Animation Style

edited August 2008 in Wallace & Gromit
So, will W&G be 'smoothly animated' like most 3D games or are you/Aardman going for a stop-motion tribute?

I only ask because I saw that screenshot of Gromit and I just remembered the funny stop-motion plasticine walk he has and how some sort of smooth animation would ruin it.

Sort it Telltale! Lock W&G at 25fps! :)

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Heh, I don't think 25fps would give you the result you're thinking of. Film is 24fps, and I believe W&G is animated on twos, which means the animation is 12fps. But, camera movements are often still done at 24, so only the characters move at 12 :)

That said, I have no idea what the final system we use will be :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Also, Gromit walking around the house in the current build looks very accurate and awesome, at any FPS. Tim, the guy who animated him for our game, did a great job. It captures Gromit's "insane bundle of limbs flying around" walk extremely well.
  • edited August 2008
    :)
    Yay. Here's to a childhood memory that won't be ruined by a poorly made game!
  • edited August 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    :)
    Yay. Here's to a childhood memory that won't be ruined by a poorly made game!
    And here's to Batman Forever.
  • edited August 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    And here's to Batman Forever.

The new Batman movies ruin my childhood memories of terrible Batman movies, by being too good.

Back on topic, I know what Optimaximal is talking about. Clay animation does have a unique look to the movement, so here's hoping. Character animation in the trailer seems to capture it pretty well so far.
  • edited August 2008
    They managed to get the claymation feel in Flushed Away and that was all done in those computer doohickeys. I feel confident that Telltale will prevail. A trick would be to put in "fingerprints" on the characters. Odd spots every so often that result from moving the clay characters. Might be a bit over the top for the main game, but cut scenes and such may not be too resource intensive.
  • edited August 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    The new Batman movies ruin my childhood memories of terrible Batman movies, by being too good.

To be fair, George Clooney's Batman hurts me... on the inside

I digress, The walk cycle of Grommit has always looked awesome, but looks decidedly difficult to replicate. I'd be impressed if anybody would even get it half-right, I have faith in the staff though!
  • edited August 2008
    Please note that the game will clocked at 60 FPS at all time with Benny Hill music going on and on and on...
  • edited August 2008
    with Benny Hill music going on and on and on...

Oh god! Flashbacks from comedy Saturday on the BBC!

Just shoot me in the face instead!
  • edited August 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Also, Gromit walking around the house in the current build looks very accurate and awesome, at any FPS. Tim, the guy who animated him for our game, did a great job. It captures Gromit's "insane bundle of limbs flying around" walk extremely well.

Cool! It's not easy mimicking someone else's style. I think this is especially the case here.

Can't wait to see everything in action.

--Erwin
  • edited August 2008
    Jake wrote: »

so Gromit will do the same thing Max does?
    and have you already started production on it?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    so Gromit will do the same thing Max does?
    and have you already started production on it?

No, no, both characters are controllable over the course of an episode. I was referring to how it looks when you're walking Gromit around.

We're still playing with the style of all of this stuff, too, of course.

Production is still early days, but there's been a group of folks working on the game full time for a while now.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I mean, Gromit isn't like Max in that he just sort of hangs around and wait for Wallace to do something. When you're not playing as Gromit, he has things to do that pertains to his character. Same with Wallace.
  • edited August 2008
    langley wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, Gromit isn't like Max in that he just sort of hangs around and wait for Wallace to do something. When you're not playing as Gromit, he has things to do that pertains to his character. Same with Wallace.

well i wasn't saying that he does stuff like Max, i was saying if he like walks around and does random things, and thank you for answering my questions oh awesome Telltale
Sign in to comment in this discussion.