Strong Bad Appreciation Thread*

I downloaded the WiiWare version of Homestar Ruiner this morning, seeing as my PC is currently in a comatose state, but that is a story for another time.

There is plenty to love about this game. Personally, I wasn't expecting the world to be as open as it is. I keep finding all sorts of distractions to keep me away from the main plot, and that of course adds to the overall length of the game. One feature that I find especially nice is the e-mail composition on Lappy 486. This makes it insanely easy to message everyone about the awesomeness of Strong Bad and Telltale Games. The camera and costumes are also nice additions, not to mention the various mini-games, such as Snake Boxer V and the Teen Girl Squad comic creator. I foresee quite a bit of replayability from all of this. Another thing that I love is how Strong Bad's house is seamlessly rendered. From room to room, there are no loading screens.

Overall, I would have to say that it is one of Telltale Games' best offerings yet, and I am only about half way through the game. I will definitely be purchasing a Season Pass for the PC soon enough.

* If anyone else has already created a Strong Bad Appreciation Thread, I am sorry.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I love this game too. But now we have to wait another month for the next episode!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I love this game too. But now we have to wait another month for the next episode!

A month will pass quicker than you think!
  • edited August 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    A month will pass quicker than you think!

Good point, I'm going to St.Louis for a week long vacation. While I'm gone, make a Strong Badia the Free info page for me, will ya?
  • edited August 2008
    Good point, I'm going to St.Louis for a week long vacation. While I'm gone, make a Strong Badia the Free info page for me, will ya?

Please Jake, PLEASE!!!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    We'll put episode 2 stuff up once the hoopla over episode 1 has died down a bit :)
  • edited August 2008
    I'll chime in here too. I agree with the initial poster, it's a solid and fun game. Much better than I had anticipated (I wasn't all that excited about this game since I've never been to the site it's based on).

But even though I only had a vague idea on what it's based on (from reading posts here) and never having watched any of the flash cartoons - I still greatly enjoyed the game.

Thumbs up from me!:D
  • edited August 2008
    Yep, it really is a cool and awesome game. I was surprised at how huge the environments were, lots to do. Great fun, in the spirit of the H*R toons. 3 thumbs up! Er... 2. But if I had 3, I'd put them all up.
  • edited August 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »

But even though I only had a vague idea on what it's based on (from reading posts here) and never having watched any of the flash cartoons - I still greatly enjoyed the game.

I highly recommend going there. That way you'll get the in-jokes and what the characters are all about. :D
  • edited August 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    We'll put episode 2 stuff up once the hoopla over episode 1 has died down a bit :)

That may take a while...
  • edited August 2008
    I have to say... the most fun thing about the game for me, was really interacting with the Homestar Runner world.

I also love the way the story was put together. Yes, I just want to take a moment to really commend you guys on the writing, here, and the collaboration with the Chaps.

This game, is exactly what I would think that a Homestar Runner movie would be, if it was, say a full length styled straight to DVD release by the Chaps, themslevels.

You guys really did manage to perfectly capture the essense of the Homestar World, and presented a plot that was every bit as simple, quaint, charming and fun as the cartoons themselves. You managed to hit almost every element of what makes up the biggest, overall endearing success that makes the website fun to watch.

Every major character was put in, in a way that never quite seemed out of place for them, and never out of character for them. Also, as far as the way characters were USED, you also managed to hit the nail, pretty much on the head as to how often these characters are used, to what effect and how much.

For instance, let's take a supporting main character like Pom Pom. Pom Pom's involvement was relatively minor in Homestar Ruiner but still important, and managed still, the subtle inflection of the character which also, does not receive a huge part in the website quite as much. The website doesn't use him quite as much anymore, and the game was faithful even to this.

Now, I think that you've gotten the "overall aspect" of H*R.com down perfectly, now all you guys need to do, is start filtering in the other side additions to the universe in future installments such as Stinkoman 20X6, Trogdor, Sweet Cuppin Cakes, Senior Cardgage and more.

Maybe the 20X6 and the 1936 versions could lend themselves to a "Back To The Future"-esque story about going between past versions and future versions, much like the Light and Dark worlds in "A Link To The Past", in an effort of Strong Bad to change his present and then trying to set everything back after he makes a huge mistake?

Even so, I liked how episode 1 felt without them, but it would be nice to see some of those randomly showing up for a bit, much like the quick Marshie cameo you included, in the future.

Back to the game itself, all of the extras FEEL like H*R styled easter eggs. Fun extras there for the uncovering with a bit of looking around. Snake Boxer 5 may be a very basic game, but it's surprisingly addictive. Especially with the cheat code, adding another layer to it.

But in a way, you've tapped into something with the overall story of Homestar Ruiner that is a natural feel for the website in general. The relationship between Strong Bad and Homestar and it's duality in nature.. almost like the classic Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck relationship, was handedly intricately within the plot itself.

You've accurately duplicated all of the charm of the flash cartoon and itself and really made it seem very well put together. The interactions felt just like a H*R "toon" itself, and no one ever seemed to say anything that could be regarded as "they would never say that".

This is very close to what a Homestar Runner feature would probably be.

Let me put it this way. When dealing with certain popular animated shows transitioning into feature length films, such as, say.. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America. You've done for Homestar Runner, what that film did for B&B. Extended it into a longer episode that sought to add every element from the series into the adventure, in an accurate way to it's world.

Your entire team, and the clearly fruitful collaboration with the Chapmans produced something that feels like a natural and very faithfully penned extension of H*R.com.

There may never be any kind of Homestar Runner movie playing in theaters. But you've done the next best thing that really captures that same level of excitement and quality.

Thank you.
  • edited August 2008
    "Homestar Ruiner" was a fun game. Nice job, guys.
  • edited August 2008
    Fun, fun, fun! I'll have that game going untill my Wii console is a smouldering crater! :D It's fun, funny, and challenging at the same time, the three most important parts of a game. It's in my top ten for shure! Overall, I'd give it... 8.9/10. Very, very good.
  • edited August 2008
    I think the game is wonderful.
    Gameplay-wise, it's the most un-linear and free experience that Telltale has ever created. I've actually REplayed some parts of the game to understand and/or find all the bonus features and minigames. That's a plus.
    Being Italian, I didn't know the franchise at all, so this sounds almost an original IP to me. Well, it's very funny and it works. Strong Bad isn't your typical unoriginal politically uncorrect character: he's almost endearing in his quest for awesomeness. The setting is weird and lovable (if you like cartoons).
    Also, the presentation is great: 3D animation is both faithful to the original look of the Homestarrunner website, at the same time managing to improve the feeling of characters. GREAT voice acting by Matt Chapman.
    No one can handle your style, Telltale... :D
    My rating is a solid "8".

Out of curiosity, what's the size of the WiiWare version? PC version is 64Mb.
  • edited August 2008
    I love the game also, but it isnt quite up there with Sam & max.

Personally i cant wait to see all the improvements in Episode 2, as ep1 here has alot of problems and stuff that doesnt work to good, but its mentioned in other threads :)

I would highly recommend viewing Strong Bads email service, it really adds even more to the game, on the same note i hope Telltale uses some of the good moments and such from those emails, as it would be a prime place to find inspiration for the episodes.
  • edited August 2008
    I've liked Strong Bad for at least since the start of Homestar Runner.com... and Homestar Ruiner has done so much well for Strong Bad... I'm hopeful that one day the greatest of all adventure games becomes available to Telltale "prays for a new Monkey Island series"
  • edited August 2008
    I have to say... the most fun thing about the game for me, was really interacting with the Homestar Runner world.

I also love the way the story was put together. Yes, I just want to take a moment to really commend you guys on the writing, here, and the collaboration with the Chaps.

This game, is exactly what I would think that a Homestar Runner movie would be, if it was, say a full length styled straight to DVD release by the Chaps, themslevels.

You guys really did manage to perfectly capture the essense of the Homestar World, and presented a plot that was every bit as simple, quaint, charming and fun as the cartoons themselves. You managed to hit almost every element of what makes up the biggest, overall endearing success that makes the website fun to watch.

Every major character was put in, in a way that never quite seemed out of place for them, and never out of character for them. Also, as far as the way characters were USED, you also managed to hit the nail, pretty much on the head as to how often these characters are used, to what effect and how much.

For instance, let's take a supporting main character like Pom Pom. Pom Pom's involvement was relatively minor in Homestar Ruiner but still important, and managed still, the subtle inflection of the character which also, does not receive a huge part in the website quite as much. The website doesn't use him quite as much anymore, and the game was faithful even to this.

Now, I think that you've gotten the "overall aspect" of H*R.com down perfectly, now all you guys need to do, is start filtering in the other side additions to the universe in future installments such as Stinkoman 20X6, Trogdor, Sweet Cuppin Cakes, Senior Cardgage and more.

Maybe the 20X6 and the 1936 versions could lend themselves to a "Back To The Future"-esque story about going between past versions and future versions, much like the Light and Dark worlds in "A Link To The Past", in an effort of Strong Bad to change his present and then trying to set everything back after he makes a huge mistake?

Even so, I liked how episode 1 felt without them, but it would be nice to see some of those randomly showing up for a bit, much like the quick Marshie cameo you included, in the future.

Back to the game itself, all of the extras FEEL like H*R styled easter eggs. Fun extras there for the uncovering with a bit of looking around. Snake Boxer 5 may be a very basic game, but it's surprisingly addictive. Especially with the cheat code, adding another layer to it.

But in a way, you've tapped into something with the overall story of Homestar Ruiner that is a natural feel for the website in general. The relationship between Strong Bad and Homestar and it's duality in nature.. almost like the classic Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck relationship, was handedly intricately within the plot itself.

You've accurately duplicated all of the charm of the flash cartoon and itself and really made it seem very well put together. The interactions felt just like a H*R "toon" itself, and no one ever seemed to say anything that could be regarded as "they would never say that".

This is very close to what a Homestar Runner feature would probably be.

Let me put it this way. When dealing with certain popular animated shows transitioning into feature length films, such as, say.. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America. You've done for Homestar Runner, what that film did for B&B. Extended it into a longer episode that sought to add every element from the series into the adventure, in an accurate way to it's world.

Your entire team, and the clearly fruitful collaboration with the Chapmans produced something that feels like a natural and very faithfully penned extension of H*R.com.

There may never be any kind of Homestar Runner movie playing in theaters. But you've done the next best thing that really captures that same level of excitement and quality.

Thank you.

QFT.

Thank you for typing down everything I wanted to say about the game. The Telltale Team should pat themselves on the back!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.