Homestar character design appreciation thread

To take the focus off my posts about the bugs I've encountered with SBCG4AP, here's a post dedicated to awesome.

With or without eyes, all the HR characters look totally sweet in the Telltale engine, with the rendering and animation of Homestar being especially brilliant. I love how expressive and fluidly animated Homestar is in the game compared to his normal Flash style. That little satisfied smirk he does is a great extension of his character - Homestar really is smarter than he seems. ;) I love watching his various random actions (stretching, running in place, etc.) I just wanna give him a huge hug. Friggin' adorable.

Great jorb, Telltale. :)

Comments

• edited August 2008
    you're totally right. most characters look amazing. the best matches are bubs, marzipan and coach z, i think. the shape of homestar's head looks somewhat different to the original, but the additional facial features make up for it. pom pom looks a bit odd, the first time you see him from the side, but that's just the way he is shaped. the cheat however doesn't really look like the cheat, but more like the "kick the cheat"-plushy. he should be more edgy, like strong mad.
    apart from that, the characters are really well done.
  • edited August 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    ...the cheat however doesn't really look like the cheat, but more like the "kick the cheat"-plushy. he should be more edgy, like strong mad. ...

Maybe The Cheat's model was based on that.

The peeps of FCUSA look awesome, and I'm sure that even people who knew nothing about Homestar cartoons would see them the way I do, too!
  • edited August 2008
    Definite awesomeness all around. Although Bubs looks a bit odd in 3D.
  • edited August 2008
    Bubs' mouth looks ever so slightly odd, but thats OK.
    I just wanna see Homsar.
  • edited August 2008
    It occurs to me that we haven't seen Homsar in 3-D yet. Wonder how that'll turn out.
  • edited August 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    It occurs to me that we haven't seen Homsar in 3-D yet. Wonder how that'll turn out.

I'd imagine they'll skip straight past 3-D and on to 14- or possibly 15-D. Homsar cannot be contained by simply 3.
  • edited August 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    the cheat however doesn't really look like the cheat, but more like the "kick the cheat"-plushy. he should be more edgy, like strong mad.
    I think The Cheat has lost his edge.
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail197.html
  • edited August 2008
    I think Homestar and The Cheat are the ones that are furthest from the cartoons, but nailing them dead-on is near impossible. Actually, I sort of wonder if Telltale could go for a slightly different style of Homestar that doesn't try to imitate his Flash counterpart, but still looks strongly like the "character" that we're used to.
  • edited August 2008
    I actually thought Homestar did very well. My biggest problems were with Bubs's arms and mouth, the Cheat, and the Lappy. Something about typing on the Lappy seemed off, and I can't quite place it.
  • edited August 2008
    I thought Homestar was spot-on, although seeing him smile always looked a little weird. I think the cartoon Homestar mostly smiles with his eyes.

I still think Bubs's mouth should've been perfectly flat and always facing the camera, but maybe that didn't work out.

Overall I was really impressed. After playing for a while you stop thinking about the 3D.
  • edited August 2008
    bub's mouth? hmm...yeah, i noticed too, that his mouth is actually a semi-transparent second layer over his head...or something. i think, this is only visible on close-ups and also, this is like i did some facial animation in my last 3d cartoon, so it's perfectly cool with me. that's just the way bub's mouth is, it's a piece of teeth, that's moving on the face. would the mouth layer be closer to the rest of the head, you might risk that they touch each other during animation and that would look really bad. also, making it flat just won't work, since his head is round. you would need to have that flat mouth always float between the face and the camera...but that would eventually be visible and also look odd.
  • edited August 2008
    I can't say I'm a fan of The Cheat's weird hunchback, but everyone else looks fantastic. Marzipan especially, and she's my least favourite character.
  • edited August 2008
    not a problem to be found for me, I ENJOY THE CHARACTER DESIGN!!!! can't wait to see what Homsar will look like ;D
  • yS_yS_
    edited August 2008
    I agree, The Cheat is like... weird... or something, but that's ok: I'm impressed with your work guys, translating these characters to 3D models seems to be very difficult.
  • edited October 2008
    I've seen Homsar in 3-D. He animates just like Homestar. I liked Homsar better in 2-D flash cartoon form. How about you?

Salad Fingers is just as depressing and creepy as Coach Z. It's true. Look him up.
  • edited October 2008
    Nuroticat wrote: »
    To take the focus off my posts about the bugs I've encountered with SBCG4AP, here's a post dedicated to awesome.

With or without eyes, all the HR characters look totally sweet in the Telltale engine, with the rendering and animation of Homestar being especially brilliant. I love how expressive and fluidly animated Homestar is in the game compared to his normal Flash style. That little satisfied smirk he does is a great extension of his character - Homestar really is smarter than he seems. ;) I love watching his various random actions (stretching, running in place, etc.) I just wanna give him a huge hug. Friggin' adorable.

Great jorb, Telltale. :)

I actually think Homestar's character model is the most flawed.He look's a little too smart, and there's just something that seriously distinguishes him from the flash version.Other than that I think the character models are done really well.
  • edited October 2008
    they all seem to have minor differences, but that's to be expected because there is no definitive 380 degree view of their bodies in the flash cartoons because the camera is always at the same perspective and (to my knowledge) that TBC have created (with the exception of what we have now)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.