Mario Kart Wii

edited August 2008 in General Chat
Hey, can someone who owns mario kart wii say if it's worth a purchase, cause I just played a demo at Babbage's and thought it was awesome, but I thought I should ask about it from someone who's not a game critique before I spring for it.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I played it at GameStop breifly, and I thought it was pretty fun.

I guess that doesn't answer your question though.
  • edited July 2008
    Hey, can someone who owns mario kart wii say if it's worth a purchase, cause I just played a demo at Babbage's and thought it was awesome, but I thought I should ask about it from someone who's not a game critique before I spring for it.
    The general consensus seems to be that if you liked previous Mario Kart games, you'll like this one.
  • edited July 2008
    See, I really liked the 64 version and the SNES version. However, I hated Double Dash. This game is merely ok, lending me to only recommend this if you did like the controls the first time you played it. I really dislike the inclusion of motor-bikes into the game, as I prefer Mario Kart to be about, well, karts. The levels are pretty good, but I was disappointed that there weren't that many new levels to the game (not counting new versions of old levels). Overall, I would give the game a 6.5 out of 10, which is recommended since you liked playing the demo. Also, I think the game has grown on me over time, so that also leads to a higher recommendation.
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    The general consensus seems to be that if you liked previous Mario Kart games, you'll like this one.

I loved mario kart DS and I haven't played any of the others...Being an online play freak I'll probably buy it.Now to get $50 somehow.......hmm......
  • edited July 2008
    I've enjoyed all of the Mario Kart games. I thought Double Dash was a lot of fun, and I give a lot of kudos to the developers for trying something new.

Mario Kart Wii is a lot of fun, in my opinion. I like using the Wii Wheel, too; it works surprisingly well. The only criticism I have is that you're robbed of your items much too easily.
  • edited July 2008
    Dr. Zoidberg: GET IT. 'Nuff said
  • edited August 2008
    I got bored of it after a week.

It must be better than MK DS though, got bored of it five minutes.
  • edited August 2008
    I never got too into any of the Mario Karts. I did like Crash Team Racing though (the PS1 original).
  • edited August 2008
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    It must be better than MK DS though, got bored of it five minutes.
    TAKE THAT BACK!!!:mad:
    Badwolf wrote: »
    I never got too into any of the Mario Karts. I did like Crash Team Racing though (the PS1 original).

Ah man I remember that game.It was the best rip-off I ever played.One improvement over MK 64 was the practice areas.And the boss races.
  • edited August 2008
    I liked DTR because it had more of a story to the single player, but i still actually play mk64. I highly reccomend mario kart wii, as a owner of the game. All the complaints other people had i thought just improved the game (and i completely lost faith in gametrailers.com after their review, especially as they said it seemed to "luck based". it IS a mk game ffs)
  • edited August 2008
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    I got bored of it after a week.

Same here...kinda. I got bored with Mario Kart Wii after 3 weeks. If you are a big Mario Kart fan I'm sure you'll enjoy it though. I found the Wii Wheel to be pretty useless and stuck to the Remote/Nunchuck controls which were surprisingly better than using the classic controller.

I hate the way the items come up now. If you're in first expect to be getting a lot of bananas. The karts lagging in the race get all the good items. You should also be prepared to be blasted by shells at every turn. It almost takes more luck than skill to win some of those races. I swear I was about 45 seconds from the finish line and boom red shell, red shell, blue shell, red shell. Yeah I finished in last place.

On a side note, I still enjoy playing Mario Kart DS. It's my favorite Mario Kart second only to the SNES one.
  • edited August 2008
    I swear I was about 45 seconds from the finish line and boom red shell, red shell, blue shell, red shell. Yeah I finished in last place.

The worst item combo I got hit by was on the DS in the Airship fortress level.It was Spiny Shell, red shell, red shell, bob-omb, and blooper.Then I started forward and boom!!!Three banana peels!
  • edited August 2008
    Okay, I finally bought it yesterday and I really like it.Just one weird thing, though.I thought the 100cc game was a lot harder than 150cc to me for some reason.It's probably because the bikes handle like they're sliding on a bar of soap...
  • edited August 2008
    bikes are fun
  • edited August 2008
    bikes are fun

i forgot to put in my last one that they are hard to use at first but then they are fun
  • edited August 2008
    I liked the bikes okay, but I thought their handling was too loose.That made 100cc really hard for me.
  • edited August 2008
    I played it at my friends house and it was fun, there were a lot of new tracks and karts. You can even ride a motor cycle. In my opinion it was better them Mario Kart Double Dash, but after you've played all the tracks it starts to get a bit boring.
  • edited August 2008
    I played it at my friends house and it was fun, there were a lot of new tracks and karts. You can even ride a motor cycle. In my opinion it was better them Mario Kart Double Dash, but after you've played all the tracks it starts to get a bit boring.

double dash is the worst mario kart.

the best mario kart clone was diddy kong racing.
  • edited August 2008

i have the Gameboy advanced version so if the Wii version is good like the GA then buy it
  • edited August 2008
    patters wrote: »
    the best mario kart clone was diddy kong racing.

No, Crash Team Racing was the best mario kart clone ever!:D
    splash1 wrote: »
    i have the Gameboy advanced version so if the Wii version is good like the GA then buy it

Everybody can quit telling me if I should buy it or not, as I have already said that I did buy it.And it's Supa-awesome!
  • edited August 2008
    buy it it rocks i own it if yu get all trophys on one type of race(50cc etc) you get a picture for the photo channel i will not say what it is though.:p
  • edited August 2008
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    buy it it rocks i own it if yu get all trophys on one type of race(50cc etc) you get a picture for the photo channel i will not say what it is though.:p

I already bought it.I've said it like 3 times now.And that picture is kinda creepy.
  • edited August 2008

Dr. Zoidberg, It really depends on what you're into.

I think it's ok, but I didn't really like Double Dash. I gladly welcome the bikes, because I pick a light character like Baby Mario, and the Bit Bike makes him lighter than everyone else, thus making him super fast in comparison! The Wii Wheel is fun, but could use some tweaking. (Sometimes I'll turn in one direction and Baby Mario will swerve in the opposite direction; it needs to be more sensitive. Or maybe I just stink at Mario Kart.) The courses are great, and even better when you play with friends! So, I would maybe try out some other games, but if nothing else suits you, get it.

Wow, I feel like the Roger Ebert of Mario Kart!!
  • edited August 2008
    Okay, seriously everyone, I bought the game like a week and a half ago.People can stop giving their reviews now.By the way, Mario Kart is awesome, but the item balance in 150cc mirror mode is pretty unfair...
  • edited August 2008
    LOL, sorry! Glad you like the game! :)

And, you're right. Mario Kart IS awesome.

-iRock
  • edited August 2008
    You should give Mario Kart a try.

*ducks and runs*
  • edited August 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    You should give Mario Kart a try.

*ducks and runs*

• edited August 2008
    I tried this game once. Didn't really like it. I preferred MKDS.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.