normaly have the attention span of a gold fish. For this I made an exception. Thanks for filling me in.
  • edited February 2005
    I had them all for mac back in the day but now I have a pc so its been years since I've played them

If you still have them you can possibly play the Mac games on your PC via scummVM, though I've only ever tried the PC DOS games so don't shoot me if the Mac versions don't work....

http://www.scummvm.org

And the front end fro scummVM Quick n Easy helps too;

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2005
    xChri5x, that was a very informative post. Thanks!

Also, please note that our good friend Troy has added a Bone discussion forum.

So discuss away!
  • edited February 2005
    Woot Great info :D

on that site you posted is a nice wallpaper screensaver :(|)

i begin to like Bone

should i start with the bundeled volume one
    or the Out Of Boneville collor editon? :-/
  • edited February 2005
    Regarding the story of the game:

Sure, they can follow the tale in comics, but I'm not sure how that would work out. Kinda takes the suspence and some of the excitement out of it for the people already familiar with the story. There'll be lots of room for fun stuff, don't get me wrong, but maybe an new storyline set in the midst of the original saga would be better.

Jeff Smith has left more than enough of both time and space to play with for others and that's excatly what I want from this game. Same setting different story.
  • edited February 2005
    Well the sheer nature of the two mediums leaves LOTS of room. Bone is stuck in the valley for a rather extended period of time (several months, I don't specifically remember but its a huge chunk of time).In the book the time lapse just gets played off. Given the brevity of a comic book, you sort of have to do that. With a game, it can be much longer and get much more detailed.
  • edited February 2005
    My point exactly.
    And I'd like to see more of that extra room than the story I already know.

Mmmmmmmm :) I just can't wait to explore the valley and meet all the people/creatures.
  • edited February 2005
    If you recall LucasArts put out an Adventure based on the movie Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. Bits were added, removed and jigged to make it a perfectly playable game for everyone who had already seen the movie.

However I think I'm going to buy / read the Boneville compendium *after* playing the game(s) so as I get that extra bit of surprise from the game - and won't be disappointed when bits I liked from the comics are omitted from the game.
  • edited February 2005
    However I think I'm going to buy / read the Boneville compendium *after* playing the game(s) so as I get that extra bit of surprise from the game - and won't be disappointed when bits I liked from the comics are omitted from the game.

You could buy the book now, not read it for awhile, and then not have to worry about the book going out of print. From what I've read, the one-volume addition is a limited quantity thing. But that may change with an increase in popularity/sales.
  • edited February 2005
    Well, I couldn't resist & the the first comic is reserved for me at the local library. Guess I'll get it in the next few days.

I think, if I do end up buying the series, that I'll get the full-colour Scholastic reprints rather than the B&W compendium.
  • edited February 2005
    I'm ordering both the first volume of the colored ones from scholastic (which is the only one out so far), and the all-in-one thingie at the first sight of some money. i've been putting off reading the comics for too long a time, and this is the perfect "excuse".

I was a little worried about wether i would read the comics or not before the games, but since i'm a scatterbrain, i'll probably remember little when the games start pouring out anyways. plus, being that this is adventure games, they're usually inventory based, which still will have you being stuck at puzzles and stuff, just that you're in a familiar world.(after reading the comics). That's my conclusion anyways. If it's a wise one or not, we'll just have to see. Or I'll never know ofcourse.
  • edited February 2005
    What I would both like to see and expect to see (given the information they've already dissiminated) is an adaption of each book, one game per book, that follows the existing narrative in detail. Bone is a story with a beginning, middle, and end, and I think the games are just a way of telling the same story in a different medium.

I've seen people say there's not enough material in the first book alone to make a full game -- why not? There's plenty of character development, and plenty of small challenges for individual characters to overcome, which is exactly what Adventure Games are: a series of small problems to solve. As well, these are going to be smallish episodic games. I'd expect them to take 2-5 hours to finish, not 20-50. There's certainly enough in the first book to fill up that, easily.
  • edited February 2005
    I don't know how willing I'd be to pay $15-$20 per episode of a game that only offered 2-5 hours of game play. Actually I do know. Not very willing at all. I'd be more inclined to wait for the series to be completed and then buy it all at once as a package deal, if that's the case, even if it does take three years.
  • edited February 2005
    I think the idea is to fill 18-45 hours of the game with loading times.
  • edited February 2005
    So the game will be made available on 3.5" floppy disks then. Hehe... [>:)]
  • edited February 2005
    Yes! Lets have floppies! Lots of floppies!

How many floppies would it take, I wonder... :s
  • edited February 2005
    6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 and 2/3 exactly. No more no less. Don't ask me how I got that answer because all I'll say is it involved 50 kilos of Rice, David Hasselhoff and branding iron.
  • edited February 2005
    But how did you d...no...I don't want to know. You're right. I'll leave it at that.

Ooooh. Think of the box this game will have to come in with all those floppies. Wohooo :D
  • edited February 2005
    I'm still trying to figure out how I would install a game like that. My laptop doesn't even have a floppy drive for input, and except for the optical drive and battery compartment, most of it's other orifaces aren't big enough to accommodate 3.5 inch disks.
  • edited February 2005
    I feel bad for any guy with a 3.5 inch disk. And his girlfriend.
  • edited February 2005
    I find floppies to still be very useful. They may be slow, and not hold a lot of data, but they're cheap and and reusable; plus, you can get it out of the computer with the push of a button.
  • edited February 2005
    I only use them for small images and word documents. Can't fit much else on, and I only I have one computer that can use it.
  • edited February 2005
    I only use them for small images and word documents. Can't fit much else on, and I only I have one computer that can use it.

i use a USB stick for that
  • edited March 2005
    Just getting on back topic now :p. I am very interested in this game, but alas, I have never heard of Bone. From the looks of the comics it seems that it is aimed at a younger audience. Maybe not for kids, but it doesn't seem to be a comic that people in their 20's or so would play.

Is this the case, or do the comics cater for a wider audience. It would be a pity for the games to suffer due to their image being a bit kiddy.

I wouldn't mind reading the comics, they do seem intrieging.
  • edited March 2005
    From the looks of the comics it seems that it is aimed at a younger audience. Maybe not for kids, but it doesn't seem to be a comic that people in their 20's or so would play.

That is like saying that Looney Toons seems like it is aimed at a younger audience. The beauty of comics like Bone is that younger kids enjoy it, but since it is intelligently written people of all ages can get something out of it. Do not worry about it being "too kiddy" Besides a possible side effect of Telltale making their first game a Bone game is that they will be able to "raise" a whole new generation of adventure gamers that will demand more adventure games. It is a win-win situation!

You should definitely read Bone - it is extremely emjoyable.
  • edited March 2005
    Yeah I agree, Bone is appropriate for all ages, but can be enjoyed on many different levels. It really has something for everyone (kinda like a Pixar movie). I think it's a perfect first game because an "E" rating means that everyone will be able to play it but Bone's dark and twisting storyline should make it interesting enough for anyone to play it. Plus you can't count out old-fashioned good gameplay. It works for Mario and Zelda (appropriate for kids, popular among adults).

This post is very poorly written, I apologize.
  • edited March 2005
    Just getting on back topic now :p. I am very interested in this game, but alas, I have never heard of Bone. From the looks of the comics it seems that it is aimed at a younger audience. Maybe not for kids, but it doesn't seem to be a comic that people in their 20's or so would play.

Is this the case, or do the comics cater for a wider audience. It would be a pity for the games to suffer due to their image being a bit kiddy.

I wouldn't mind reading the comics, they do seem intrieging.

It may look kiddy, but its actually pretty serious in most parts.
  • edited March 2005
    Good good, I see what you guys are saying with the comparing it to pixar and mario etc. I am liking this game even more now. Lets hope it turns out to be something really great.
  • edited March 2005
    http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=697

read the interview he explains a bit about this subject... ;)

i think this is like Alice In Wonderland... in every age you read it, you enjoy it in a differently.. when youre a kid you're enjoing the amazing adventure, and the hilarious chars', yet older people are enjoing the witty jokes and criticism about the society of the days the book was wrriten...

if telltale will be able to produce only 5% of the brilliant structure of Alice it'll be an amazing game

EDIT: By the way xChri5x - AMAZING POST [=D>] ! tnx....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.