Google Chrome

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Launching today is a beta of Google's new open-source browser, Google Chrome. It should be interesting to see how this turns out and I'm more than happy to make this my default browser if it produces the goods.

Click the top link for more information and then the second link for the comic book which introduced it all yesterday!

Comments

• edited September 2008
    looks interesting, i might have to try it out.
  • edited September 2008
    I'll give it a shot sometime soon. More competition in the browser market is a good thing. Especially with open source, it improves the web for the users of all browsers.

The comic provides the insight that there are some VERY interesting ideas going into Chrome. I chose to switch from IE to Firefox because it had very interesting ideas and features, and if Chrome ends up being the superior of the two I'll be happy to switch.

Even if Firefox has a neat name and an awesome logo. =p
  • edited September 2008
    Definitely looking into this. Firefox is good and all, but there's a bit of feature creep lately, and no options to turn them off without fiddling in the about:config page (I hate the Awesome Bar.)
  • edited September 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Definitely looking into this. Firefox is good and all, but there's a bit of feature creep lately, and no options to turn them off without fiddling in the about:config page (I hate the Awesome Bar.)

What's wrong with the Awesome Bar? Depending on what you dislike...

....you may not be too happy with Chrome's Omnibox.

Also, people should name their features with positive adjectives all the time. "Wow, I hate Microsoft Best OS Ever." Every insult sounds like sarcasm. =p
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Personally, I hope this leads to more major announcements being done via comic book.
  • edited September 2008
    What's wrong with the Awesome Bar? Depending on what you dislike...

I dunno, it was just annoying when I'm used to (for example) typing in "te" in the address bar, and telltalegames.com appearing in the dropdown.
    The Awesome Bar decided I didn't want Telltale's page appearing top of the list, and put www.madeupexamplebecauseicantactuallyrememberwhatreallycameup.com/test instead.

The Omnibox, I think I'd have to give it a go before I make a decision, but hopefully it'll give me the option to turn it off.

Also, people should name their features with positive adjectives all the time. "Wow, I hate Microsoft Best OS Ever." Every insult sounds like sarcasm. =p

Going into a games development course this year, so I am definitely going to keep this in mind for every project icon14.gif
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    The Omnibox, I think I'd have to give it a go before I make a decision, but hopefully it'll give me the option to turn it off.

I get the feeling that the Omnibox is kind of a showcase to a lot of Google's search/recommendation technology, so it will be a fairly core element in the browser. But who knows.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm posting this using Chrome! My first impressions are that it is very fast, but I'm not too keen on the general interface at the moment.

www.google.com/chrome
    edited September 2008
    The UI is kind of ridiculously simple. I can't tell if it's too simple but I haven't got any big issues so far. And yeah it seems to be extremely speedy, which is awesome.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm posting this using Chrome! My first impressions are that it is very fast, but I'm not too keen on the general interface at the moment.

www.google.com/chrome

i quite like it. the bookmarks tab should be fixed from the start. i spent a while figuring out how to do that.
  • edited September 2008
    I'd like to say that I'm having an overall positive experience, but I do have quite a few things to pick at with Chrome. So, here-a we go-a.

I'm loving the speed. The omnibar seems to be more hit or miss, it seems to not know what I'm talking about as often as the Awesome Bar does. This seems mostly due to the fact that it seems to far prefer throwing me to the front page of a site, which means it doesn't know why I'd want to automatically skip straight to, say, Telltale's forums when they have a perfectly fine front page with a simpler URL. Being able to google from a single main bar has already proven to be far more intuitive tand simple than splitting the bar into address and search portions. I prefer the Awesome Bar myself so far. When I started to use the bar in Firefox 3, I found myself feeling like it was an amazing feature. Using the similar feature in Chrome, I feel like it's hit or miss. Also, it tends to ding a lot, annoyed at me for doing something that it didn't expect.

Also, I'm missing Firefox's searching within a page while you type already. Firefox's searching within a page has always impressed me. The moment I pulled up Chrome's "Find in Page", I had my first "Oh wow, this is making me feel uncomfortable" moment.

And the built-in spell-checker only seems to tell you THAT you made a spelling error, without providing suggestions as to what the accurate spelling WOULD be. This is somewhat annoying, because I'm rather used to having spell-checkers tell me what they think I was trying to type.

The minimalistic look and feel is great. And I am already VERY much in love with the new tab page. It's amazing. It's keeping track of my closed tabs, my favorites, my most visited pages. It's extremely convenient, and not something I ever would have thought up on my own. But I love it.

I opened up Options and noticed how very few things are in there. I am also looking at the lack of customization with a bit of a raised eyebrow. But it's hard to complain, when the look and layout is so nice by default. Still, I'd like the option to at least slap on a new coat of paint if I want to. I'm sure the lack of my extensions is going to eventually start to grate on me as I eventually run into a situation where I'd usually simply access some extension feature, and find that it isn't there. I don't have MANY extensions, but the ones I have get very useful when I run into the situation that requires them.

All around, it's very solid. I'm gonna continue using this for awhile, because the overall experience, speed, and new features are worth dealing with the above for now. I'd also like to see if this is going, and whether or not the things that bug me are improved during/after beta to my satisfaction.

I'm picky.
  • edited September 2008
    Only complaint I have so far is the default fonts and the fact links are underlined... I want the same fonts that IE7 uses and I don't want the underlined links.

Any one with the know how to help me out?
  • edited September 2008
    I know this is a stupid question, but... can I use google toolbar in chrome? I can't download it and I don't see an option for it. The options on the toolbar are a deal breaker for me.
  • edited September 2008
    Holy crap, there is nothing in the UI... and I mean nothing! All you have taking up screen real estate are the tabs and address bar! It's like F11 loving all the time!
  • edited September 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I know this is a stupid question, but... can I use google toolbar in chrome? I can't download it and I don't see an option for it. The options on the toolbar are a deal breaker for me.

Why do you want the Google Toolbar, exactly? Isn't all the functionality of the toolbar built into the Chrome UI?

After a day of using Chrome, I've decided to set it aside. I'm going to hope that either a Firefox extension gives me the features I like from Chrome, or that Chrono will improve to the point that it has what I love from Firefox. I simply cannot switch over to Chrome for now. But it has so much promise, and this is just its first beta. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Also, still interested in the rumors of Chrome being the first step in a Google OS.
    edited September 2008
    Also, I'm missing Firefox's searching within a page while you type already. Firefox's searching within a page has always impressed me. The moment I pulled up Chrome's "Find in Page", I had my first "Oh wow, this is making me feel uncomfortable" moment.

Am I missing something? Ctrl-F in Chrome (not "Chrono," unless you're using something else entirely?) seems to behave identically to Firefox's, including search as you go...
  • edited September 2008
    The ability to highlight and find words or phrases within large pages is a function that I cannot live without! Autofill is handy too.
  • edited September 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Ctrl-F in Chrome (not "Chrono," unless you're using something else entirely?) seems to behave identically to Firefox's, including search as you go...

Yeah, you're right, it is Chrome. That was a slip on my part, nothing more.

I went back and messed with the search again, and it seems you're right. I must have had that word I was searching for hiding around somewhere at the top of the page and didn't see it. Still dings at me incessantly, though.
    xChri5x wrote: »
    The ability to highlight and find words or phrases within large pages is a function that I cannot live without! Autofill is handy too.

Ctrl+F brings up "Find in this page" which does highlight words and phrases on a page.
  • edited September 2008
    The minimalistic look and feel is great. And I am already VERY much in love with the new tab page. It's amazing. It's keeping track of my closed tabs, my favorites, my most visited pages. It's extremely convenient, and not something I ever would have thought up on my own. But I love it.

From what I saw in Google's comic, it looks very much like a combination of Opera's Speed dial and Last-closed tabs drop down (both of which I have in Firefox through extensions), except that the content of the speed dial is dynamic instead of user-set.

It does sound like a good idea, this new browser, and I will give it a go at some point... but considering I only just swapped to FF3 and have customised it to my liking, going to a very minimalistic browser will have it's annoying drawbacks.

Can you put the tab marks at the bottom of the screen instead of the top? That's how I'm used to working and I don't like having them at the top.... (yeah, I'm picky too)
  • edited September 2008
    Hmm... using it now, and it is pretty nice. Imported all my Firefox data (bookmarks, history, saved passwords!) without any hassle.

I still want the tabs at the bottom of the screen, though :(

And I need a flash blocker (like FF's AdBlockPlus) so I can block all those annoying flashing banner ads, and keep the nice flash like homestarrunner.com :)

But yeah, good work Google.... This could very well be a good contender to take IE and Firefox down a peg.
    edited September 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    This could very well be a good contender to take IE and Firefox down a peg.

Hopefully it will make them rise to the occasion.
  • edited September 2008
    I just installed it. I'm very impressed at the speed and the GUI. It's very sleek.
  • edited September 2008
    Just got it!

Like everyone else, I'm extremely surprised by the speed. My laptop usually runs like a snail when it comes to the internet but with chrome it's as fast as Firefox on my Mac! One of the slowest websites, Giant Bomb, runs like a dream now... AND ONCE AGAIN, ON MY INCREDIBLY SLOW LAPTOP!!! This browser is so good it's making me use "all caps"!

The really simplistic UI is great. I didn't think you could make something so simple yet functional. I can do most - if not all - of the things I could do on Firefox, plus more.

I love how it shows your most viewed websites on starting page every time you open it, as well.

I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I haven't used yet on Chrome but so far it's fantastic and might replace Firefox for me.:)

UPDATE: My Conclusion!
    chromeresponcepe1.png
    :D
  • edited September 2008
    i tried it. i like the speed, but the design is... well... i'm more accustomed to firefox, let's say. also, needs moar adblock plus plz.
  • edited September 2008
    Here's a pretty interesting thing somebody put together: http://wd-testnet.world-direct.at/mozilla/dhtml/funo/jstimetest.htm

For anyone not familiar, Javascript runs client-side (on your computer, as opposed to running on the server like PHP or ASP or something) and the speed of it depends entirely on the browser's interpreting of it. Anyway, Chrome has a from-scratch JS engine called V8 which is currently absurdly fast. Some averages from the various browsers I have installed here at work (all Windows versions):

Chrome: 37ms
    Firefox 3: 223ms
    Firefox 2: 587ms
    Opera: 261ms
    Safari: 254ms
    IE6: 705ms (with a lot of 'do you want to run this script?' popups)

So obviously Chrome currently blows away everything else (I would imagine IE7 and IE8 would put up fairly sad numbers as well). However interestingly enough Firefox 3.1 is getting its own JS engine rewrite called Tracemonkey (wtf?) which is supposedly 16% faster than V8 in its current unfinished state. Oh man browser wars are finally back.
  • edited September 2008
    mikew wrote: »
    Some averages from the various browsers I have installed here at work (all Windows versions):

Chrome: 37ms
    Firefox 3: 223ms
    Firefox 2: 587ms
    Opera: 261ms
    Safari: 254ms
    IE6: 705ms (with a lot of 'do you want to run this script?' popups)

So obviously Chrome currently blows away everything else (I would imagine IE7 and IE8 would put up fairly sad numbers as well). However interestingly enough Firefox 3.1 is getting its own JS engine rewrite called Tracemonkey (wtf?) which is supposedly 16% faster than V8 in its current unfinished state. Oh man browser wars are finally back.

This is VERY good for EVERYONE using a browser. With 3 very much equal competitors scrambling to keep up and gain an edge, we'll see a lot of browser features and new spikes in performance across the board. I'm as excited about browsers as I was when I first downloaded Firefox version zero-point-something.

So, mikew, why are you playing with browsers during work? Usually I wouldn't judge, but aren't you supposed to be doing something important to us? ;)
  • edited September 2008
    the only main problem is that some parts of pages don't work. such as on the student rooms forums I cannot quote. and on comet (a large uk electronic store) i could not load the checkout page.
    edited September 2008
    So, mikew, why are you playing with browsers during work? Usually I wouldn't judge, but aren't you supposed to be doing something important to us? ;)

He's one of our web programmers. :rolleyes:
  • edited September 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    He's one of our web programmers. :rolleyes:

:eek:

And here I thought all web-related things were tabacco's fault.
    edited September 2008
    Nope. Doug (tabacco) and Mike (w) are our web programmers, with David sometimes coming in for the assist on programming, htmlinizing, and art, with Gary and I doing design, Emily writing things, and Eric producerating. There are a lot of us now!
  • edited September 2008
    :eek:

And here I thought all web-related things were tabacco's fault.

That's why I updated my signature :)
  • edited September 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    That's why I updated my signature :)

Regardless, it's easier to think of you as the personification of all Telltale web issues. When something goes wrong, I can so easily imagine Sam the Eagle walking through a big room full of servers, beak filled with bees. Oops, he trips over a wire, and suddenly *oops* the buttons on the top of the page don't work.

You do all your work on the site in a giant Sam the Eagle suit, don't you?
  • edited September 2008
    It's cool if you do. We won't judge.

And hey if you want to blame broken things on Doug that's cool too. I won't mind :P
  • edited September 2008
    You do all your work on the site in a giant Sam the Eagle suit, don't you?

If only that were true. :D
  • edited September 2008
    Chrome doesn't like some flash. Slows to a crawl and hangs. Need to restart PC to fix it as relaunching the browser after a flash crash has it still running like a dog.

Love the pageloading speed. Awesome. Great dragging tabs so the pop to a new window, and dragging new windows back to thew tab bar.

Not really liking the separate incognito thing and therefore not being able to easily delete selected folder-icon things that show up pn th ehomepage view / history pages in the sidebar from recently visited sites in non-incognito mode.
  • edited September 2008
    Webkit ftw :)

I wish they'd kept in some of Apple's crazier CSS extensions, though, like dropshadows and transforms (skew, rotation, etc.). I'd love to see that stuff sneakily become standard :)
  • edited September 2008
    mikew wrote: »
    I would imagine IE7 and IE8 would put up fairly sad numbers as well

I got 262ms in Firefox 3, 42ms in Chrome and 693 in IE8 beta 2 with "Stop running this script?" boxes saying a script on the page is causing IE to run slowly! :D
  • edited September 2008
    Too bad it doesn't support Java. Unless you want to install the latest beta version.

--Erwin
  • edited September 2008
    does everyone still feel the same way about the browser, i use it as my main browser but still have IE and firefox as backups. the simplicity is brilliant, its really awkward to use firefox now for me, due to the extensions etc.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm continuing to use Firefox right now. I missed my extensions, and one of my favorite forums is a bit buggy in the browser.

There are a lot of cool ideas in Chrome, but...it doesn't completely suit my needs. Yet.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.