Wii Trepidation

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the PC version or the Wii version of SBCG4AP and i have some serious concerns about the Wii release. First off, buying the whole season on PC seems to be a good $15 less expensive, which is pretty important right there. Secondly, the PC season has the possibility of bonus content, as with both Sam and Max seasons. Thirdly, each Sam and Max episode takes up over 100MB in PC form, so i assume the Strong Bad eps will be comparable (altho the Wii versions may be smaller). Unfortunately, Wiis only come with 512MB of storage space, and only half of that is actually partitioned for user use. Is there enough space on my Wii for me to store all 5 episodes without deleting too much of the stuff that i already have on there? Is there enough space on there at all to store all 5 games?

Don't get me wrong, i really want to get the Wii version, but right now, the PC version is just so much more enticing.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I, personally, would go with the PC version.
    2 reasons: 1: I don't have a Wii and 2: it's better, in my opinion.

The Wii version had to be massivly compressed to use on the Wii. However, all the episodes may not fit on there with other games or stuff like that. Your best bet to get it on the Wii is to buy an SD card or something and save the games on there for now. (As far as I know, you can't play games off of an SD, so you'll have to decide what goes where.) The only main advantage I see for the Wii is the WiiConnect24 usage on the game.

The PC version is uncompressed after you install it. From there, it's just about the same as the Wii except no WiiConnect24. In retrospect, the movment will be easier to use with the mouse and whatnot. And, on a PC you can store as much as 60,70,80,100 gigabytes can hold. The game might run a tad choppier/smoother (depending on how great your computer is) and the graphics might be a bit better.

In my opinion, I would have to go with the PC version, even if I had a Wii. But your choice is yours. Not mine. :)
  • edited August 2008
    I'll probably buy the first episode for Wii and then decide.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Tandy 400 wrote: »
    The Wii version had to be massivly compressed to use on the Wii.

Man, you people and your conclusion jumping. We have done a lot to make the game fit onto the Wii, most of which is completely unnoticeable to the viewer.

The game runs beautifully at the Wii's native 480p. If 480p isn't high enough resolution for you, then yeah maybe the PC is the better choice. But the fact of the matter is that the game is based on a flash cartoon; the textures just aren't that complex.

As for how much space the games will take up, you can be pretty sure that each episode will be just shy of 40mb on the Wii.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm going with Wii, of course. Getting to play it on an actual television instead of my fuzzy looking computer monitor is so much better, and I always have problems with PC games, anyway.

Of course the game content is pretty much identical which really removes alot of the other reasons to prefer one over the other, aside from television play, and the aforementioned.

Not concerned about the price, since I regularly buy point cards anyway, each month.

Also not concerned with space issues as I can either delete other titles and re-download them later or store them to my SD card. I really do have tons of Virtual Console games that i'd only want to ever play again on special occasions if ever, now that i've beaten some of them.

Plus, I use the Wii more than I spend time on the PC, anyway, and i'd rather play it on a bigger screen with my sound system hooked up then a small PC screen that renders DVD playback and game graphics too fuzzy for my liking, with tinny speaker sound.

My PC also tends to be choppy and slow with programs running, brings up spyware blocking messages up on my screen while playing, and other annoyances.

I'm just not a PC gamer, and I much vastly prefer the feel of playing on actual consoles on actual televisions with actual sound systems hooked up to them. Maybe that's because it's how I'm used to and prefer playing games since '83. *shrug*
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited August 2008
    Personally, I prefer playing the game on the Wii. But thats because I prefer playing games in my living room. I guess it makes it feel a little more cinematic to me. Plus I don't get that anti social feeling from being cooped up in the den hunched over my computer. Also, it insures that my wife will have to watch at least a little while I play, and hopefully she'll get sucked into it. I always prefer playing adventure games with a group of people, not just myself. :)
  • edited August 2008
    Each game will be about 40mb? According to my maths, that comes out to be something like 330 wii memory blocks. That also happens to be the number of free blocks i have on my wii right now. I'm probably also going to want to play these games long after the wii has been replaced by newer consoles (i played space quest 3 last weekend, and that game's pretty much 20 years old), so getting the pc version just makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the info.
  • edited August 2008
    You can store Wii stuff on SD cards, you know.
  • edited August 2008
    Yes, but you can't actually play games stored on sd cards. They have to be copied back to the internal flash drive first. Plus, they're node-locked to your console, so years from now, if you don't have the exact same wii system, you won't be able to play them.
  • edited August 2008
    Part one: Not a problem (to me). Part two: kinda a problem.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm most likely going to get it on the Wii. That way I can get it easily at home, and I wouldnt need a ride to Gamstop or anything. And my computer has Windows 2000, so I'm not entirely sure if it'll work on this kid. I guess the Wii version seems better for me, sitting down on a nice couch is the best way to do anything. =D
  • edited August 2008
    This game was made for the Wii, and it's going to be a blast on the Wii. However, you're talking to a forum full of people who own computers (that's how we got on here). So, I'd assume there's going to be a lot of PC people on here. (Of which I am one. I don't one a Wii)
  • edited August 2008
    John4 wrote: »
    I'm most likely going to get it on the Wii. That way I can get it easily at home, and I wouldnt need a ride to Gamstop or anything.

... You wouldn't, unless you needed points cards for the Wii.
  • edited August 2008
    phredt wrote: »
    Yes, but you can't actually play games stored on sd cards. They have to be copied back to the internal flash drive first. Plus, they're node-locked to your console, so years from now, if you don't have the exact same wii system, you won't be able to play them.

nintendo will copy them over for free (i believe) if you send them the old system and the new one.
  • edited August 2008
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    This game was made for the Wii, and it's going to be a blast on the Wii. However, you're talking to a forum full of people who own computers (that's how we got on here). So, I'd assume there's going to be a lot of PC people on here. (Of which I am one. I don't one a Wii)

It is not made for the Wii. It is made for the Wii and PC. They were made side by side. Neither is a port or a copy. It's the same damn thing.
  • edited August 2008
    Krodge wrote: »
    ... You wouldn't, unless you needed points cards for the Wii.

I think he was talking about the PC one. Either way, he still wouldn't, because that you download from Telltale's website.
  • edited August 2008
    It is not made for the Wii. It is made for the Wii and PC. They were made side by side. Neither is a port or a copy. It's the same damn thing.

He meant that the Wii version was made primarily. They were developed at the same time (I think), but more focus was on the Wii version.
  • edited August 2008
    They were both made at the same time.

It's not a "hey, here's this game for this console. Oh, and it's coming out on this, too." It's a "Hey, we made this game for these two consoles."
  • edited August 2008
    It is not made for the Wii. It is made for the Wii and PC. They were made side by side. Neither is a port or a copy. It's the same BLEEP thing.

You're right, however, it was always intended for WiiWare, that was always the main emphasis. So I stand by what I said.
    ...It's not a "hey, here's this game for this console. Oh, and it's coming out on this, too."...

No, it kind of is that way. Have you seen the trailer?
  • edited August 2008
    Their main focus was on the Wii, but they were made for both.

Developed side by side like any other multi-system game.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    The two versions were developed simultaneously, but the game was designed with the Wii in mind, which is important. It plays very nicely on the Wii and I think Wii owners will be happy with it.

Having played both versions, I don't think the game is necessarily more fun on one or the other. It's the same game either way. It really comes down to which system you prefer to play on. If you own both systems and you find yourself asking the question, then maybe the PC version is for you. But I think there are a lot of Wii owners out there who won't think twice about it, since the Wii is their preferred platform.
  • edited August 2008
    I'll probably get it for the PC, since I'm tight on money, have very little remaining memory on my Wii, and would like to get a potential bonus disc at the end of the season (unless the Wii eventually manages to get one). Of course, my initial purchase of it will all boil down to the reviews, so my opinions of it may change.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.