So, what do you think?

Here is your chance to post all your thoughts about the game, be they complaints, ramblings or praises. For once you don't have to spam to get your thoughts out!

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I'll review it when I'm done, thanks. I have no idea how far into it I really am.|

So far, these puzzles seem way too easy, and I'm hoping this is because I'm early in the game and not because the game overall has been made simple for those who don't play adventure games.
  • edited August 2008
    yeah, I noticed that in the beggining the game is mostly walking around and talking to people, but don't worry, it gets better.
  • edited August 2008
    It had its problems but generally was better than the first Sam & Max, which constantly improved form its first episode onwards. I'm looking forward optimistically.
  • edited August 2008
    Haven't done much in the game, so I'll only talk about graphics which are outstanding. IMO this is the best use of Toon Shading as the characters are able to maintain a 2D feel. It's also great to be in the Homestar Universe.

Oh and one request, love the main menu which replicates the Main Homestar page. Please though continue making new main menus with each episode. I've already cycled though all the things they could say.
  • edited August 2008
    The demo was really fun but unfortunately I don't have a credit card or a Wii.
  • edited August 2008
    I have only beaten the PC version's demo, but I find the game to be pretty fun. The humor is there, as is the odd plot and decent difficulty, but I have a couple gripes with the game.

The first one is the graphics engine. For some of the main characters, the style is definitely implemented perfectly, though I found that tiny errors with some of the models really took away from the look (Strong Sad's head and arms, some of the lesser items not really implementing the cel-shading well, etc.). Plus, there were a bunch of tiny glitches, from the outlines that would randomly appear at odd spots, to the shading going from sharp to blurry on some objects. I didn't really find the Homestar-style animations to be here, either--I was expecting a lot more moments to be more jerky than fluid. EDIT: An option for anti-aliasing would have also been nice, since the game is pretty sharp.

The second gripe is that there were definitely some spots where more dialogue would have been great. For instance, I was hoping that selecting the hedge-clippers and highlighting one of the characters that Strong Bad hated would lead to some interesting dialogue, but it wasn't there. Of course, I can forgive this because of limited development time and storage space.

Besides those two things though, I found the game to be fun. I may purchase a season pass for the PC version later on, or if Nintendo happens to announce a storage solution for the Wii in the coming months, I'll buy it for that.
  • edited August 2008
    Got the full version, finished it after about 4 hours.
    I thought the graphics were brilliant. I've only recently started looking into Strongbad after Telltale announced they were gameafying it but I'm glad I did, otherwise I would have thought the graphics were pathetic, now I've seen what they are based on though, I can say they are perfect.
    I thought that was easier than the Sam And Max games, I've needed help with every one of those, but I got through this and never got stuck for long, not that that's a bad thing, sometimes that's a con in Sam and Max, I feel bad for getting hints :).
    The humour was spot on too, made me laugh out load a couple of times.

An excellent first episode and cannot wait for the next ones.
  • edited August 2008
    Haven't made it entirely through yet (which was a pleasant surprise) but ultimately I'm feeling that it really captures the look and feel of the cartoons. While the puzzles are a bit too easy (so far), and the hint system makes them head-smackingly obvious, the game has a fair difficulty level here. Graphics are spot on except for Strong Sad's head which seems oddly misshapen, but that's completely forgivable. While Sam & Max is really my forte, Strong and Co. are keeping me busy as a long-time Homestar-Runner fan. And gripes aside, it's all Strong Bad, and that's really all we wanted, right? In my book, I'd echo similar reviews: 8 depressed and hopelessly single Homestars out of 10. :D :D
  • edited August 2008
    I love the
    opening "song"
    . Haven't got that far yet, but it damn good. :D
  • edited August 2008
    It's excellent, great humor, tons to do, just my difficulty.There are two problems, though.
    1.WAY too short.
    2.Why can't I compliment/insult people when in Extended Play?
  • edited August 2008
    stemot wrote: »
    Got the full version, finished it after about 4 hours.
    I thought the graphics were brilliant. I've only recently started looking into Strongbad after Telltale announced they were gameafying it but I'm glad I did, otherwise I would have thought the graphics were pathetic, now I've seen what they are based on though, I can say they are perfect.
    I thought that was easier than the Sam And Max games, I've needed help with every one of those, but I got through this and never got stuck for long, not that that's a bad thing, sometimes that's a con in Sam and Max, I feel bad for getting hints :).
    The humour was spot on too, made me laugh out load a couple of times.

An excellent first episode and cannot wait for the next ones.

Thats pretty much my exact reaction to this too. I managed it in about 4 hours, now Im hopelessly lost in the Extended play, I cant find anything new! lol.

There was one weird moment where I went to the KOT's castle and for some reason, for that entire place, strong bad had no eyes...it was kinda creepy actually *jibblie jibblie*
  • edited August 2008
    I can now say that I have finished the story (not extended play,) and enjoyed every minute of it. Being my first episodic adventure game, I didn't know how long the story would be. I was a little disappointed when it didn't last more than 4-5 hours, but I'll be enjoying the extended play. Absolutely loved every aspect of the game, it's the first point and click adventure game I am somewhat good at. When a game leaves you wanting the next episode, you know it's good.
  • I really Enjoyed the Game... The Graphics are Homestar-worthy, and Gameplay is great... including Minigames/Obsticals such as The Race to the End of the Race, The King of Town's Castle, and Snake Boxer 5.

Along with the Things I love, are the Random Obscure Trophies from Coach Z. Funny part is, you never know when you're gonna get one or why. XD The Use of the Lappy in the game is cool, too. The Characters look GREAT, too! Their models are perfect, and most of them display their 3D-ness whislt doing the
    Conga Dance

Things I disliked: During my first time playing, I crashed as I was about to get the Shears. Kinda Pissed, because I had to go through everything again, because the AutoSave feature isn't as good as Sam and Max's.

TO A TELLTALE PERSON: please reprogram the Auto-Save so it save whenever going to a place from the Map.

Anyways, sometimes the Game was too Easy. Such as the Beginning... all you had to do was Talk. It got better once I got to the K.O.T's castle. That part was Hard and good!

Teen Girl Squad is fun, but it didn;t settle on me very well. I guesss I just don't understand how to combine the Items to create the Deaths. Oh well.

All in All... I'd say 8.5/10! I can't wait for the Next Episode... BTW, where's is Homsar's mysterious Cameo I hear about that's been rumoured? i know he appears somewhere, like the Mariachi's! (Other than Calling him, that is)

@ HitTheRoad: Put Hints down to low, like I did. He doesn't hint at all, making it more challenging.
  • edited August 2008
    It's okay. I'm at the KoT's castle, but I've already found all of the easy to find Snake Boxer 5 manual peices. That was too easy. Haven't found any of the TGS cards yet, and I've only found 2 costume pieces. Hopefully the things will be so hard to find that I'll be occupied for a while.
  • They Will be... trust me, they will. ^_^
  • edited August 2008
    I agree, this felt too easy and also felt like a 4-year old could do it. But, my good friends, seeing as I will not be on these forums for a very long time (or untill episode 2 comes out), prepare for...
    STRONG BADIA THE FREE!
  • edited August 2008
    They Will be... trust me, they will. ^_^

I hope so. As long as I'm playing for a while...
  • edited August 2008
    The main plot was easy, but not easy enough that I never got stuck. There were a few points were I was wandering around. My favorite moment had to be the sneaking section though, I had a satisfying flash of brilliance in that sequence. That's why I play adventure games!

One thing I'm glad I didn't have to do: randomly applying everything in my inventory to everything in the enviroment. You guys say it is easy, but not in the '90s Kings Quest sense where sometimes it's completely illogical stuff that keeps things moving.
  • Askiba wrote: »
    The main plot was easy, but not easy enough that I never got stuck. There were a few points were I was wandering around. My favorite moment had to be the sneaking section though, I had a satisfying flash of brilliance in that sequence. That's why I play adventure games!

One thing I'm glad I didn't have to do: randomly applying everything in my inventory to everything in the enviroment. You guys say it is easy, but not in the '90s Kings Quest sense where sometimes it's completely illogical stuff that keeps things moving.
    lol, My favourite part was the Marshie Cameo. I had no clue how to get past the Logs until I tried all the stuff in my Inventory. lol.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't know if it's my pc, but sometimes SB's eyes will go missing. Other than that I'm liking it.
  • hmm.. Disappearing eyes seems to be a consistent PC bug. Never happened on my Wii, though.
  • edited August 2008
    lol, My favourite part was the Marshie Cameo.
    "DON'T SING MY SONG!"

Oh, SCP, you reminded me: I Looooove how nicely this ties into the H*R universe.
    The jello thing happened in an SB Email, but on a much larger scale!
    . Recalling that recently, I just did that instictively! :D
  • edited August 2008
    It's good. Unhappy that you can't talk to people more after you beat the game. It pretty much locks you out from two of the trophies after you've completed the game.
  • edited August 2008
    I completed the story, and I missed a couple obscure trophies. Exploration and digging up stuff I got.

I am now glad I got the PC version. Because at the end of this season, I am going to be obsessed with equipping Strong Bad with so many costume bits. I just need new shoes and a hat or something to finish my Videlectrix programmer outfit. That mustache is perfect for the jorb.

I really hope the difficulty ramps up a bit. The only times I got a bit stuck were the KoT's castle puzzle and the final puzzle. I found myself solving puzzles before I even knew what they were, and that actually caused some confusion. I was already going to
    dig up a hole and put clippings over it, and so when I trapped the King I didn't even realize I was supposed to stop him! I thought I was supposed to do something with him down there. Also, I noticed that he is still talking in his castle after you trap him in the hole.
  • edited August 2008
    i thought it was pretty short. but sam and max started out pretty short, too, and got longer as the season progressed. so i'm hoping that'll be the case for SBCG4AP :D
  • edited August 2008
    nathew wrote: »
    i thought it was pretty short. but sam and max started out pretty short, too, and got longer as the season progressed. so i'm hoping that'll be the case for SBCG4AP :D

The difficulty also ramped up in Sam and Max, so I'm hoping it will do the same here.
  • edited August 2008
    nathew wrote: »

But you have to take into consideration that Sam & Max could be larger than 40MB. That may partially explain the curt length of the game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.