Humor Level?

edited March 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
What sort of humor (in terms of ESRB ratings) are you aiming for in the W&G games, knowing that this franchise is more "family-oriented" than either Sam and Max or Homestar Runner?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Over 9000!?
  • edited July 2008
    A humour level of 9000? That's like... only 1000 away from the legal limit!
  • edited July 2008
    The answer is British humour. ;)
  • edited July 2008
    With the extra (and proper) 'u' :)

I do expect the humour level to be more along "family friendly" lines (G rating for Australia, hopefully) as this would match all the episodes/movies we've seen for Wallace and Gromit so far.

I really hope also that the game has object combinations - after all with Wallace and Gromit both being inventors, I'm sure if they took a whole bunch of random stuff they could put it together to make a cracking invention!
  • edited July 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Over 9000!?

Crap, you beat me to it.
  • edited July 2008
    Randulf wrote: »
    What sort of humor (in terms of ESRB ratings) are you aiming for in the W&G games, knowing that this franchise is more "family-oriented" than either Sam and Max or Homestar Runner?

the humor may be family-oriented and also may be like the Sam & Max humor
  • edited July 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    With the extraneous (and proper) 'u' :)

fixed that for you. ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Fingers crossed for lots of puns. (The arson line in Wererabbit was ace).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Randulf wrote: »

Wallace & Gromit shorts and the film are, I imagine, all rated G or PG (so basically "E" in ESRB talk), and that's where we'll be going as well.
  • edited July 2008
    Tellyn wrote: »
    The answer is British humour. ;)

Well, it's better than American humour.
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Wallace & Gromit shorts and the film are, I imagine, all rated G or PG (so basically "E" in ESRB talk), and that's where we'll be going as well.

you are kinda forgetting some of the Were Rabbit stuff, there is some crude humor in there but it's hidden..and this will be Telltale's second E game!!!
    edited July 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    you are kinda forgetting some of the Were Rabbit stuff, there is some crude humor in there but it's hidden..and this will be Telltale's second E game!!!

Curse of the Were Rabbit is rated G, at least in the US. That doesn't mean it's all wholly innocent humor, but it is definitely all-ages!
  • edited July 2008
    i hope telltale will give them guns:)
  • edited July 2008
    I heard this game gonna be for psp any true eh?
  • edited July 2008
    simon0405 wrote: »
    i hope telltale will give them guns:)

Wallace & Gromit isn't really about guns...
    and when I said "isn't really", I mean "not at all".
  • edited July 2008
    I wonder what kind of power-ups and special abilities there will be!
  • edited July 2008

Who needs guns anyway when you're in control of one of the most creative inventors in modern day fiction? :) I can't wait to see the new gadgets Telltale come up with.
  • edited July 2008
    Things like Wallace and Grommit have Disney level of humor. That doesn't necessarily mean there are NO rude jokes; it just means they're usually behind magic curtains that only people over the certain age who recognize the "in joke" will understand. Remember in Curse of the Were Rabbit when Wallace covered up his nether regions with a box that said "May contain nuts"?
  • edited July 2008
    I'm psychic: haven't been on the TTG site for a few months or so, suddenly struck with an urge to see what's new, and voila - new series. This should be fun.

I imagine this game would have to be more reliant on visuals and acting than Sam & Max or H*R (though I have no idea what the H*R game is actually like, of course), seeing how Grommit is a silent character and all. A lot of Wallace and Grommit humour (with a U, yes. TTG had better have some authentic British citizens on board the writing staff. I'll demand to see the proper forms later.) is visual, right? Wrong? I haven't seen the shorts for years and the movie for... years as well, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the franchise.

On a completely different note, I think the framerate should be low, so it flickers like claymation. That would be nifty.
  • edited July 2008
    BadStrong wrote: »
    I heard this game gonna be for psp any true eh?

Formats aren't confirmed. Abviously on PC and maybe wii too.
  • edited July 2008
    I suspect that TTG is going to see how Strongbad turns out before committing another game to the Wii console.

................EEEE........
    ........EEEEE.......EEE...
    WEEE....................E!!
  • edited July 2008
    It won't come out on WiiWare, that service is limited to 40MB, which is why Sam & Max couldn't be released on it. A retail pack with all the episodes on the Wii would be possible however. Hopefully we get some confirmation on Monday. :)
  • edited July 2008
    Tellyn wrote: »
    It won't come out on WiiWare, that service is limited to 40MB, which is why Sam & Max couldn't be released on it.
    Why won't it? It's an episodic series. Release each one separately on WiiWare. Nothing wrong doing them all via retail at the end.
  • edited July 2008
    Why won't it? It's an episodic series. Release each one separately on WiiWare. Nothing wrong doing them all via retail at the end.

It's just the fact that they're keeping to the claymation style of the original shorts/film. A full episode wouldn't fit within that limit. By all means, I'd love to be proven wrong though. :)
  • edited July 2008
    You know i've always considered british humour to be often way higher rated than american humour (spell it with a u guys. American spelling is just sad) just look at the english and american versions of the office and, of course, monty python. And does anyone know if H*R and SnM and even this one are all made on the same engine? if so im really impressed at its graphical versatility.
  • edited July 2008
    The Office (US) > The Office (UK)
  • edited July 2008
    You know i've always considered british humour to be often way higher rated than american humour (spell it with a u guys. American spelling is just sad) just look at the english and american versions of the office and, of course, monty python. And does anyone know if H*R and SnM and even this one are all made on the same engine? if so im really impressed at its graphical versatility.
    I know that both Sam and Max and SBCG4AP are made using the Telltale Tool. Somewhere somebody mentioned(citation needed) that making something like the Strong Bad game really helps when it comes to expanding their development tool.

And I much prefer American spellings, thank you. ;)

As far as humor goes, neither has a monopoly on it. Humor is humour(see what I did there? Oh ho ho), and has to be juudged individually. :)
  • edited July 2008

That's not completely true. The penguin (rooster) was armed and dangerous.
  • edited July 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    The Office (US) > The Office (UK)

Agreed. It's not that I didn't find UK Office funny, it's just that it was downright depressing and uncomfortable. Far more so than the US version. (Which is weird, since I like my comedy with a hint of nihilism.)
  • edited July 2008
    Bobeo wrote: »
    That's not completely true. The penguin (rooster) was armed and dangerous.

but they're kid-friendly guns! :p
  • edited July 2008
    To anyone who doubts that point about British humor:
    HOT FUZZ
    'Nuff said.
  • edited July 2008
    Katana wrote: »
    To anyone who doubts that point about British humor:
    HOT FUZZ
    'Nuff said.

I liked Shaun Of The Dead better, but I have to admit I've only seen Hot Fuzz once and I'm sure I'll like it even more once I see it a few more times.
  • edited July 2008
    Seriously? I mean, if you're going to point out one example of good British humor and use it as a blanket to define all British humor as superior...

...Why not go for Hitchhiker's Guide or Doctor Who?

And while you're at it, reference one bit awful US humor to make the point EVEN STRONGER.
  • edited July 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I liked Shaun Of The Dead better, but I have to admit I've only seen Hot Fuzz once and I'm sure I'll like it even more once I see it a few more times.

Yeah, a lot of the jokes in that movie are easier to realize when you've seen the whole thing once.
  • edited July 2008
    This game will be pure British humor written by American writers.

So in another word, stereotypical British traits from the US of A's point of view.

brit.png
    edited July 2008
    brit.png

I would love to see that guy in Strong Bad. I would be amazingly sad if he was in Wallace and Gromit though.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Holy crap, how did you get a copy of our game's script?!
    This game will be pure British humor written by American writers.

So in another word, stereotypical British traits from the US of A's point of view.
  • edited August 2008
    langley wrote: »
    Holy crap, how did you get a copy of our game's script?!

Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh!?

img2dk5.th.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SK3y1a8TYs
  • edited August 2008
    D'oh!

ricky_gervais.jpg
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited August 2008
    And does anyone know if H*R and SnM and even this one are all made on the same engine? if so im really impressed at its graphical versatility.

I can answer that... yes! Sam & Max, SBCG4AP, Bone, Wallace & Grommit and even CSI are all running on the same engine! It's created to be very versatile and we haven't even begun to push it's limits! I can't wait to see what we do with it next!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.