"Robotnik" vs "Eggman"

edited September 2008 in General Chat
sorry to get back off topic again, but i've been gone a while and would like to reply with this:

any game where (at least, in the US) robotnik is called eggman is downright AWFUL. there hasn't been a truly good sonic game since sonic & knuckles.

in my opinion, anyway.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    nathew wrote: »
    sorry to get back off topic again, but i've been gone a while and would like to reply with this:

any game where (at least, in the US) robotnik is called eggman is downright AWFUL. there hasn't been a truly good sonic game since sonic & knuckles.

in my opinion, anyway.

Well, Sonic and th Secret Rings was good.
  • edited August 2008

Yeah, it's fun yet it's really hard to make the dude back up.
  • edited August 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's fun yet it's really hard to make the dude back up.

For me it's not hard, but slow.REALLY SLOW.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I moved this stuff into its own thread.

And I agree, "Eggman" is a sad name. I don't particularly care if he was called that in Japan. It's the same thing with renaming Princess Toadstool to "Peach." Weak sauce, I say.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, now this is a thread, I have a question.What happened to these guys?Wait, this has nothing to do with my question, but why the crap do I get pictures of bowser when I search "Robotnik's Henchmen"?
    260px-C-aosth2.jpg
  • edited August 2008
    Well, now this is a thread, I have a question.What happened to these guys?Wait, this has nothing to do with my question, but why the crap do I get pictures of bowser when I search "Robotnik's Henchmen"?
    260px-C-aosth2.jpg

I love the duo of that rooster robot and... the other thing. The thing with the drill nose and treads. I could never remember their names, sadly. They were my favorite characters in the whole series, though. For some reason I adored the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but couldn't stand any other Sonic show...
  • edited August 2008
    I could never remember their names, sadly.
    Sleet and Dingo?
  • edited August 2008
    Scratch and Grounder.
  • edited August 2008
    Robotnik is definitely the best name. And Scratch and Grounder were awesome.
    For some reason I adored the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but couldn't stand any other Sonic show...

Ditto! The others were way too serious. SatAM is okay, but Sonic Underground and X are just terrible.
  • edited August 2008
    Scratch and Grounder.
    Whoops, I used the wrong animated series.
  • edited August 2008
    Eggman?!? Really?!?

:|

That's the most pathetic bad-guy name ever. Even worse than...

No, wait. It is the worst bad-guy name ever.
  • edited August 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Ditto! The others were way too serious. SatAM is okay, but Sonic Underground and X are just terrible.
    I think Sonic X was much better before 4kids had a go at translating and obliterating the old soundtrack.

I personally liked Sonic Adventure, though...nothing can beat S3&K, even if all the new games were masterpieces.
  • edited August 2008
    It was only recently that I actually found out he was also called Eggman, when I did I was like WTF?! That's Robotnik! I even had to tell my other brother that. So I grew up with Robotnik, therefore to me, it's better.
  • edited August 2008
    eggman- sounds like a restaurant name. and end boss names are supposed to be intimidating- bowser, ganondorf. but eggm'n?
  • edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure the robot henchmen were invented purely by american, non-canon cartoon writers. I'm pretty sure that show never saw the light of day in Japan.

I'm usually the kind of person to think that changes from the original are a BAD thing, but Robotnik...is actually better. I mean, he uses ROBOTS. I might be biased because this is how I grew up knowing him and the Sonic games started sucking soon after he got the name Eggman in the US, but I do prefer Robotnik as a name.
  • edited August 2008
    Now, see, I kind of come at this from a different angle, because my first Sonic game was SA2:B on the GameCube. Actually, it was one of the first games I ever really sat down and played through. I like the SA games (although all the other 3D games that aren't Secret Rings suck) despite some of their flaws (Go to hell, Big!), and Eggman has always been Eggman to me.
  • edited August 2008
    I'll start calling Robotnik eggman when they start calling Sonic spikey face.
  • edited August 2008

It was mediocre at best. the main thing it had going for it was that it wasn't a horrible abomination like most other post-Genesis Sonic games, so people were like "oh shit, a good sonic game!" but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't really that great.

Sonic Advance 1 was tolerable, though immensely repetitive and Sonic Rush was pretty good. All the other 2D ones suffer from either lack of actual platforming or overly-frustrating platforming. 3D ones have mostly suffered from being terrible (I never played Sonic Adventure 1 but I heard it's okay).

Also in an attempt to stay on topic, Eggman is indeed a terrible name. :(
  • edited August 2008
    mikew wrote: »
    Also in an attempt to stay on topic, Eggman is indeed a terrible name. :(

Aye, it's like calling Sam and Max as "Rabid Dog and Bunnyman"...

Oh, wait...
  • edited August 2008
    Sleet and Dingo?

Egh. Didn't think anyone but me remembered that (or actually admitted to knowing it!) Sonic Underground was an...interesting concept, to put it lightly. The fact Jaleel White voiced all three hedgehogs (even the female one...) was just really...really...cheap. x3
  • edited August 2008
    Actually, I think that one sonic game was good when they started calling the dude eggman. After that, sonic went downhill.
  • edited August 2008
    I actually think Sonic Adventure was great, but only if you played as either Sonic, Knuckles, or Tails.

And after that, there were no more good Sonic games.
  • edited August 2008
    I actually think Sonic Adventure was great, but only if you played as either Sonic, Knuckles, or Tails.

You forget Sonic Rush, its sequel, and I personally really liked Secret Rings.
  • edited August 2008

I wasn't too thrilled with Sonic Adventure II. Heh. To each one's own.
  • edited August 2008

True since that is the game I was referrin to in that it was the game when they started calling robotik eggman.
  • edited August 2008
    I wasn't too thrilled with Sonic Adventure II. Heh. To each one's own.
    There is one department in which SA2 will always defeat SA1, hands down:
    NO BIG THE FARKING CAT.
  • edited September 2008
    wow, i wasn't aware i was awarded a thread out of this.

sonic rush was okayish, but secret rings was downright awful. the crappy music by dudes with tattoos and soulpatches, and the horrible story/controls. eugh.
  • edited September 2008
    I never saw the appeal to sonic games.The controll just seems a little too loose when compared to games like Super Mario World from the same generation.But on topic, Eggman sounds like the dumbest villan name I've ever heard!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.