Buy Sierra IPs!

edited August 2008 in General Chat
As some of you may know, Activision is not selling Sierra the company, but selling Sierra's IPs. This means ALL of Sierra's classic adventure games
such as King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Conquests, and Phantasmagoria, will be up for grabs, along with Sierra's classic Action and RPG games.

Speaking to a friend of mine who is an industry insider, I can tell you that Activision is willing to sell any and/or all of the franchises separately or together, depending on what any potential buyer wants, and that the price range would be anywhere in the range of $90,000 to 1 million, possibly lower, depending on which franchise we're talking about.

I'm certain Tell Tale could probably afford at least some of these classic franchises, and I'd honestly and truly (as a fan of adventure games) rather see them in the hands of a good company like Tell Tale than in the hands of a company like EA, who will either do Jack Schitt with these games or try to transform them into action shooters which have no continuity with the original games.

So, if any Tell Tale Execs are listening or reading this, please consider buying these awesome IPs. It'd be worth it for you, and the best thing to happen to adventure gaming in quite some time. At least negotiate with Vivendi about it!

Comments

• edited August 2008
    One word, one license:Shivers.*creepy music plays*
  • edited August 2008
    One word, one license:Shivers.*creepy music plays*

You win 535 internets, redeemable at your nearest shopping center.

Shivers 2 was so amazingly full of win. The first one ain't bad either.

I'd still rather see a new Phantasmagoria, though. :D (fat chance)
  • edited August 2008
    All signs point to never.

I'd rather see new stuff from Telltale instead of some "..." Quest game.
  • edited August 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    All signs point to never.

I'd rather see new stuff from Telltale instead of some "..." Quest game.

But imagine what Telltale could do with some of these series....
  • edited August 2008
    *imagines*
  • edited August 2008
    I'm being serious....They took a dead series (Sam & Max) and turned it into 2 seasons worth of throughly enjoyable games. Why couldn't they do something similar with some of Sierra's Quest titles?
  • edited August 2008
    Sam & Max were never dead. There was a TV series, and a few cancelled games. I know they were cancelled, but it still means they were trying!
  • edited August 2008
    leisure suit max,phantasmagromitoria and king of town quest
  • edited August 2008
    A police quest series by telltale would be awesome! :cool::cool:
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    phantasmagromitoria
    Ha! This one made me smile. :)
  • edited August 2008
    I think the Space Quest series would be best suited for Telltale with it's wacky humour.

Leisure Suit Larry might be a little too raunchy and Kings Quest was never that exciting to begin with.

Quest for Glory would be cool but I think the idea of mixing RPG elements with adventure games might seem a little too complicated for new players these days.

Police Quest.. well, could be cool but they're not very funny games. But hey, Telltale has made CSI games so they've shown they're not all about humorous games.

Phantasmagoria... bad idea :D I can't imagine how they could accomplish creating a scary game using the Telltale Tool (or whatever it's called).

Gabriel Knight would be awesome but again, I have trouble seeing that made with the technology they're currently creating games with.. the GK games need really atmospheric settings and I think the engine they're currently using for games is best suited for cartoony looking games. They'd also have to get Jane Jensen on board.
  • edited August 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Sam & Max were never dead. There was a TV series, and a few cancelled games. I know they were cancelled, but it still means they were trying!

Yeah, but who knows what would have happened if Telltale hadn't been around to want the license? Sure, by all accounts Steve Purcell was amenable to doing a Sam & Max game project even after Freelance Police, but that doesn't mean there was a horde of companies pounding his door down or something. The webcomic wasn't completely unrelated to Telltale's resurrection of the characters, and neither were the releases of the animated series nor the Surfin' the Highwar reprint. Not to make the duo's comeback sound accidental, but it certainly wasn't a given, either. Just about every aspect of Sam & Max's resurgence has stemmed from Telltale making the new games.
  • edited August 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Phantasmagoria... bad idea :D I can't imagine how they could accomplish creating a scary game using the Telltale Tool (or whatever it's called).

Gabriel Knight would be awesome but again, I have trouble seeing that made with the technology they're currently creating games with.. the GK games need really atmospheric settings and I think the engine they're currently using for games is best suited for cartoony looking games. They'd also have to get Jane Jensen on board.

That's why they should use poorly acted FMV :D

(Seriously though, I really do miss FMV adventures. They have a certain Z-Movie charm to them that can't be replicated with animation)
  • edited August 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Police Quest.. well, could be cool but they're not very funny games. But hey, Telltale has made CSI games so they've shown they're not all about humorous games.

It could be done wacky. They could have a straight man, who is slightly off with his view on humanity, paired with a crazy sidekick who has a taste for mindless chaos and destruction. They could go around solving wacky crimes together.

nah... it'd never work...
  • edited August 2008
    I really rate those police quest games.. I've yet to find a series who did the police/crime in a true adventure format right..
  • edited August 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I've yet to find a series who did the police/crime in a true adventure format right..

*cough rhymes with "tram & flax" cough*

:p
  • edited August 2008
    Jam & Fax? Spam & stacks? Clam & Hacks?
  • edited August 2008
    Jam & Fax? But that was about two rabbis having wacky adventures in the Vatican :D
  • edited August 2008
    I can see Leisure Suit Larry being bought up for a pretty penny by a developer who'd like to make a party game out of it...
  • edited August 2008
    Oh, god, may that never happen.
  • edited August 2008
    wasn't that what they did with the last larry? the one that had no puzzles, but only mini-games..
  • edited August 2008
    I've heard they're making a new one, set at a film studio or something?

I think they were going back to the graphic adventure style gameplay, but don't hold me to that.
  • edited August 2008
    I actually hope they don't. Telltale needs a complete adventure game with their own IP. It is nice to go and make stuff that people already love and they can continue to do this but these old IPs aren't going anywhere. I know some of us would like to see a new PQ game but why bother grabbing the licence for it? So they can make PQ X or whatever number they left off at?
    Sometime in the future we can get another KQ game but not now... not when there is so much else to do...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.