My overall opinion (Not that you care)...

It was a pretty decent game, but lacking in areas.

When the humor was good, it was very good. When the humor failed, it usually felt like there wasn't any effort going on behind the joke.

Places where I felt the humor failed? The drive-thru whale. That thing is usually hilarious, but giving it some recycled lines from the Homestar Runner games wasn't the way to go. Plus, some of SB's comments on various hotspots make me question why they bothered to make him comment on those items.

Still the mini-games were all great. On that front, the game was all A+ (or maybe even AB+).

A great first effort, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement. At very least I wouldn't mind a tad more background music, which I felt was a bit lacking.

Kevin

Comments

• langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately the game has to fit under 40mb for the WiiWare service, so more background music is probably not feasible.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't care about anyone's opinion of overalls, I'm still gonna wear 'em.
  • edited August 2008
    langley wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately the game has to fit under 40mb for the WiiWare service, so more background music is probably not feasible.

Even if it was in a Midi-like format? Beeps & Bloops similar to the old NES?

Kevin
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    That was actually considered at one point. But it was going to take a fair bit of time to get our engine to support MIDI. With an episodic schedule, we need all the time we can get! :)
  • edited August 2008
    langley wrote: »
    That was actually considered at one point. But it was going to take a fair bit of time to get our engine to support MIDI. With an episodic schedule, we need all the time we can get! :)

Bah. You just need to go without eating, sleeping & potty breaks, and you'd have plenty of time.

If you can fit this into future episodes, it'd be a great addition. If not, and you do a second season, such an addition would be a clear must.

Kevin
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    We've already given up potty breaks. Every employee gets their own jar.
  • edited August 2008
    KevinSig wrote: »
    Places where I felt the humor failed? The drive-thru whale. That thing is usually hilarious, but giving it some recycled lines from the Homestar Runner games wasn't the way to go.

That's supposed to be a hint system."Sever your head please, it's the greatest day." was a hint.And besides theat and the "whale zen", weren't those other parts hilarious?"When the End Times come, we will all dance the Conga of the Apocalypse" was a hilarious hint, right?
    HoboStew wrote: »

So, who gets the full jars?(DO'H! Stupid question, it's the Poopsmith, right?):p
  • edited August 2008
    How about being able to add our own music once you've installed the game? I'm not quite sure if this would work, but doesn't hurt to ask.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    You can turn the music off in the settings and play whatever music you want to hear on your stereo.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited August 2008
    HoboStew wrote: »

You got a jar?!! :eek:
  • edited September 2008
    Honestly, for the limited spacing available on the game, the sounds sound great. Sorry, that was a bad pun, but I couldn't avoid it. :p

Anyways, I'd say steer clear of midi-tracks, because it just doesn't feel right. Walking into an area in the game, and hearing music from something related to that in the cartoons/emails/show was really cool. It was easilly identifiable, and I've noticed that sometimes midi versions just don't do the original justice. And for episodic gaming where you only have a handful of places to visit, I don't think you need all that many songs anyways.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Honestly, for the limited spacing available on the game, the sounds sound great. Sorry, that was a bad pun, but I couldn't avoid it. :p

Anyways, I'd say steer clear of midi-tracks, because it just doesn't feel right. Walking into an area in the game, and hearing music from something related to that in the cartoons/emails/show was really cool. It was easilly identifiable, and I've noticed that sometimes midi versions just don't do the original justice. And for episodic gaming where you only have a handful of places to visit, I don't think you need all that many songs anyways.

I bet the Casio and other synth sounds the Chapmans use so often could be replicated pretty precisely with various MIDI tones and patches... they're not exactly complex sounds, technically. The issues surrounding using MIDI were technological, and time related: We hadn't done MIDI before and didn't have the time to adequately do MIDI support justice. Plus despite much of the Homestar Runner music sounding like it was made in an old MIDI sequencer, more often than not it was just the Chapmans playing their old Casio keyboards straight into their computer's mic in, with no notation, which means that if we wanted to do a MIDI version of a classic track, Jared Emerson Johnson or someone else would have to go and reverse engineer it and do a fresh MIDI arrangement, which isn't the sort of time anyone was rolling in or had scheduled.

Someday it might be a good solution for certain parts of a game set in the Homestar universe and aesthetic, but probably not in SBCG4AP.
  • edited September 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    You got a jar?!! :eek:

That made my day.

For some reason, games made from cartoons always tend to recycle lines. I was rather disappointed that SBCG4AP did this a few times with the blubbo whale and the rave switch. Restated humor is never as funny as the original and I'm glad you guys have been avoiding it for the most part.
  • edited September 2008
    I've heard there's this cool adaptive MUSic system that could work :)
  • edited September 2008
    aMUSE?

That would be awesome :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.