What about Mac???

My cousin has a Mac. Will SBCG4AP be coming out for the Mac as well. He really wants to know.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    There was already a thread about this, you know.
  • edited August 2008
    Short answer: There aren't any plans for it. That doesn't completely eliminate the possibility, but it's not coming anytime in the foreseeable future.
  • edited August 2008
    There is a way.....

If the Mac in question doesn't use MAC OS (any version) and instead runs at least the minimum version of Windows required for SBCG, then you could in-fact play it on a Mac. Why a Mac owner wouldn't have the backup discs for their own OS is beyond me, but it could work.
  • edited August 2008
    So many Mac threads! When will the madness end!
  • edited August 2008
    So many Mac threads! When will the madness end!

3 situations:
    1) People begin posting their Mac Ramblings in the "General Ramblings Section"
    OR
    2) SBCG on Mac or compatible with it.
    OR
    3) Mac owners buy a cheap PC with the ability to run SBCG4AP
  • edited August 2008
    There was already a thread about this, you know.

oh, really, i didn't know that. i must have passed it when i was looking.
  • edited August 2008
    The fact of the matter is, Mac owners are going to have to realize that a lot of applications....especially games...are not going to "just work" on their machines. A lot of Mac users recommend, basically, using Windows for applications that don't work.

I don't ever have to trick my computer into thinking it's running another OS.

...well, okay, I did run an Apple II virtual machine when I wanted to run Oregon Trail and a couple other games. But that's hardly the same thing.
  • edited August 2008
    The fact of the matter is, Mac owners are going to have to realize that a lot of applications....especially games...are not going to "just work" on their machines.

I do think you are a bit misinformed about how it works. Since most new Mac machines these days are Intel based, there is the Cider system. Cider is basically a system that allows Windows games to run on a Mac by packing it with enough Windows files to fool it to run natively in the Mac OS. Some games on GameTap, for example, use this system, but so far, Telltale hasn't.

The other option is to run Windows on the Mac. I've set up a small WinXP partition on my iBook through Boot Camp (which is included as part of Mac OS X 10.5) to basically play through the Sam & Max games. Unlike Parallels and other virtualization tools, this is a native install of WinXP. Though I will say that even though I'm dealing with a pretty standard collection of hardware and drivers, I've already had more headaches with dealing with XP than I've had with OS X. :D

I'm just glad I'm only using for games....
  • edited August 2008
    It is possable to have a virtual PC on a mac, but it's gunna need to be a REALLY fast mac, and he'll need a copy of some version of Microsoft. As to where to find one, I don't know. But Google always helps!
  • edited August 2008
    Ben Again wrote: »
    It is possable to have a virtual PC on a mac, but it's gunna need to be a REALLY fast mac, and he'll need a copy of some version of Microsoft. As to where to find one, I don't know. But Google always helps!

*insert crack about how you said microsoft instead of windows or microsoft windows here*

probably the best place to find a copy of windows is microsoft.com, unless you're gonna go the pirate-y route, but software piracy is a taboo topic on a computer game developer's forums.
  • edited August 2008
    When he said to look on Google, I'm sure he was talking about looking for emulation software, not the copy of windows to run on it.
  • edited August 2008
    Yes I was! I have a free emulater on the Mac I'm using right now, but I don't know where it came from; my dad got it.
  • edited August 2008
    as far as mac users having to realize some software doesn't work, i think it's going to be more like software developers having to realize they are missing out on a bigger and bigger chunk of money they could be getting from mac gamers. we are multiplying, more and more every day.

as far as the game goes, it doesn't work under parallels right now, or i'd have bought it tonight, like i did for the first season of sam and max (and the first ep of the second season).

anyway, there are a lot of games out there, limiting your audience doesn't make much sense anymore. this is 2008, not 1998.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Our games work on Boot Camp. They might work with other emulation programs, but we haven't done a lot of poking around, so we can't make any promises.
  • edited August 2008
    All emulation techniques I've tried so far are just lame.
    For the moment I don't find any other way tha using BootCamp. And it's funny because indeed, I have XP on my mac, sucking up 30 Gigs of hard disk, and very annoying (windows updates, antivirus, and all that fuss, it makes minutes and minutes before you can use it properly), and it's only for TellTale's Games... Season one, Season two, Wallace and Gromit I think, Strong Bad I suppose (but have to test, because I've never met that odd universe before).
    Well... funny... my prefered compagny keep me using what I hate most in the computer world ^^childish thing... always wondering "can I reboot now ? Can I reboot ? puh-leeeaaaase ?" stopping your game just to ask you this for the third time (even if you told no two times :p and just because he just found a new update, just like twice a day :p), having to give him his medecines before you play (yeees there's your viruses signatures up to date, don't cry, we're not gonna die).

Anyway... I do hope things will change, as macusers represents now almost 8% of the international web traffic. And doing games for mac gives you a lot of visibility into the "community", because for the moment there's not a lot of them... in fact, even if I'm a Sam&Max fan since the old game, I discovered TellTale because Bone was an adventure game released for mac.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.