OS X Version?

edited December 2008 in Wallace & Gromit
Will you be putting Wallace & Gromit on OSX native format?

Thanks!

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Our engine doesn't work on Mac right now, so probably not (at least for the time being). That being said, we have a lot of Mac users at the office, including our CTO, so it's always something we're thinking about...
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks for the quick response, Emily :)

Running the game in Fusion like the others sounds like the way I'll go then :)
  • edited July 2008
    You may have mixed results with Fusion... I've been trying to run our development versions in Fusion 2.0b1 and the shader doesn't quite behave. All the characters are white with outlines. Kind of cool, but a bit weird :)
  • edited July 2008
    Haha, thanks for more info :)

Don't really like rebooting into Boot Camp, so will see how the finished product goes in Fusion/Parallels. Thanks for more updates!
  • edited July 2008
    You could get an application called 'Parallels'.
    You can log on to your windows straight from your Mac, although they share the same RAM, so if you don't have a lot, your games might run slow, depending on how many things you have open.
  • edited July 2008
    Haha, thanks Rakia, but I am already using VMWare Fusion as it's faster than Parallels :)

With 4GB Ram, my Mac has ample power for any number of apps :)
  • edited July 2008
    Don't know why, but I hate that one =P
  • edited July 2008
    Try Codeweavers Crossover Games For Mac.

It works perfectly, at DX 8.0 level. i've experienced no glitches with s&m season 2 yet!
  • edited July 2008
    Heh also Parallels is made by the same company as Plesk, and I have a bit of a dislike for those guys.

Crossover works okay, until it doesn't :)
  • edited July 2008
    this is where having a PPC OSX doesn't make things easy on me...
  • edited July 2008
    I want a Mac version too please.
  • edited August 2008
    As usual, it's just too bad that there is nothing done for Mac users...
  • GaryGary Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I am yet another of the Telltale employees who is a Mac user. I use Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro and it runs the games just fine... so I'd suggest giving that a try. If I was a PPC user... I wouldn't hold my breath. Sucks, I know (I just upgraded to an Intel Mac after using a G4 Powerbook for 4+ years), but them's the breaks.
  • edited August 2008
    Using BootCamp is all well and good and I use it for almost all of my major gaming (seeing as many things arent out on the mac), but there is a large number of people on the mac who would happily buy Telltale's games if they were out for OSX (many of whom simply dont like rebooting to play a game for 30 minutes). Im definitely one of them and Id re-buy S&M seasons 1&2 should they come out on my platform of choice.

whilst its not on the cards right now, I hope that at some point in the next year or so (once your hectic release schedule is settling into its groove) you can find the time and resources to, say, port S&M1 to the mac, or even bring it bang up to date and do some simultaneous work like you have going on with Strong Bad.
  • edited August 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    You may have mixed results with Fusion... I've been trying to run our development versions in Fusion 2.0b1 and the shader doesn't quite behave. All the characters are white with outlines. Kind of cool, but a bit weird :)

Sam and Max seems to work better in their latest beta, 2.0b2. Everything runs smoothly apart from the fact that all character models are invisible! Hopefully they'll fix that in the next beta so that we can run the game without Boot Camp.
  • edited August 2008
    Hey, you could always try Darwine. :P
  • edited August 2008
    The problem is that as much as Mac users like to get vocal about how much they'd like their favourite games to be released on their system of choice, the Mac gaming market is incredibly small. That's why nothing is done to appease Mac gamers - there aren't enough of them to justify the time and expense of porting the game over.
  • edited August 2008
    Or maybe it's because Telltale is a small company thats already working on two different versions of Strong Bad and more.;)
  • edited December 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    Heh also Parallels is made by the same company as Plesk, and I have a bit of a dislike for those guys.

Crossover works okay, until it doesn't :)

Sorry to be rude, but could you please elaborate? I'd jump at the chance to get Sam and Max and SBCG4AP if I could get them to run on my Mac.
  • edited December 2008
    Sorry to be rude, but could you please elaborate? I'd jump at the chance to get Sam and Max and SBCG4AP if I could get them to run on my Mac.

crossover games... google it!

It's a program that helps you run windows games on your Mac without windows... Try it!

There are many places on this forum where people have made instructions on how to play telltales games on it.
  • edited December 2008
    Ben Paddon wrote: »
    The problem is that as much as Mac users like to get vocal about how much they'd like their favourite games to be released on their system of choice, the Mac gaming market is incredibly small. That's why nothing is done to appease Mac gamers - there aren't enough of them to justify the time and expense of porting the game over.

Although this is currently seen as the predominant reason, I find it a bit like the people who say no one buys hardcore games for the Wii (perhaps they would if companies would release some).

I read an interesting article on the Tale of Tales web site about their project 'The Graveyard', which as they confessed didn't sell well but the sales percentages turned an surprising result:

"...if you divide up the numbers per platform, the conversion rate for Mac users is more than double that of PC users! They download less but buy more. Which leads to an interesting end result of 44% of sales being the Mac version, almost half. So it seems that the Mac platform is definitely worth persuing if you make artistic games."

If anyone is interested in the whole article it can be found here: http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/the-graveyard-post-mortem/#chapter7

Judging from what I've been seeing in the Mac community they will and do get behind products, but it tends to be downloadable software hence the popularity of the bundles sold on sites such as Mac Heist and Mac Update.

So long as you let people know about the product they do appear to buy it.

But that's just my opinion...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.