Audio Quality?

Amazing game, but something is really detracting from my enjoyment :(

Does anyone else have an issue with the audio quality of the game?

The compression used on the dialog creates some odd audio artifacting, especially with Strong Bad's voice. I understand that better quality audio would significantly add to the download size, and thus cost Telltale Games more money to deliver it to everyone; but I implore you, Telltale, PLEASE offer an audio quality upgrade pack. It's a minor detail that some people don't mind (or they simply put up with it, since they're used to the compression on the Homestar Runner website), but I expected more quality since this is a stand-alone game in it's own engine.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I found the audio to be ok. I think what we have is pretty standard for all telltale games. In the future I suppose a high quality version could come out.
  • edited August 2008
    Unfortunately Sam & Max is affected by the same issue, and there have been several threads about that which didn't seem to change Telltale's mind. I did think the quality in Strong Bad was a slight step up but still not what it should be for a quality production.
  • edited August 2008
    Oof. That's to bad. This actually hurts my ears.
  • edited August 2008
    it actually depends on your sound setup as well... i never have any issues with the compressed audio sounding distorted on my sound system (it sounds odd, yes.. but not really "bad")

(and it is a decent 3.1 Realtek HD surround system i have here)

i have also noted that users that prefer headphones are the one who complain about the sound quality... why not try listening to the game with actual speakers, then are you are less likely to hear the sound compression artifacts ;)
  • edited August 2008
    I've only tried the PC version, though I didn't really notice the audio quality being too poor. I know for a fact that it's much less compressed than the sounds on the Homestar Runner website, and that the game rivals the audio quality in Homestar's Quote of the Week sound files (you can definitely tell the difference with Marzipan's voice).
  • edited August 2008
    I don't mind the sound compression; in fact I don't really notice it. The only weird thing with the audio on my game is that occasionally the audio would skip part of the first word in the sentence. Still I had the text on so that didn't really bother me either.

Charlie
  • edited August 2008
    I'm playing on a PC with a year old Sound Blaster Audigy and a 5.1 speaker setup. I'm used to playing games with good quality audio. This one stands out as being sub-par by a long shot. That is all I'm saying. I'd really like them to do something about it.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah its sad, that Telltale wont accept that most people have fast internet connections today, and for games like this where graphics isnt that good, its sad to see them keep shipping with so bad audio quality :( but what can you do.
  • edited August 2008
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    ... but what can you do.

I can post on the forums and hope that someone at Telltale may read it and realize that they will make people happier by changing their compression quality. And if that doesn't happen then i guess I can regret buying all the episodes without first playing a demo. And then I guess I can also stop complaining and just play the game with the audio muted and subtitles on.
  • edited August 2008
    You see, the thing is...

For every single post like yours complaining about the audio quality... There is also a person out there who is unable to have a broadband internet connection (for whatever reason, geographical location, monetary, etc.) and the added sound file size, would add hours to their download time (if not days).

Personally, I have a cable modem and most downloads only take seconds (if that). But in my online gaming ventures, you would actually be surprised at just how many are still running dial up...

And, releasing different versions, or adding more download/install options is just too complicated (for the less computer savy crowd) and would probably would confuse most other users as well.

BUT, I do agree that at the end of the season, when (and if) they release the season on disc. The hard copy should contain higher quality audio, simply because download size is not an issue with hard copies.

Continuing to include the subpar audio in the hard copies is just wrong, and them not taking the time to perform the necessary updates makes me wonder if they even have the ability to record uncompressed sound at all :rolleyes: (but i know they do, and thats what makes it even more unprofessional... it makes them look just plain lazy).
  • edited August 2008
    We here at Videlectrix don't know what you're talking about. We made SURE Snake Boxer V supported the latest in 2-bit mono PC internal speaker sound! If Mr. Telltale doesn't want to suppot heyday-quality bleep-composition, that's just a loss to all of ya. We don't know, because this demo cartridge isn't working in all our latest systems.
  • edited August 2008
    We here at Videlectrix don't know what you're talking about. We made SURE Snake Boxer V supported the latest in 2-bit mono PC internal speaker sound! If Mr. Telltale doesn't want to suppot heyday-quality bleep-composition, that's just a loss to all of ya. We don't know, because this demo cartridge isn't working in all our latest systems.

Are you guys sure you have all the latest systems...?
  • edited August 2008
    of course they do...:rolleyes:

no, sewiously..i never had any issues with the audio in sam&max, in sbcg4ap i totally noticed the compression though. also, the voices seem a bit different from the flash cartoons..and since no new voice actors were hired..anyway, i still like the game.
  • edited August 2008
    i was hoping the rather poor audio quality was just the demo... it does get on my nerves. i wonder what codec they use? i've used Vorbis at very low bitrates for voice and had better sound fidelity than this.
  • edited August 2008
    Makes me glad that I genuinely can't hear the problem :)
  • edited August 2008
    ohhh boy, telltale has crossed the audiophiles.

you guys just be glad it's not the same fidelity as the flash cartoons ;)
  • edited August 2008
    I would also like to add that they have an actual size limit that they have to keep it under in order for Nintendo to sell their game on WiiWare. Increasing quality adds unnecessary bytes, considering that it sounds really good on a TV and with actual speakers (according to other people, I bought the Wii version).
    It isn't "horrible" sound quality, no matter how much you want it to be. Is it less than you want? I should say so, but I think it is fine and you don't need to insult TTG in an attempt to make life harder for everyone except you. And all this over the way the voices are put into the game....
  • edited August 2008
    Ah, yes, the "More audio quality please" threads. I was wondering when they'd pop up.
    I don't really know what to tell you. It might bug you, but I think the people who notice that sort of thing are in the minority.
  • edited August 2008

The compression used on the dialog creates some odd audio artifacting, especially with Strong Bad's voice. I understand that better quality audio would significantly add to the download size, and thus cost Telltale Games more money to deliver it to everyone; but I implore you, Telltale, PLEASE offer an audio quality upgrade pack. It's a minor detail that some people don't mind (or they simply put up with it, since they're used to the compression on the Homestar Runner website), but I expected more quality since this is a stand-alone game in it's own engine.

have you tried turning the graphics quality down, may seem bizzarre but i can help, i had this issue with sam and max on my old laptop which could easily run it a max settings but my sound card didnt agree with it
  • edited August 2008
    I really don't notice sound quality. The only thing I noticed with the sound was that some of the voices sounded a little different. So I guess my problem was that the sound quality wasn't low enough. :p
  • FloFlo
    edited August 2008
    As others have pointed out, using headphones tends to bring out the highly compressed frequencies, making especially voices sound tinny and jittery. If you have the option, definitely use speakers.

It's a shame that Telltale doesn't have the resources to compile a higher-quality voice package, either for the DVD release, or as a standalone optional download.

Either way, it still sounds better than those old Lucasarts Talkies ;)
  • edited August 2008
    Flo wrote: »
    As others have pointed out, using headphones tends to bring out the highly compressed frequencies, making especially voices sound tinny and jittery. If you have the option, definitely use speakers.

It's a shame that Telltale doesn't have the resources to compile a higher-quality voice package, either for the DVD release, or as a standalone optional download.

Either way, it still sounds better than those old Lucasarts Talkies ;)

Since when do they not have the resources? Did all of you PC people forget about the second platform which has a definitive size limit, preventing them from making it any better w/o making the game itself less good? Is sound really so important you would sacrifice game length or playability? Because that is the only way you will ever get HD quality sound as long as this is a WiiWare game and the rest of the world other than yourself has at least a chance of being dial-up. As for DVD, it has been quite a bit since the S&M one was released and I'm sure that it will be higher quality.... even though I'm being cheated out of it by Nintendo.....
  • FloFlo
    edited August 2008
    InfamousDS wrote: »
    Since when do they not have the resources?
    I don't have a link or a quote at hand, but lack of resources was the gist of it when the issue came up during Sam & Max Season 1.
    InfamousDS wrote: »
    Did all of you PC people forget about the second platform which has a definitive size limit, preventing them from making it any better w/o making the game itself less good?
    For the PC version, higher-quality audio could be offered as an additional, optional download for those who really care about it, without impacting the Wii version at all. We can assume that higher quality versions of the samples already exist, since it's highly doubtful that the original studio recordings are compressed so badly. But it would take time to edit and package those (hence "resources", since Telltale is a small studio).
  • edited August 2008
    I know they can do that, but many of the arguments here is that it be put into the game permanently and not be an additional download.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't have a problem with the audio quality per se, but I noticed clipping and a few popping noises in some of Strong Bad's lines - and it's definitely not my audio hardware (Creative X-Fi Platinum) mucking up since those happened always at the same spots and turning down the voice volume in-game didn't help either...

So I guess those must have happened while recording...
  • edited August 2008
    All I know about the audio quality is that the Chapmans do the voices and thats all I need.;)
  • edited August 2008

Hey, the TV I always have my wii hooked up to was literally made in the 80's.You don't know what bad audio quality means.:cool:
  • edited August 2008
    I actually thought this thread would be PRAISING the audio quality compared to the Sam & Max games. I found that the compression was much less noticeable and I felt the voices sounded especially good, better than in most games, even. (To that end, I must point out that a lot of games probably use this type of voice compression, not just Telltale's downloadable games. It's probably just less noticeable when there's less dialogue and more explosions.)
  • edited September 2008
    I felt the voices sounded especially good, better than in most games, even.
    i disagree entirely. i didn't play the Sam and Max games, so going by what you said the sound must have been pretty awful in them.

but to bring things up to date, the audio fidelity in Strong Badia the Free is totally fine. looks like the Telltale folks paid attention. thanks, Telltale folks.
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, I've not had any sound issues beyond one or two clipping errors in the intro - which I haven't tested to see if it resurfaced but it hasn't appeared anywhere else. I did notice the volume of the music was a little low during the Cave Girl Squad, because I couldn't seem to make it out, but that may have been due to... I don't know... it being Cave girls instead of Teen girls, and the whole "cave people had simpler music".

But I digress, if that's all that was wrong when I played the game in regards to audio, then I seriously don't see the problem. I'm reminded of people who complained about how the Incredible Hulk had poor graphics compared to the PS3 version. All I had to say to that was "be glad us on the PS2 could even play it."

And like someone else said, all that really matters to me in the voices is that the right people are doing them.
  • edited September 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    BUT, I do agree that at the end of the season, when (and if) they release the season on disc. The hard copy should contain higher quality audio, simply because download size is not an issue with hard copies.

Continuing to include the subpar audio in the hard copies is just wrong, and them not taking the time to perform the necessary updates makes me wonder if they even have the ability to record uncompressed sound at all :rolleyes: (but i know they do, and thats what makes it even more unprofessional... it makes them look just plain lazy).

The really frustrating thing about this is that it should be so freaking simple. Take your uncompressed speech files, pack them with decent-quality Vorbis like you do with the music and sound effects already, and replace the lame Speex-compressed files. It should only take a few hours to do an entire season. Odds are the engine can already handle different sound formats transparently. I see they're now using FMOD for Strong Bad, so I *know* that's true.

Oh, and the other frustrating part is that TTG suggested they might do it for the Sam & Max Season 1 DVD. They didn't. And they still haven't explained why, though if pressed I expect you'll get an answer along the lines of "well, only a few people are actually on the forums complaining about it." Nevermind that it's the only technical issue people complain about. And that it would be ridiculously easy to satisfy those people.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Till wrote: »
    Oh, and the other frustrating part is that TTG suggested they might do it for the Sam & Max Season 1 DVD. They didn't. And they still haven't explained why, though if pressed I expect you'll get an answer along the lines of "well, only a few people are actually on the forums complaining about it." Nevermind that it's the only technical issue people complain about. And that it would be ridiculously easy to satisfy those people.

We've said it quite a few times, actually. Unfortunately, with both Seasons One and Two, over the months of production, the master audio database of wav files, and the database of compressed dialog files ended up slowly drifting out of sync, where some words would get trimmed from a file, or some processing would be done to voice coming through a microphone, but because it was often done last minute during pre-ship clean-up, someone would quickly make the change and compress the file, but not ensure that the change was reflected in the master database as well. This meant that if we went back to the master files, we would be introducing a lot of hard(er than you think) to track down bugs.

With Strong Bad, now that we have moved to FMOD, we have changed how our audio pipeline works so that there aren't two separate databases to go out of sync, so we could, in the future, pack up the game with higher quality voice at some point if we desired. We'll see! Not only do you just "flip a switch" and send it off into the world, or whatever people think you do. Once you recompress and repack all of the audio, you'd want to (you'd have to) have the QA department re-test every line of dialog in the entire five- or six-episode season. That's not an instant process by any means.

So, as before, it's something we'd like to do and have talked about a lot, and we have improved our toolset towards that goal, but we're still not making any guarantees, despite how easy it sounds in a forum post.

PS: Your hyperbole doesn't do you much credit, man. Saying it's the "only technical issue people complain about" is patently false (as much as I wish people only had one issue to complain about, sadly that is not the case -- they have found dozens or hundreds over the past four years). Also saying that we have never explained why the DVD went out with compressed audio, when the boards, which are well trafficked by frankly very forthcoming Telltale employees, have been around for four years and you have posted on them seven times, doesn't lend that remark the air of a well-researched factual statement.
  • edited July 2009
    I just used the "Get free episode of your choise" that came with purchase of TOMI preorder to get Strong Bad's first episode. I like the humor and the overall game so far but the audio quality is horrible, Homestar specially sounds bad, this game makes Monkey Island sound like some high definition stuff and it ain't perfect either.

Sad to say this but the bad audio quality alone turns me away from buying more Telltale games. :(

(and you don't need to start telling me about bandwidth stuff, I've heard about that 1000 times allready)
  • edited July 2009

Yeah, it's better then normal for homestarrunner.com. (Who, I've heard, use a microphone in their parent's basement.)
  • edited July 2009
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    Yeah, it's better then normal for homestarrunner.com. (Who, I've heard, use a microphone in their parent's basement.)

Sure that's how they started, but they've long since moved up (and moved out) :p
  • edited July 2009
    SBCG4AP is the one TTG game where the sound didn't bug me (can't speak for ToMI yet though). In Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit I cringe every time any character with a remotely high pitch voice has to make an "s" sound.
  • edited July 2009
    To be honest Strongbad has the finest audio quality (I've got the PC version) of any Telltale game, Sam and Max is not so good, Wallace and Gromit is terrible but thankfully Monkey Island is OK, not great, just OK.
  • edited July 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Sure that's how they started, but they've long since moved up (and moved out) :p
    The Brothers Chaps have stated multiple times that they never produced cartoons in their parents' basement. They were working in an apartment in the early days.
  • edited July 2009
    The Brothers Chaps have stated multiple times that they never produced cartoons in their parents' basement. They were working in an apartment in the early days.

Congrats on your first post. It was a joke.
  • edited August 2009

I don't know why people keep complaining about this!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.