So, what is it?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2008
    taumel wrote: »
    Well, i was hoping for something new, some own and new IP or some direction were the old Lucasarts adventures were heading. Saying so i would have been more than happy with a Monkey Island licence but Wallace and Gromit, i don't know.

Frankly, I'm surprised :)
  • edited July 2008
    Ironic or why?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    He was joking. Given your often expressed opinions about these things (wanting, more or less, either entirely new IP, or a rehashing of a Lucas license), it's not really that surprising at all what you think of a Wallace & Gromit announcement. :) Fortunately everyone is entitled to their own opinion! I think you'll be surprised by this game though, to be honest. I think the spread in how different Sam & Max, Strong Bad, and Wallace and Gromit feel from each other will surprise people, once they get a chance to play all three.
  • edited July 2008
    i bet it's wallace and gromit.
    edited July 2008
    nathew wrote: »
    i bet it's wallace and gromit.

A little late to the party, man. We announced the upcoming Perfect Strangers episodic game series in the second post. I don't know why people are still guessing here.
  • edited July 2008
    I hope we get to play as Balki sometimes!
  • edited July 2008
    @Jake
    Ah okay, well, i just don't understand why you're only riding the already established licence wave instead of either bringing up something new or licence what made adventure gaming great once. I think it's obvious that you would have the ressources for doing so and so from a gamers point of view it's a bit dissapointing.
  • edited July 2008
    @Jake
    Ah okay, well, i just don't understand why you're only riding the already established licence wave instead of either bringing up something new or licence what made adventure gaming great once. I think it's obvious that you would have the ressources for doing so and so from a gamers point of view it's a bit dissapointing.

Getting old licenses can be tough, especially if the owners don't want to give them up.
    Creating original titles can also be a huge risk. One which I don't think Telltale wants to take (At least not at this point in their life)
  • edited July 2008
    I might be wrong but i do have the impression that TTG is doing very well. They are selling their games, they do have a lot of talent in their team, they are already known, they do have a fine internet distribution, so i really don't think the risk would be this great at all.

If they would develop an adventure game in an old spirit then i'm quite confident that this would rock and sell as well.

You can do some series for some safety but i think only walking this route is a waste on what could have been done. I mean, beside of Sam&Max, if you could name three themes you really would like to play as adventure games, would you honestly come up with Bone, StrongBad and Wallace and Gromit?

Personally i would have something completely different in mind.
    edited July 2008
    @Jake

Fair enough. We're all great fans of the Wallace & Gromit characters, universe, and general sensibility. Many other people like them as well, but strangely enough they haven't ever been in a truly great game -- a game that is designed in a way that boosts up the world and the atmosphere and the innate curiosity, exploration, adventure, light hearted fun, etc etc, that has endeared people to Wallace & Gromit in the first place. We hope we can make a game that's less about running around having 60 seconds to herd a field bunnies or sheep or whatever while a timer runs, like the old games, and more about the sorts of stories, situations, and great immersive style that makes the shorts and the films so popular. I'm going on and on here, but, to me at least, that's a potentially more intriguing and fun prospect than making the second or third or fifth sequel to a game I played ten fifteen years ago.

Not that I wouldn't be interested in such a thing, but likely not in the way you'd want anyway.

You can do some series for some safety but i think only walking this route is a waste on what could have been. I mean, beside of Sam&Max, if you could name three themes you really would like to play as adventure games, would you honestly come up with Bone, StrongBad and Wallace and Gromit?

Other than making games which use familiar characters (which we carefully hand pick as characters we think would make great, interesting games), I don't think we play that safe. Maybe from where you're sitting it's safe, but where on earth has anyone said that making a downloadable episodic point and click adventure game about a short megalomaniacal man with a wrestling mask for his face, for instance, is a safe bet? I don't see how that's somehow more safe than "The fifth game in the internationally acclaimed Monkey Island series," for instance.
  • edited July 2008
    if you could name three themes you really would like to play as adventure games, would you honestly come up with Bone, StrongBad and Wallace and Gromit?

Yep!
  • edited July 2008
    Well, i guess this makes you the perfect TTG customer.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, i guess this makes you the perfect TTG customer.

Nice.
  • edited July 2008
    I am so looking forward to an original game series from Telltale. I've been hoping for it since day 1 - thinking maybe Dank would be a good subject. However, it's a high risk business, so I'd rather see Telltale continue to grow than sink money into something that tanks and causes them to downsize (or worse).

Telltale cannot and should not be 'all things to all people'. You want original adventures? Fine, there are hundreds out there and plenty in development. As a 'classic LucasArts' fanboy, I'm incredibly pumped for Vampyre Story, Mata Hari, Deathspank and Brutal Legend (I know not all are pure 'adventures' but al will have brilliant stories, I'm sure). So, I understand your frustration, but I'm pretty sure Telltale know what they're doing, and you can get your original IP fix elsewhere while you (we) wait for Telltale to get to that point.
  • edited July 2008
    @Jake
    For sure a sequel of Monkey Island would be an almost dead sure thing but guess why! Because people want to play it. I agree that you risk more with a serie like StrongBad but you also have to admit that a) these characters have a fanbase already and that b) it isn't the first episodic game you're doing this way. You're having Sam&Max as a good reputation in the background already. As for if we share the same ideas on 15 years old adventure games i can't say, maybe we don't, maybe we do.
  • edited July 2008
    Shmeh wrote: »
    I bet this is it. (Just don't click the link before the announcement or you will ruin the surprise. :p)

Yay! I picked it! :dodgy:

:p
  • edited July 2008
    We have a weiner!
  • edited July 2008
    Dudes, I don't think y'all (except the TTG staff people) have very much of an idea of how the games industry actually works. Adventure games,any adventure game, is a high-risk proposition from the get-go. I've been amazed at how well TTG has done over time, myself, and can only thank the gaming gods that they didn't do original content. The companies that have done original content have, without significant exception, done badly. Look at Funcom. Arguably the best adventure game ever, The Longest Journey, and that barely made ends meet, as evidenced by their follow up products. What follow-up products, you say? Exactly my point. TTG has had the sense to take licenses for stuff that people already think well of, and done a hell of a bang-up job of producing fun games out of them. If they decide to stick with that, more power to them. Lots more power - I'd much rather see a company with a list of titles that people actually buy than one which has maintained its artistic purity right into the ground.
  • edited July 2008
    I have to disagree. The adventures which i at least played and which didn't went so well did not fail because they were featuring original content, they failed because they had flaws in several aspects. One thing this world for sure doesn't need are another pack of low to average quality adventures, i think we had enough of them in the last years. I also don't think that The Longest Journey was a good adventure. Actually i didn't finished it because i got bored at some point.
  • edited July 2008
    Hm. I think it's Monkey Island. :)
  • edited July 2008
    i think it's Spongebob
  • edited July 2008
    I think it's Wallace and Gromit.
  • edited July 2008
    Nah. It's probably Gromit and Wallace.
  • edited July 2008
    I think it's "Strongbad's Not-So-Cool Game For Unattractive People".
  • edited July 2008
    This is just a crazy guess but I think it will be Wallace and Gromit.
  • edited August 2008
    it's going to be Italian Spiderman
  • edited August 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    it's going to be Italian Spiderman
    Lame. My money's on Japanese Spider-Man.
  • edited August 2008
    French Spiderman is soooooo much better, it's going to be that
  • edited August 2008
    This thread is begging for zl5ih.gif. I'd prefer if you kept your post count at 666 splash, it works better for you. ;)
  • edited August 2008
    I'm surprised the thread hasn't been locked already. Anyone who comes to this site after the title was announced to be Wallace & Gromit wouldn't get the point of the thread and so would be confused by it.

This thread was made when TTG were saying that the game would use a well know license but wouldn't say what it was, and so people were guessing what IP they had secured the rights to. Of course, now we all know it's Wallace & Gromit.
  • edited August 2008
    This thread is begging for zl5ih.gif. I'd prefer if you kept your post count at 666 splash, it works better for you. ;)

why is everyone pointing out my 666thness today?
  • edited August 2008
    This thread is begging for zl5ih.gif.
    Why? Ther will be a next game.
  • edited August 2008
    seagul wrote: »
    Why? Ther will be a next game.

But that game will get it's own Mystery Game forum, so it won't need to be posted here. ;)
  • edited August 2008
    everyone...i know the game

it...is....
    Green Acres!!
    you Oliver Wendel Douglass will be the main character you will question the Hooterville people and go on crazy adventures in the crazy land!
    coming soon to Wiiware 2008
  • edited April 2009
    wallace and gromit
  • edited April 2009
    zl5ih.gif indeed... necro threads much?
  • edited April 2009
    I thought this was hints for another new TTG game... curse you for reviving threads!
  • edited April 2009
    wallace and gromit

Why are you just bumping old threads? to increase your post count? It counts for nothing.
This discussion has been closed.