Feathers McGraw

edited August 2008 in Wallace & Gromit
penguin.jpg

Feathers McGraw is probably one of my favourite fictional villains, the chillingly homicidal, gun-toting penguin from The Wrong Trousers (with references hidden in a Close Shave and Curse of the Were-Rabbit). Will this little fellow be returning in W&G's Grand Adventures?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I can't see how a five-episode series won't at least touch on every past major element of the series. I mean...how much pre-existing content is there? ;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I can't see how a five-episode series won't at least touch on every past major element of the series. I mean...how much pre-existing content is there? ;)

To that I have to ask: If all we did was rehash previous content, what would be the point? How many times has Feathers shown up outside The Wrong Trousers? And how many more times can he show up and still be compelling and fresh?

I don't know what the stories of the episodes actually will be, how much will be an homage to old stuff versus new, etc, etc (despite working at Telltale, I'm not very involved in W&G, beyond being excited about it and helping a little with the UI) so I am actually just rambling here, but I think they're valid questions to ask yourself about what you'd want to see.
  • edited July 2008
    ...about five more times, I think.
  • edited July 2008
    I was thinking this earlier, and if he doesn't show up as a character, a little reference somewhere would be nice (such as a WANTED poster on a wall).
  • edited July 2008
    I hope the Soda Poppers show up
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    To that I have to ask: If all we did was rehash previous content, what would be the point? How many times has Feathers shown up outside The Wrong Trousers? And how many more times can he show up and still be compelling and fresh?

I don't know what the stories of the episodes actually will be, how much will be an homage to old stuff versus new, etc, etc (despite working at Telltale, I'm not very involved in W&G, beyond being excited about it and helping a little with the UI) so I am actually just rambling here, but I think they're valid questions to ask yourself about what you'd want to see.

It wouldn't be rehashing previous content, you've proved that you can do something fresh, new and awesome with your existing IPs. And Feathers hasn't really shown up outside of the Wrong Trousers, his appareances were limited to a split-second hiding spot in the climax of the Were-Rabbit and his name scrawled on Gromit's cell wall in A Close Shave. I think there's plenty of potential for him and other characters from the series (even if they're just cameos or sly references).
    I was thinking this earlier, and if he doesn't show up as a character, a little reference somewhere would be nice (such as a WANTED poster on a wall).

This would be good. Or he could be a Bosco-like character and show up in disguise with his rubber glove on and then something ridiculous like an oversized moustache and glasses.
  • edited July 2008
    I totally agree. I know he's a popular character and putting him somewhere (however small) who make people like me very happy. Just hope that Telltale can fit him in somewhere. :D
  • edited July 2008
    If all we did was rehash previous content, what would be the point?

Much as I enjoyed both seasons of Sam & Max, I can't help but feel a twinge of irony when reading a Telltale Games employee say that... ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Hmm, I think I've with Jake on this. Much as I liked Feathers, I don't think I'd want to see him again.

As far as I can tell, Wallace and Gromit themselves are the only recurring characters in each short and film.

That said, Shaun appeared in one of the Cracking Contraptions episodes, and Wendolene and Preston appeared in one of the comics, but I don't know if those appearances count or not, seeing as they're not proper films like the others.
  • edited July 2008
    To that I have to ask: If all we did was rehash previous content, what would be the point?

Your point is valid, but I hope you realize this is coming from a game developer in which the villain of the second season is a common character from the first season?

(not that I had any problem with it.)
  • edited July 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I know you're joking, but that statement still makes my blood boil.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Katana wrote: »
    Your point is valid, but I hope you realize this is coming from a game developer in which the villain of the second season is a common character from the first season?

(not that I had any problem with it.)

I think maintaining a continuity in a serialized series is different than importing a character from some other incarnation into your series. Again, I don't really think it would be a problem if that guy showed up, in some capacity, but only if its appropriate -- we're not making a "sequel" to any particular Wallace & Gromit story or something. With Sam & Max we didn't, for instance, make Lee Harvey and Conroy Bumpus show up out of nowhere or something like that.

That said, would I complain if Mack Salmon showed up suddenly in a Sam & Max episode? Nope, I'd be pretty happy, to be honest. So, maybe I should just shut up and go home! :)
  • edited July 2008
    Feathers was also the villian in Project Zoo.
  • edited August 2008
    I think maintaining a continuity in a serialized series is different than importing a character from some other incarnation into your series. Again, I don't really think it would be a problem if that guy showed up, in some capacity, but only if its appropriate -- we're not making a "sequel" to any particular Wallace & Gromit story or something. With Sam & Max we didn't, for instance, make Lee Harvey and Conroy Bumpus show up out of nowhere or something like that.

That said, would I complain if Mack Salmon showed up suddenly in a Sam & Max episode? Nope, I'd be pretty happy, to be honest. So, maybe I should just shut up and go home! :)

"make new friends but keep the old"
  • edited August 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »

wrong series, knucklehead.
  • edited August 2008
    ^ Classic.
  • edited August 2008

knowing Ardman they'll do it, i've seen wanted posters of Feather's all over the place, i've also seen refrences in the Newspaper
  • edited August 2008
    Shaun the sheep should be in the game.
  • edited August 2008
    Razahyder wrote: »
    Oh god it's you.
    Anyway, no.
  • edited August 2008
    Razahyder wrote: »

nope no way, nuh uh, sorry man, nope
  • edited August 2008
    How about we all sit tight and let Telltale DO THEIR JOB. Honestly, I have wants and wishes but do I go making demands when they're all ready quite far into production and probably have the season's arc planned out? No. Because unlike you lot I have the faith the team are going to make the game great, and that's probably the biggest and most important want I have.

Also, Shaun the Sheep rocks.
  • edited August 2008
    Oh man! I hope Chicken Run ladies and Hugh Jackman rat would show up!
  • edited August 2008
    I would absolutely love to see Feathers McGraw make an appearance in the Wallace and Gromit games, whether as a major character, or as a tiny reference.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't think Feathers will come back... he was the villain from Project Zoo.
  • edited August 2008
    he will probably just be on wanted posters and stuff
  • edited August 2008
    With Sam & Max we didn't, for instance, make Lee Harvey and Conroy Bumpus show up out of nowhere or something like that.)

While I would normally agree that having them show up would be dumb in 99% of possible scenarios, they would fit in perfectly if you had a sequence where you met up with all the previous villains that Sam & Max had killed in the past, in Hell or something. Too bad there was nothing like that in the last episode... Oh wait :p

Seriously though, there's a difference between meaningless rehashing and clever continuity, so if you can get the penguin to fit into the latter method, I'm all for it. I'd also be in favor of making one of your original characters a penguin, because man, penguins look awesome in this style.
  • edited August 2008
    That penguin owes me money!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.