Why no Gametap???

I really thought that this series would appear on Gametap because Sam and Max is on it. I thought that they had a partnership to put everything on Gametap, but I guess the guys at Homestarrunner.com didn't give the permission. Hoping for Wallace and Gromit to be on it though.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    I thought that they had a partnership to put everything on Gametap

We did have a deal with GameTap to put the Sam & Max games on their service, but it's not a blanket thing that applies to all of our games. With each of our series, we look for an exclusive partner that we think is a good fit for the series. For many reasons, we decided WiiWare was the right place to debut Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. (The Wii version is doing very well, so we know it was a good decision!)

The episodes will probably show up on other services in the future, but for now, WiiWare (Wii version) and Telltale's website (PC version) are the two places you can get them.

As for Wallace & Gromit, we're exploring some possibilities and we'll make an announcement when we decide who our partner will be.
  • edited September 2008
    Please put it on Gametap!!!!!!
  • edited September 2008
    moskow603 wrote: »
    Please put it on Gametap!!!!!!

You didn't read Emily's post did you?
  • edited September 2008
    Seriously, you're not gonna get them any cheaper on GameTap, you know. Asking for it won't make any difference. If you found your way here to the TellTale site, you're just a hop skip and a jump away from getting the game via the parent site of this board. Is it really that big of a deal? o_O
  • edited September 2008
    Seriously, you're not gonna get them any cheaper on GameTap, you know. Asking for it won't make any difference. If you found your way here to the TellTale site, you're just a hop skip and a jump away from getting the game via the parent site of this board. Is it really that big of a deal? o_O
    Actually they do end up a little cheaper through gametap (if you're on some of the multiple month at a time plans), but then you have to keep a current subscription if you ever want to play them again. This in no way means I condone it's release on GameTap, just setting things straight. Also you are paying for access to literally hundreds (yes I said hundreds) of other games so there's no comparison to it really. I'm fine getting them off the web though and bought the entire season.
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, the #1 problem with gametap is that it is NOT a good deal...

While they have a library of over 1000 games, you do not get to KEEP any of them (except for a few free games that few people play). Once you cancel your subscription (and yes, someday you will), that's it.. no more games, you keep nothing, and you were just throwing your money away!

Also, while its only $10 a month... It adds up, I had it for almost 2 years and it cost me $220 to play the handful of games that I could have gotten for $50 altogether. Whats worse is that I have no hard copies of the games to show for it.

In fact, if it were not for Myst online, i would have canceled my subscription long before i did. (but gametap was the only access to it)

You can also get a good deal on the whole season from telltale, (all 5 for $34.99) and guess what? YOU GET TO KEEP THE GAMES FOREVER!!! They even give you a backup disc with extras at the end of the season for free.
  • edited September 2008
    As I see it, Gametap is just another game vault that lets you play a bunch of games that slow up your computer, mess up your hard-drive, you can get those games and own it and it won't take up your hard-drive space. I had to quit Gametap for 3 reasons:
    1: It took up my hard-drive space.
    2: Myst Online ended.
    3: Sam & Max ended.

Those are the only reasons I went on there, it also takes an entire day to download a game!
  • edited September 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    In fact, if it were not for Myst online, i would have canceled my subscription long before i did. (but gametap was the only access to it)

Yep... Me too.
  • edited September 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    it also takes an entire day to download a game!

To be fair, that'd be your internet connection, not GameTap.
  • edited September 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    To be fair, that'd be your internet connection, not GameTap.

My connection is fine, it's Gametap.
  • edited September 2008
    That's generally why Steam is so well liked. Yeah, you have to pay for the games, but you get to keep them forever. XD
  • edited September 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    My connection is fine, it's Gametap.

If it were GameTap, everybody would have that problem. I can download their biggest titles in 3-4 hours with a basic ADSL.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    In defense of the whole "you don't get to keep it" argument, I think the point is more that you get to play the games that you never ever would have bought. And a lot of them, you probably wouldn't ever play again even if it was enjoyable the first time through. Are there games on GameTap I wouldn't mind owning? Sure, but a lot of them I never even would have had the chance to play, because I sure as hell wasn't going to pay 30 or 40 bucks for them in the first place.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    moskow603 wrote: »
    I guess the guys at Homestarrunner.com didn't give the permission.

It has nothing to do with that. As Emily said, we all thought the game was a good fit for the Wii, and for release on Telltale's site, so we went with that. Not a very long or controversial story, really. :)

Since this thread has dissolved a bit into the merits of GameTap in general, I think I'm going to send this thread to the farm.
This discussion has been closed.