Can't mention "real" games?

I noticed in Homestar Ruiner that in situations where in the cartoons various videogames would be mentioned in running gags (such as the floppy disk container and Strong Bad mumbling SNES game titles in his sleep) in the game only Videlectrix games are mentioned (Rhino Feeder, Peasant's Quest, etc.) and also the posters in Strong Sad and Strong Bad's rooms are missing. Is this a copyright issue? I would have thought so, but all of the above mentioned things made it into the DVDs without any problems.

It doesn't really bother me, I was just curious.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    i think it is, i was actually noticing the same thing so lets hear it from Telltale
  • edited August 2008
    Well, to be exact, the name of a video game (or song or movie or whatever) is not copyrighted. It's trademarked. If I'm not mistaken, that just means you need to get the approval of the trademark holder before you use it. Normally I imagine this wouldn't be a problem, but because Telltale puts these games together so fast, it would probably take time that they wouldn't have.
  • edited August 2008
    I am surprised, though, that they can't use the names of Nintendo games(Super...Super Punch-Out...), considering Nintendo is their partner in this whole deal. At least allow the Nintendo names in the Nintendo game, right? But whatever, it's not like it's a big deal or anything.

I didn't even notice it when it came to the Peasant's Quest game disk, because it's my favorite game on the site and it was in the Floppy Disk Container before. I just wanted to rip that disk out of there and pop it in the Lappy! ^_^
  • edited August 2008
    i don't know, but i think they could have used some real names, but they didn't do it, because it might have meant spending some extra time and resources.
    the way it is now, ttg doesn't need to worry and can concentrate on making further episodes.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I am surprised, though, that they can't use the names of Nintendo games(Super...Super Punch-Out...), considering Nintendo is their partner in this whole deal.

Nintendo is helping us out by supporting the launch of the game on WiiWare because they believe in the title, but SBCG4AP isn't officially associated with Nintendo. Nintendo only allows their own games to directly make reference to other Nintendo titles.

Strong Sad's posters were taken down for legal reasons, yes.
  • edited August 2008
    The real question is when is Strong Sad gonna get off his pasty white butt and fix Trogdor so I can play it!
  • edited August 2008
    Not in this thread, it isn't.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.