[TTG's Game of Thrones] What should gameplay look like and few questions

edited March 2014 in Game Of Thrones

Are you happy with current gameplay in games from TellTale? Do you think TWD/TWAU gameplay would fit to GoT? Or would you like to see something new?

Also where do you want the story to be placed? I'd prefer a time when the Mad King Aerys is still alive.

Do you think it will be HW demanding? I, as an owner of weaker PC hope it won't. But I don't know, it should run on new engine...

Comments

• edited March 2014

According to this the timeline is going to be set around events already filmed/written about, so that'll make it easy to integrate people into the story.

The gameplay could easily fit into a GoT world since everyone's best weapon is their mind, but I'd really like to see a character creation element, or at least a creation of the main character's back story that then plays into the overall game itself (sort of like Dragon Age: Origins where your starting character didn't get into the main story until their own world got caught up in a bigger dynamic). Even simple facial feature and hair options (like in Rock Band 3) would be enough. Honestly, the characters in TWD and TWAU look pretty good even now, so having a morphology to choose from would be cool, and depending on what happens, the appearance of injuries could persist and have a further effect on how in-game characters react ("I got this scar at the battle of so-and-so").

Alternatively, what about following a different character for each episode so that as the story goes along, you get to see each of the four from a very different perspective and are then forced to rethink your favorite or hated character in light of the bigger picture? Then in the last episode, you get to choose from each and see how their story turns out based on everything you've learned from all the other characters.

Considering the hardware currently available, I think it would make sense to up the texture resolution/polygon count, or perhaps offer an optional download for those who can use it. Also, I think TTG is launching a new engine with the Borderlands game, so this will likely be improved upon by the time GoT comes out. It's a long time until this game comes around, but considering the TV show is likely going to run for another three or four seasons, and may even have a film to sum up the books, I think there's a good chance for a season two of this series as well.

As for your other questions, I can think of many changes that I'd like to see, but I'll keep it brief for now.

• instead of a standard time to react with up, down, left or right, the amount of time given should depend on the situation
    • from above, what about being able to do things with a best timing or bad timing, so that those little events for that particular character can accumulate into whether or that person acts, doesn't act, or acts and then changes their mind during that isolated event?
    • mash 'q' and delicately move the mouse at the same time? Requiring more focus during intense scenes might make things more exciting
    • chance-based actions - just because you can do something doesn't mean it should work out every single time, which could work with the timing element to get people to wait for the best time to press a button instead of just hitting it whenever it's available
    • penalties for interrupting people - if you don't hear crucial information, you shouldn't be able to remember it anyway
  • Very nice answer. I agree with most parts. But I still hope it won't be too much HW demanding.

Katalept posted: »

According to this the timeline is going to be set around events already filmed/written about, so that'll make it easy to integrate people in

• There's plenty of time between now and then to upgrade, not to mention there will be some great Christmas deals around that time to go easy on your budget. Perhaps you should hope to find a good deal in computer hardware instead?

stitch123 posted: »

Very nice answer. I agree with most parts. But I still hope it won't be too much HW demanding.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.