The hardest game you have played.

edited August 2008 in General Chat
Me, I would definitely have to say Ghosts N' Goblins for the NES. If you gave me a nickel for every time I died, I would be the richest man on Earth.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    About an hour ago I started playing Bioshock for the 360.It can be really hard sometimes.
  • edited August 2008
    Probaby Batman for the NES.
  • edited August 2008
    I have two for two different things.The free ware one is I Wanna Be The Guy.The NES one is Ghost & Goblins.Besides the migraine inducing difficulty, both are pretty good.
  • edited August 2008
    I have two for two different things.The free ware one is I Wanna Be The Guy.The NES one is Ghost & Goblins.Besides the migraine inducing difficulty, both are pretty good.
    Yeah, in spite of the difficulty, they are both addicting.
  • edited August 2008
    Another World was pretty hard, especially if you don't realize how saving works and keep missing something important.
  • edited August 2008
    Space Quest 1, EGA.

"Didn't know about secret death timer that we don't tell you about? DEATH."

"Play with the slot machine? Pretty good chance of RANDOM DEATH."

"Last five minutes of the game!

....Oh, you missed something in the first two minutes?

You're SO DEAD."

And many, many more.
  • edited August 2008
    Ghost and goblins was annoyingly hard. Ninja Gaiden however is one my favorite games despite being one of the hardest ever, that and Devil May Cry 3. (I'm probably the only one who didn't find GH3 hard or the drums on rock band as hard.)
  • edited August 2008
    Bobeo wrote: »
    (I'm probably the only one who didn't find GH3 hard or the drums on rock band as hard.)

I've had no problems with the drums on Rock Band. Well, there are difficult songs, but a little practice and it's all doable. Amusingly, I find Rock Band drums to be more difficult to play than playing a song with an actual drum kit. :)

Most difficult game...well, nothing in the last, say, fifteen years has been all that difficult, or at least enough to be noteworthy. I think Ghosts 'n Goblins may end up being my nomination as well. Another World (or Out Of This World, as I played it) was definitely a tough one, too.
  • edited August 2008
    Space Quest 1, EGA.

"Didn't know about secret death timer that we don't tell you about? DEATH."

"Play with the slot machine? Pretty good chance of RANDOM DEATH."

"Last five minutes of the game!

....Oh, you missed something in the first two minutes?

You're SO DEAD."

And many, many more.

I find all Sierra's games ridiculously hard (Kq games and SQ games).
  • edited August 2008
    Botap wrote: »
    Most difficult game...well, nothing in the last, say, fifteen years has been all that difficult, or at least enough to be noteworthy.

What about the Ninja Gaiden remake? Especially on Master Ninja difficulty. :D
  • edited August 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    What about the Ninja Gaiden remake? Especially on Master Ninja difficulty. :D

or two on master ninja
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah there have been tons of hard games in the past 15 years. They just don't annoy you as much (or turn you away from the game) as those on the older systems.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah there have been tons of hard games in the past 15 years. They just don't annoy you as much (or turn you away from the game) as those on the older systems.

ie manic miner
  • edited August 2008
    I will have to say Clock Tower 3 because it is tough trying to hide from a huge psychopath wielding a big sledge hammer.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't really count the games that have multiple difficulty levels. Because, by the same token, they can be easy. I'm talking about games like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game. Now there was difficulty! :)

Sierra games never posed inordinate difficulty for me. They were just the right amount. Though Space Quest was infamous for letting you bypass objects that weren't crucial until the final 5% of the game. :D
  • edited August 2008
    Botap wrote: »
    I don't really count the games that have multiple difficulty levels. Because, by the same token, they can be easy. I'm talking about games like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game. Now there was difficulty! :)

Sierra games never posed inordinate difficulty for me. They were just the right amount. Though Space Quest was infamous for letting you bypass objects that weren't crucial until the final 5% of the game. :D

Well Ninja Gaiden is hard and so is Devil May Cry on easy. Also no one really considers themselves as beating Guitar Hero/Rock Band unless you do it on expert.
  • edited August 2008
    Also no one really considers themselves as beating Guitar Hero/Rock Band unless you do it on expert.

I beat the first two guitar heros on expert.I got stuck in GH 3 on "Raining Blood".I never finished it, cause that song sucked anyway.
  • edited August 2008
    Well Ninja Gaiden is hard and so is Devil May Cry on easy.

Quite right. Even Ninja Dog difficulty is a bitch to beat. But it's always fair, so I don't mind the agony of playing it.

Ghosts n' Goblins on the other hand... "fair" is not the word that comes to mind. :p
  • edited August 2008
    I beat the first two guitar heros on expert.I got stuck in GH 3 on "Raining Blood".I never finished it, cause that song sucked anyway.

Blasphemy! :eek:

When I first played GTA: Vice City I knew I liked the game when I heard Raining Blood on the radio. :)
  • edited August 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Quite right. Even Ninja Dog difficulty is a bitch to beat. But it's always fair, so I don't mind the agony of playing it.

Ghosts n' Goblins on the other hand... "fair" is not the word that comes to mind. :p

And Ninja Dog difficulty wasn't put in till Ninja Gaiden Black because people complained about the difficulty. So I had to beat it on the normal difficulty.
  • edited August 2008
    - battletoads (has made it on some interweb lists as one of the hardest and I tend to agree)

- ninja turtles (nes) (another one that has made the list on some sites and again it was really hard)

-magician (nes) This game was super hard when I was a kid. I don't know what it would be like now
  • edited August 2008
    And Ninja Dog difficulty wasn't put in till Ninja Gaiden Black because people complained about the difficulty. So I had to beat it on the normal difficulty.

Yup yup. Similar to what happened with DMC3.
  • edited August 2008
    I love the Metroid Prime games for game cube and wii , but all the time, you'd go through a door, and there'd be like, 6 of those ghost things (in 2) and you wouldn't have the right ammo to kill them all, so you went rambo style and used what you had, and then finally when you kill them and have 1 HP left, you find that you don't have the right gun to open the door! that happened to me ALL the time!
  • edited August 2008
    Castlevania: The Adventure on Gameboy.
  • edited August 2008
    I love the Metroid Prime games for game cube and wii , but all the time, you'd go through a door, and there'd be like, 6 of those ghost things (in 2) and you wouldn't have the right ammo to kill them all, so you went rambo style and used what you had, and then finally when you kill them and have 1 HP left, you find that you don't have the right gun to open the door! that happened to me ALL the time!
    Yeah, that game had a problem with minibosses becoming regular enemies immediately after their first appearance.
  • edited August 2008
    Bonk's REvenge.Before you gamers call me a moron, do you remember that last stage?
  • edited August 2008
    Has anyone here played Through The Fire and Flames on expert on Guitar Hero 3?
  • edited August 2008

I have and I still think buckethead is harder.
  • edited August 2008
    Silent Hill 2. Being cornered by five zombie nurses and survive a twisted maze while being hunted by Pyramid Head is enough to drive you insane!
  • edited August 2008
    I think there are only like 3 people who can do that besides the programmers.
    I have and I still think buckethead is harder.

I've never played through fire and flames, but it probably doesn't get much harder than buckethead.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't remember the name of the game, but a Game Boy game where you were a two-legged creature climbing a tower with a time limit, hazards and monsters was INSANELY hard. I never managed to beat the game, despite many, many tries.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't understand this little gem isn't mentioned yet:

wow1.jpg

That doesn't work.
  • edited August 2008
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    I find all Sierra's games ridiculously hard (Kq games and SQ games).

Mostly I find all of Sierra's old adventure games just plain ridiculous.
  • edited August 2008
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    I don't understand this little gem isn't mentioned yet:

wow1.jpg

That doesn't work.

Discworld wasn't very difficult. Outrageously enjoyable, but not that difficult. I found The Dig to be a tougher game, personally.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd say the hardest game for me has been Unlimited Saga. The mechanics still confuse me to no end, and I've never even gotten close to beating it before I give up and start all over again.

That and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I never got the Babel fish.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.