So how "true" to hit the road should telltale be?

edited January 2006 in Sam & Max
Lets face it, it's a tough game to follow up ;) Do you think the new game should play exactly as hit the road? Inventory, moving to locations, etc I imagine talking to characters would be the same, actually probably better judging from Bone, and there would be some cool mini games as well. There needs to be some absurd puzzles though.. What do you think? What from hit the road do you think has to be part of the new game?

Comments

• edited November 2005
    I'd love it to have all the best elements from the comics/Hit the Road/cartoon. However, in my mind the most important part is:

The relationship between Sam and Max

If the dialogue doesn't make us believe these guys are best buddies after about 3 lines then it's a failure. The thing I loved most about Hit the Road was the way the two main characters interacted with each other. Sam uses Max like a tool but he loves him like his good pal.

Such good friends, such insane happenings :)
  • edited November 2005
    I just hope they don't make it anywhere near as easy as Bone. Bone can hardly be called an adventure game really, it's more like an interactive story for children :p
    But it looks nice enough and has good enough voice acting (except for the horrible women), so those are things I hope will be put into Sam'n Max. I only hope they change the gameplay a lot - out with the minigames and in with challenging puzzles and worlds to explore! And I also want the option to examine everything, not only stuff you need.
    That was missing from Bone, and that is very important in an adventure game I think.
  • edited November 2005
    I´d say a Sam & Max game would need at least one minigame. I mean who could ever forget the beloved Wak-a-Rat.
  • edited November 2005
    There were some great minigames in the cancelled Freelance Police including a great looking dance-off. As Purcell owns the story to that game, I'm hoping we'll see some elements/ideas from FP make an appearance in some form or another in the Telltale game(s).
  • edited November 2005
    I didn't really find the cartoon all that great compared to the game. I would like the new game to stay as true to the first one as possible. It will take some getting used to having character voices since I had the floppy version. (I think I played a demo with voices or maybe that was DOTT) As much as I enjoy the voice acting for games I think there is something to be said for the old adventure games when they were all just text. It is like if someone read a book to you or if you read it yourself. Giving a character the tone and voice you choose can make a huge difference. But enough talking about old adventure games for now. I'd love to see carbomb back. It was such a fun mini game.

ps. I remember going through that tunnel of love so many damn times before I figured out what I really needed to do.
  • edited November 2005
    I also agree that they really need to get the relatuonship between sam and max to be believable and funny. It should be very exciting to see what they have come up with.
  • edited November 2005
    It will take some getting used to having character voices since I had the floppy version. (I think I played a demo with voices or maybe that was DOTT) As much as I enjoy the voice acting for games I think there is something to be said for the old adventure games when they were all just text. It is like if someone read a book to you or if you read it yourself. Giving a character the tone and voice you choose can make a huge difference.

You needn't worry - the voice acting on Hit the Road was superb!

I guess there may be a subtitle / no voice option in the setup menu so you can play it retro-style if you prefer.
  • edited November 2005
    were the voices done by the same people in the cartoon? I think I remember someone saying they were.

on that note is the first sam & max game abandonware now? Even if it is not how illegal would it be for me to grab the voiced version? I've got the floppy one but haven't had a floppy drive for such a long time. actually I wonder if it will work on XP anyway..

it would be nice if telltale bundled sam & max 1 with sam & max 2 as a bonus.
  • edited November 2005
    were the voices done by the same people in the cartoon? I think I remember someone saying they were.
    Actually, the cartoon series voice actors were different from the computer game ones (Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson). I don't remember the names of the TV series actors.

it would be nice if telltale bundled sam & max 1 with sam & max 2 as a bonus
    Yes, and it would be nice if Telltale also bundled Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island games, Full Throttle, and all of LucasArts other games with the new Sam & Max episode. It would also be nice if Donald Trump named me in his will. But these things are not meant to be. Mostly because LucasArts would never consent to such a thing since they own the rights to those games including the original Sam & Max Hit the Road, but also because Trump is a selfish greed monkey who doesn't know who I am. Damn you, Trump!!!!
  • edited November 2005
    The voice actors for Hit The Road were brilliant as JP said.. That guy nailed max! exactly as I imagined in my head, it would be great to have them back, I jeard they made recordings for freelance police..
  • edited November 2005
    Bone 1 was great in graphics & sound, so I think the new S&M games will be rocking in art, animation, music and sound. I am sure they are going to call Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson back, I've read they also did the voices for the cancelled game.

What we need in a S&M game is....a game: we need the challenge we did not experience in Bone 1, more hotspots and freedom to move in 6-7 locations at once...otherwise it's not an adventure game, it's just a partially interactive cutscene.

Domenico (Italy)
  • edited November 2005
    The dog/bunny relationship is definately the most important thing I agree. If they nail that (and the voices) then they've got it made.

What I don't want to see is Max being stupid for the sake of it. He's a true psychotic, and should remain that way.

Look at the second season of Invader Zim, or what happened to the simpsons. They latched onto the hook of the series and then exploited it until it was dead. They really need to maintain the balance while still retaining its' own brand of wacky.

I'm sure Steve will be on to that one, no problems.
  • edited November 2005
    lets hope they use the actors from the game instead of the ones from the cartoon. assuming that the actors from the game are still alive.
  • edited November 2005
    In case they are dead we should better get our hands on a real, really big diamond and go back in time. The voices were perfect. A good voice can make me listen to the whole dialogue instead of just reading over it before the voice actor is done. Another example how top notch Lucasarts Adventures used to be, their voice acting talent was nothing short of great.
  • edited November 2005
    what I'm thinking about, is if it'll pick up from where Hit the Road left.
    Would it feel wierd if the world suddenly isn't "covered in trees"?

should the bigfoots make a cameo.

etc.
  • edited November 2005
    lets hope they use the actors from the game instead of the ones from the cartoon. assuming that the actors from the game are still alive.

They are. Heh.
  • edited November 2005
    what I'm thinking about, is if it'll pick up from where Hit the Road left.
    Would it feel wierd if the world suddenly isn't "covered in trees"?

should the bigfoots make a cameo.

etc.

oh yeah what characters from hit the road/or the comics would you like to see back?

I'd love to see Flint with a bigger role B-)
  • edited November 2005
    oh yeah what characters from hit the road/or the comics would you like to see back?

I'd love to see Flint with a bigger role B-)
    "Flint Paper is insane. I really respect that."
  • edited November 2005
    Well, I loved Hit the Road, but I expect Telltale (and Purcell) to take as much creative freedom as they want. Unlike with Freelance Police, which was apparently very much a Hit the Road Part 2, they really aren't confined to anything. Not that I suspect FP was all that confined, but let's just say that now that they're not working under the eyes of LucasArts they can be as "out there" as they want, always a good thing, and really something characters like Sam & Max thrive in. :D
  • edited November 2005
    That is one of the things I'm looking forward to in the Sam & Max episodes. They aren't confined to any set storyline, like the Bone series. That puts a limit on what kind of puzzles or jokes or whatever can be put in the game. The S&M episodes are going to have more freedom so Telltale can have more fun with them. Not that they aren't having fun with Bone. You know what I mean.
  • edited November 2005
    I agree.
    I liked the original for the humor, and it wasnt until a few months ago that I found out the game was making fun of America...

EVEN BETTER!!!! STUPID AMERICANS!!!!

LOL, IM DISSING MYSELF!!

Im just kidding...
  • edited December 2005
    I think they should still make fun of my good country the USA! Make it up to date though...

Other wise, its just a rerun...
  • edited December 2005
    The games should, in my opinion, feel similar to HTR in terms of gameplay, as that was one of the greatest adventures of all time, and have the same awesome voice actors. It should be grittier like the comics, though, which is something Telltalte has announced that they're aiming for. They will also need a story arc that ties all of the games together, to make them more interesting to play and to give players a greater reason to buy the next game.

Also, it has been announced that Sam and Max will be harder than Bone, as it is for the adventure gamer crowd instead of the comic-fan-who-has-never-played-a-game-before crowd. And yeah, it needs some good minigames and great dialogue, but that goes without saying.

And there needs to be a Mac version :D
  • edited December 2005
    The games should, in my opinion, feel similar to HTR in terms of gameplay, as that was one of the greatest adventures of all time, and have the same awesome voice actors. It should be grittier like the comics, though, which is something Telltalte has announced that they're aiming for. They will also need a story arc that ties all of the games together, to make them more interesting to play and to give players a greater reason to buy the next game.

Also, it has been announced that Sam and Max will be harder than Bone, as it is for the adventure gamer crowd instead of the comic-fan-who-has-never-played-a-game-before crowd. And yeah, it needs some good minigames and great dialogue, but that goes without saying.

I agree with all these points! I don't really care about the minigames though, just give me some good puzzles and don't tell me what to do when I hover my mouse over an object! Give me the option to do trial and error! I want to try to pick up a piano, even if it's too heavy! I want to try to talk to a wall, even if that doesn't make sense! When the game automatically picks your action when you hover over an object, you're not really figuring out anything more than just going through the motions.
  • edited January 2006
    I hope the game pokes fun at lucas arts and their cancelled games...

The Hit The Road voice actors did FP, so I don't know why they wouldn't wanna do this one.
    You've all seen the trailer to FP right?
  • edited January 2006

Maybe as a veiled joke, but any straight out obvious fun poking would just be immature and unprofessional.
  • edited January 2006

Maybe as a veiled joke, but any straight out obvious fun poking would just be immature and unprofessional.

Yea, something that would only make sense to people aware of the situation
  • edited January 2006
    If there are minigames, make 'em not part of the actual game but just sort of there for when you're getting annoyed with some random puzzle. Or stick some added bonuses in the game (Like... short little video clips or mini comics or something) that can only be unlocked by doing well in the bonus games. That would be *cough* kick ass. Or at the very least, if they have to be integrated into some sort of puzzle make them easy to complete for the puzzle then crank up the difficulty every time afterwards.

As for grittier: I hope you mean random little bits of (not graphic) violence as seen in the comics and not true 'gritty'. I'm sick of grittiness in games. When will developers realise I play a game for the fun gameplay or a really gripping story/atmosphere so I play for 5 hours without noticing and only realise it's midnight when I decide to go to the toilet and notice how dark it is. When they made Prince of Persia all dark and bloody I was real annoyed. They sucked all the goodness out of Sands of Time then took the remains and dumped them into Warrior Within then pumped in some 'Adult themes' (If you could call the cliched junk that). I know Sam and Max wont go anywhere near that degree of grit but nonetheless, Telltale, please try to not go over the top.
  • edited January 2006
    I'm not worried there, I'm sure Telltale won't allow the game's art style to go into super-realistic realm. I think they said the idea is to move a tad away from the candy-colored Hit the Road and a little more toward the comic's tone. I'm sure it will still be very cartoony, to do otherwise wouldn't be good. I think they just mean, like, look at the difference between one of the comic panels and a screenshot from the game. The comic is more subdued, darker, and I think that's the approach they're taking.

I like the idea of unnecessary minigames that you can play whenever you want a la Hit the Road, but I also wouldn't mind one or two like "Wak-a-Rat," which was necessary but also very easy and fun. I think the minigames in Freelance Police, or at least some of them, were both necessary and replayable later.
  • edited January 2006
    The art in Hit the Road had this stretched, zany feel to it. There weren't alot of straight edges in things, and it made you feel that there was something seriously wrong with the Sam and Max world (also in Day of the Tentacle). I like the art style that they used in HtR. It's that classic Lucasarts adventure game golden era stuff, and in my opinion it does seem to line up with the comics' tone.

All in all, everyone has something(s) that they feel that the game should have or not have, and I agree, there are definetely some things that ttg should not take any artistic liberties with, namely toning the humor down into that washed out drivel like the cartoons and dumbing down the adventure game mechanics. But, if they made it just like Hit the Road or the comics with this and that little thing, they'd just be regurgitating the some old stuff. I'm looking forward to some new and creative things that'll be unique to this game, without violating the sanctity of the immutable, work that is HtR though ;)
  • edited January 2006
    I think they had an updated version of wak-a-rat in the LucasArts Freelance Police game.. I think I read something like that..

If they had the same adventure game mechanics as hit the road as in talk/use/walk etc etc and the inventory of items It would be awesome.. the thing is you can't play that basic core gameplay out..they only did it once 13 years ago! What drove hit the road forward was the humor.. You would want to get to the next location just to hear the next joke.. Hit The Road was the funniest game I've ever played, thats what I'm most looking forward too.. At the very start you are using Max to get their orders out of a cat! that set the tone of the game right there.. I hope they have something similar to start of the new adventure :D
  • edited January 2006
    Minigames are one of the greatest parts of Hit The Road, and in my opinion one of the main things that set it apart from most other adventure games.

"You squashed my squad car!"
    "You destroyed my Desoto!"
    "You hurt my hearse!"

Heee... Good times...
  • edited January 2006
    I think they had an updated version of wak-a-rat in the LucasArts Freelance Police game.. I think I read something like that..
    An interview mentioned a minigame called Bak-a-Rat.
  • edited January 2006
    I agree about HtR being one of the funniest games ever made, but the thing that makes HtR and most of the other old LucasArts games great is the amount of stuff they put in that was unecissary to the plot or game. Stuff like the Snucky Anvils, or genuine Snucky's fly swatters that you could look at to get jokes. Or, another example, they way that if you repeatedly try to pick up an unobtainable object you can make Sam get all depressed. And, allthough this applies more to other LucasArts titles where you have an actual option, the amount of humorous but ultimately pointless dialogue you can engage in.

It is incredibly hard to create an adventure game with replay value, but LucasArts managed it. If Telltale can follow Hit the Road's example like this, it should be one great game...
  • edited January 2006
    I totally agree with that onedollar a lot was put into that game..replaying it you would always pick up new jokes and things you missed the first time.. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.