Strong Bad ep 1 worst telltale game? [says Gamespot]

Strong Bad only got 5 from gamespot breaking CSI crime evidence by 5 points.Will it become the worst telltale game reception wise.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    It's gotten great scores in other places. It's a great game, much better than the first Bone game, for instance (I never played the second Bone so I can't say anything about that).

It's a great game and I think the average score will reflect that. Gamespot often misses completely, I don't trust that site anymore.
  • edited August 2008
    weren't they also the ones that had false release dates for "homestar ruiner" all the time?
  • edited August 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    weren't they also the ones that had false release dates for "homestar ruiner" all the time?
    That was every place.

Gamespot's reviews have slowly hit a slump with me in the last few years, and they've now reached a point where I consider their opinions invalid. :P
  • edited August 2008
    For me, this was only an introduction game. As the more exciting plots come along, the series will get better.

I'm only judging from the demo because my Mum doesn't trust websites with her credit card details :(
  • edited August 2008
    The guy is obviously nuts. Look at one of the cons: "Pointing and clicking becomes tiresome quickly". Isn' that what you do in every mouse controlled game ever?
  • edited August 2008
    It's been long since I stoped visiting Gamespot. Even before Gerstmanngate.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, overall, it has a score of a little over 80% if look on metacritic.com. The lowest it got was 70% (and it recommened a buy anyway).

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/strongbadsep1homestarruiner

I had some fun, but the Sam and Max games felt to be more fun than Ep. 1. I think it just need more polish though before it gets better.
  • edited August 2008
    And on 'On the Spot' GameStop talked about it as being a great game! Stick to IGN.
  • edited August 2008
    Only one reviewer matters: yahtzee (zero punctuation)
  • edited August 2008
    The only review that really matters is your own. If you loved the game you loved the game regardless of what other people think.
  • edited August 2008
    and IGN said it was out a month early! stick to kotaku.
  • edited August 2008
    Kotaku isn't exactly a review site. A game blog yes but a review site it is not. (though I did see they had a review for this game up :p)
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, GameSpot's review quality has been going down as of late, especially with Wii games. SBCG4AP generally has been getting quite good reviews elsewhere.

Only one person's opinion really counts, and that's your own, but if you must read reviews, it's best to look at things from a big-picture perspective rather than one single review.
  • GaryGary Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Reviews are opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... and it doesn't necessarily mean it'll match yours.
  • edited August 2008
    And yet, when you insult the GENRE in your review, then perhaps you shouldn't be publishing this particular review.

You wouldn't ask a person that is an ardent Japanese RPG fan to review the next big FPS. You wouldn't ask someone that only plays casual games like Wii Sports to give an opinion on, say, Metal Gear or an Elder Scrolls game.

I mean, a person trying to get into SBCG4AP should be informed that it IS an adventure game and what an adventure game IS, since there are so few around nowadays that the genre can not even exist on some gamer's radars. But to make someone who would never buy the game in the first place to review it...is a disservice to people considering a purchase. And this appears to be the case with the Gamespot review.
  • edited August 2008
    come on SBCG4AP is such a awsome game i think i'm gonna play it right...about...now!
  • edited August 2008
    I've played it. It's excellent. I love it!

Just about anyone that gives this game a bad score or really hates it, is, in my opinion, one of those people that fits into the dusty, forgotten shelves of the "You just don't get it" category.

Their opinion doesn't really even matter since, from what i've seen, the naysayers's unfamiliarity with the cartoon or license or their general dislike and bias against the "point and click" genre in the first place are what these people seem to be going by.

It's a great Homestar Runner game, a great point and click game FOR fans of H*R, and that's really all that matters.

Another problem with unfair, badly written reviews, is that I think also people expect this game to be "epic". Again, showing that they just don't "get it". No true Homestar runner fan would describe the cartoon as "epic". Charming, and funny, yes. Epic, never. And the game shouldn't be, either.

It's funny, fun, enjoyable, and that's all that matters. Maybe a little bit short, but that's why it's episodic. All 5 games together, spread out through 5 months will be very long, i'm sure.

I find it a waste of time to even look at reviews for this game. Especially Gamespot, which, after having run neck and neck for the most useless gaming website ever with IGN, through recent events and controversies at Gamespots poor management over the last year, Gamespot has won the that title of "most useless game website" by a long shot.

Their serious staff and management issues over their content and their bad management and ignorance seriously invalidates at least 87% of Gamespot's credibility. This Homestar Ruiner review is just another reason why Gamespot is pathetic and no one should even listen to that site, ever. They just don't feel that they have to know what they are in fact, talking about, before saying much of anything.

Homestar Ruiner is, exactly the kind of game people are either going to "get it" or they won't. And if they don't "get it", that's their fault. Not the game's fault.

It does what it does very well, and is in every regard, true and faithful to the HomestarRunner.com world. Telltale has produced the exact type of game that H*R fans should appreciate as being very true to it's source and fun to play for a while.
  • edited August 2008
    The only review that really matters is your own. If you loved the game you loved the game regardless of what other people think.

Wow, gamer zen...
  • edited August 2008
    I find it a waste of time to even look at reviews for this game. It's exactly the kind of game people are either going to "get it" or they won't. And if they don't "get it", that's their fault. Not the game's fault.

The way I see it, there is MORE of a point to reviewing episodic games than there is to writing reviews for the big $60 "AAA" titles. Because with an episodic game, the course of the game itself can change. Because the developers can say "Oh, well, the people who played the first game liked this aspect, but disliked that aspect. What can we do to improve that aspect? How can we continue to provide this aspect?"

For example, it seems like the general consensus is that they got the graphics spot-on, with a couple complaints about little graphical glitches or certain characters (Strong Sad, especially) that look odd in the engine. People seem to be very happy with the writing. The length and/or difficulty of the game seem to be negatives that a lot of people have. Then again, I may be applying my own opinions and noticing them more than others, but the point that reviews and customer feedback ideally play a big role in the episodic model.
  • edited August 2008
    What the heck happened with Gamespot? I normally enjoy reading their reviews and they normally come close to the critic average. But this time they've completely messed it up. You only have to look at the three scores posted on their review. They gave the game a 5 where as the average critic score (from only five reviews) is 7 and the average user score is 7.5. In fact on the Wii page the game got an average critic (from six mostly different reviews) and user score of 8.7. Seriously what the heck is going on here?

Oh well, all of us who have played the game know the truth. So do most critics as well. Gamespot are wrong, it is an excellent game.

Charlie
  • edited August 2008
    Uhm... yeah... this is coming from GAMESPOT...

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/lostwinds/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review
    One of the Best WiiWare games, 5.5.

It could be a number of Reasons, its possible GameSpot doesn't like Nintendo, possible they expect a full 50$ game content from WiiWare.
    More then likely, its the fact they take bribes.
  • edited August 2008
    They aren't WRONG, an opinion can't be. There isn't a magic number that shows a game's quality, no matter how much we want one. There are people that hate Halo and Final Fantasy, but obviously there are people that buy these games.

There is not "truth" that we know.

Now, I don't think this particular reviewer was the best for this game. They don't like adventure games, so they weren't going to enjoy it. This person wasn't really in their target audience. But their opinion is a valid one. My favorite game of all time is Morrowind, but you can very easily find someone who thinks it's boring and tedious. Neither opinion is "right", and gamers would be far better off if they'd just stop it with their crusades.
  • edited August 2008
    They aren't WRONG, an opinion can't be. There isn't a magic number that shows a game's quality, no matter how much we want one. There are people that hate Halo and Final Fantasy, but obviously there are people that buy these games.

There is not "truth" that we know.

An opinion may not be fact but game critics tend to give similar scores for games. Because Gamespot gave a score that was completely outside the trend set by other reviewers and that they even complained about too much pointing and clicking I really have to question validity of their opinion.

Charlie
  • edited August 2008
    It's like that guy who gave Sonic Next Gen a 10 out of 10 on GameFAQS.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I can't find a GameSpot review for Strong Bad, only Player Reviews and Other Reviews. Can someone link the GameSpot review please?

Edit: NM I found it. All I can say for that review is "Telltale Games really missed the boat here by not including an option to view the original content" is a really stupid idea, IMO.
  • edited August 2008
    If you can go to any site and get the same opinion as everyone else, I don't see how this is a good thing. And it's more a problem of the reviewers really not using the full spectrum of their numbers. It tends to be a scale of 6-10 unless the game is unplayable. So yes, scores are going to be similar.

I still think measuring a game's worth in terms of a numerical score simply CANNOT work, in any circumstances. And if it can, I'd prefer a smaller scale. In terms of ten. Without decimals, decimals are cheating.
  • edited August 2008
    Reviews aren't wrong, because they are opinions. But it didn't seem like they were paying much attention when playing the game. In one caption, they said Homestar was talking to his "agent." So it boils down to whether or not you trust the review. And there's no reason to get frustated about it. You like, then you go ahead and inform the world about how great it is instead of writing angry e-mails to the website. Or let your friends try it out and if they like it they'll tell their frinds and so on (word of mouth).
  • edited August 2008
    Reviews aren't wrong, because they are opinions. But it didn't seem like they were paying much attention when playing the game. In one caption, they said Homestar was talking to his "agent." So it boils down to whether or not you trust the review. And there's no reason to get frustated about it. You like, then you go ahead and inform the world about how great it is instead of writing angry e-mails to the website. Or let your friends try it out and if they like it they'll tell their frinds and so on (word of mouth).

It's a joke. Homestar is talking to his agent, because he's mad that he got put in a "crappy" game. He's mad that his license was used on something so sub-par.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, the game was good, but I've come to realize there's not much to do.It needs a little more content.So it actually was sub-par.But it's the first episode, so you probably suspect that.
  • edited August 2008
    Don't base your opinion of games solely on what the critics say (especially what one critic says). It's evident that the guy who reviewed it doesn't like Adventure Games. I mean come on he thought that Brunswick Pro Bowling was better than Strong Bad.
  • edited August 2008
    They aren't WRONG, an opinion can't be.

Hate to disagree, but opinions can in fact, be erroneous and wrong.

One of the things that seems to cause way too many problems with the world today is the climate of our flawed social structure that leads people to believe that anytime that they open their mouth that they are instantly right about absolutely anything without even presenting a reason and backing it up.

Thus hiding behind the fallacy that "opinions can't be wrong" as some kind of all encompassing shield to delude themselves from the possibility they they could ever be incorrect about anything, and repeating "it's my opinion" like a broken record in any attempt to close a matter and keep on believing they are right, and growing up this way.

For example, if someone was to actually look up at a clear, blue sky, point at it and say "I think the sky looks to me, like it's purple and red, with orange polka dots and plaid stripes", they would in fact be wrong. No matter how strong or empathetically their ridiculous and incorrect "opinion" on the color of the sky is stated, it's still factually wrong.

No matter if it's a hallucination or somehow someone might actually legitimately believe the sky to be purple and red with orange polka dots and plaid stripes, does nothing to change the fact that they are completly incorrect in what they believe.

People can in fact, have opinions that are, in every way wrong, or at the least, based soley on ridiculous and uncredible criteria such as matters of extreme bias or ignorance of a given subject, opinions can be as wrong as any kind of statement from any kind of person can be.

Therefore all opinions aren't equal, and many of them (especially from most people today) aren't particularly based in anything resembling good common sense, knowledge, logic or actual truth, and as such many of them aren't worth even listening to.

Everyone has an opinion, no one is right all the time, therefore people often state "opinions" that are on occasion completly wrong.

There's never going to be any sort of end to people's "opinions" going against each other, nor is there ever going to be any stopping arguments or disagreements from taking place in the world. At the very least though, I would hope that we would recognize disagreements and arguments in society as a nessessary evil as long as people continue to feel "entitiled" to opinions that are sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

The point is that "right" opinions and "wrong" opinions are, very hard for humans to comprehend and can sometimes labor their entire moral decisions in life entirely on wrong opinions, incorrectly believing them to be the right ones. That's why disagreements exist at all. But just as humans make bad choices and good choices while not fulling knowing the extent of either, they also can state opinions that are right and ones that are wrong.

Maybe someday people will realize that and stop trying to hide behind the semantic nonsense that "opinions can't be wrong.".

It's the kind of touchy-feely nonsense that only serves to let unintelligent or ignorant people feel confident to be as ignorant as they want to be without opposition from anyone else. Todays society is built on nonsense like this to let people with an IQ of, say, 97, act like they are better and much more intelligent than people whose IQ is tested at 200 or more.

Yes, opinions can absolutely be factually wrong.

Merely believing that someone is right in what they say doesn't automatically make it true or relevant. Not everyone is a special and unique snowflake and sometimes people honestly just don't have any clue what they are talking about when they say it.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't really read (or watch) much reviews. I watch zero punctuation reviews cause he has pretty okay taste and even the ones I don't agree with are entertaining to watch.

Also, I don't like metacritic much. Several different people with several different ways to assign random numbers that attempt to sum up complex opinions. My 2 favorite movies got a 72 and a 62.

Important fact to remember:
    ALL REVIEWS ARE JUST SOME INTERNET GUYS OPINION! Make up your own mind?
  • edited August 2008
    Hate to disagree, but opinions can in fact, be erroneous and wrong.

One of the things that seems to cause way too many problems with the world today is the climate of our flawed social structure that leads people to believe that anytime that they open their mouth that they are instantly right about absolutely anything without even presenting a reason and backing it up.

Thus hiding behind the fallacy that "opinions can't be wrong" as some kind of all encompassing shield to delude themselves from the possibility they they could ever be incorrect about anything, and repeating "it's my opinion" like a broken record in any attempt to close a matter and keep on believing they are right, and growing up this way.

For example, if someone was to actually look up at a clear, blue sky, point at it and say "I think the sky looks to me, like it's purple and red, with orange polka dots and plaid stripes", they would in fact be wrong. No matter how strong or empathetically their ridiculous and incorrect "opinion" on the color of the sky is stated, it's still factually wrong.

No matter if it's a hallucination or somehow someone might actually legitimately believe the sky to be purple and red with orange polka dots and plaid stripes, does nothing to change the fact that they are completly incorrect in what they believe.

People can in fact, have opinions that are, in every way wrong, or at the least, based soley on ridiculous and uncredible criteria such as matters of extreme bias or ignorance of a given subject, opinions can be as wrong as any kind of statement from any kind of person can be.

Therefore all opinions aren't equal, and many of them (especially from most people today) arent particularly based in anything resembling good common sense, knowledge or actual truth, and as such many of them aren't worth even listening to.

In the context, I believe it is reasonable to infer that my meaning was that this is the case when it comes to matters that are purely subjective. In an entertainment product, this simply has to be the case. Your personal opinion of the product is what decides whether or not it is worth purchasing.

It is not like a piece of equipment, where various merits of quantifiable quality can be used to decide which is "better". For example, I can say that one new laptop is not as good as another new laptop if they are both the same price, and yet one has far worse technical specifications.

It is tempting to break a video game down into quantifiable elements that can be rated in a numerical fashion. Things like graphics and the technology used to create the game can be quantified in some ways, but cannot in others. How can we rate the graphics of games that go for a distinctly different style? Photorealism can be rated through many means, but it becomes more difficult to say where the likes of Okami, Paper Mario, and the Strong Bad game lie on a purely objective and quantifiable scale.

A game is an experience that cannot be properly rated, because the quantifiable elements of a game do not equate to the full experience. We can easily see the production values of a title, but beyond the obvious it's impossible to pin down the experience with a number that matches up with all the previous numbers.

In your case, we have an obvious fact. At least, for those who see the color spectrum in the way most humans seem to, and who see the same things in the sky as we do. It is known that bees use the infrared spectrum to guide them towards the nectar in flowers. But this is a bit of an off-topic rant.

Also, you're being a prick. =p
  • edited August 2008
    Photorealism can be rated through many means, but it becomes more difficult to say where the likes of Okami, Paper Mario, and the Strong Bad game lie on a purely objective and quantifiable scale.

Not to mention Katamari Damacy...
  • edited August 2008
    Interesting to note that the Gamespot review is no longer listed on Metacritic (it was there earlier). Especially since both sites are part of the same company.
  • edited August 2008
    I also think of this as sort of an introduction to more exciting episodes to come. The very idea of an multi-episode video game is new and unique! Cheers to the team for delivering a true HSR experience!
  • edited August 2008
    Eh, I wouldn't go to gamespot for reviews on adventure games. They tend to completely hate them more often than not.
  • I don't care what stupid reviewers say, SBCG4AP is awesome. You can't rate a game. it all depends on the Viewer's opinions.
  • edited August 2008
    There were only two things I disliked about the game. I felt the puzzles were a bit too easy and the game was short. This is just an introduction to the series, and I still have to say I loved every minute of playing it and I can't wait until the next episode comes out. If you ask me that sounds like a game doing what it's meant to do, build anticipation for the next episode while letting you have a blast.
  • edited August 2008
    According to Metacritic.com, which is fairer as it collates as many reviews as it can and creates an average, the Wii version got 82%, whereas the PC version 73%.
    So although it didn't score as high as any of the Sam & Max games, it still did better than Bone: Out from Boneville and both of the CSI games, so definitely isn't the worst TTG game out there.
    And tbh, 73% isn't a bad score, either. You could go a lot worse than being Awesome with the 'Bad if looking for an adventure game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.