Marketing the BONE game series

edited May 2005 in Bone
From the Press Release;
...And now Telltale, a company that takes you to the worlds where characters like Bone play and invites you to play with them, will be creating new episodes for PC gaming....

...Telltale Games will compliment this with their first Bone PC episode...
And that there confirms we are indeed looking forward to a series of BONE games. Excellent.

Also from the Press Release;
Bone is also the flagship title for Scholastic's new graphic novel imprint Graphix, which launched in February. "We are thrilled to launch our exciting new imprint with this adventurous, funny and unforgettable series" added Jean Feiwel, Scholastic's publisher and editor in chief, "Scholastic's unique distribution network of bookstores, school book clubs and book fairs will send Bone out to a vast, new multi-generational audience." Telltale Games will compliment this with their first Bone PC episode.
With this new colour version of the comics being distributed via Scholastic, I really hope Telltale get to put full page ads for the game(s) in each issue. Or what about a demo "Coverdisk" with one of the issues? Is that a possibility?

It would be a good way to reach your non-adventure-game-fanboy target audience.

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Schoolastic are fairly wealthy, maybe they could get someone to distribute the game by disc.
  • edited February 2005
    Scholastic sell books direct to school kids, right? Via monthly or bi-monthly magazines / order forms?

If Telltale can sell CD versions of their BONE game(s) via the Scholastic distribution setup, that'd be a huge marketing coup. :D
  • edited February 2005
    I doubt you'd see ad's or cd's in the scholastic reprints. They're trade paperbacks, not the original issues. (well I guess technically they could put a cd in the back cover but that'd be pretty rare.

That being said they're actually really good prints with decent coloring, embossing and surprisingly thick paper.

I'm not sure about putting them into scholastic book clubs, Those usually only go through elementary schools and I doubt parents would drop the 40 or 50 bucks on it.

Either way there's a definite planned attack with the new trade paperbacks, the game, and whatever else they have in store (I wouldn't discount a movie if it takes off again).
  • edited February 2005
    I doubt you'd see ad's or cd's in the scholastic reprints. They're trade paperbacks, not the original issues. (well I guess technically they could put a cd in the back cover but that'd be pretty rare.

Well, if what you say is true, that's a pity - quite a lost opportunity to advertise the game direct to the BONE fanbase (as opposed to the Adventure Game fanbase).
  • edited February 2005
    Another thought is simply to give away the Demo CD as added value at retail with the purchase of any BONE comic. Doesn't even have to be inserted into the book - maybe a removable sticker on the cover that says "Get your FREE BONE PC Game demo CD when you buy this comic. Ask at the counter" - then the store attendants just hand out the demo CD with any Bone comic purchase.

Make a few posters to be displayed in-store too to catch the attention of those not specifically looking in the BONE section.

This is the way music stores give away t-shirts, posters, promo CDs etc.

Oh, and would some kind mod please move this thread over to the new BONE forum? Thankee!
  • edited February 2005
    I think posting a demo online would be sufficient. It would save all the trouble of manufacturing demo CDs. You gotta figure, Telltale is just starting out. They might not be ready for a big marketing plan like that.
  • edited February 2005
    Well, online demos would cater to broadband enabled adventure fans, but Telltale would want to also hit the Bone comic fans (who may never have played an adventure game in their life).

Marketing the game directly to the existing comic fanbase is a no-brainer - or else what's the point in getting a licensed product in the first place?
  • edited February 2005
    Great news
  • edited February 2005
    Online demo and distribution is the way to go - no question. According to the latest Pew Internet and American Life Project report - about 55% of all internet users have broadband. (http://www.technewsworld.com/story/33471.html).

That number has jumped substantially in the last year or so - meaning it is sure to climb more. Look at the number of people who simply use the internet compared with just a few years ago. Telltale is smart to jump on the bandwagon off online distribution only. They will save tons of money which translates into more money put into their products = good for us!
  • edited February 2005
    There is a world outside of the US of course. And using your stats 45% of all (US) internet users do not have broadband and would probably baulk at any download larger than 10-15 MB.

And there are a significant number of computers that are not Internet connected.

What I'm getting at in this thread are ways to market the game to the existing Bone fanbase, probably via the comics somehow.

Yes, we're all adventure game fans, but there is a huge established audience fot this game who probably are not (or at least don't know that they are yet).
  • edited February 2005
    I think it's pretty clear that this game has to be marketed at Bone fans. Whatever country the book is sold in, the game has to follow. If the there is no big distributer to back them up, and the nets the only way to get it, then so be it. Every last bone fan has to be told about it. Where you find Bone you must find a advert for Telltale. After that is when they aim for the general adventure gaming community, and the schools.
  • edited February 2005
    "There is a world outside US"

Good point JP

"What I'm getting at in this thread are ways to market the game to the existing Bone fanbase, probably via the comics somehow"

I misunderstood. That is a good idea. I like the idea of Bone comics being sold with an insert that has Telltale's website and info about the game. I was just trying to make the point that Telltale needs to keep costs down - and an aggressive internet advertising campaign is much cheaper than giving tons of CDs to graphic novel/book retailers.
  • edited February 2005
    There is a world outside of the US of course.

There is indeed a world outside of the US, like the Netherlands. The place where I live and where they don't sell Bone! So if they will put demo discs with comics I hope they'll put it online too cuz if they don't I won't be able to play it.
  • edited February 2005
    If they do put out a demo, there is almost no doubt that they would release it online as well, so I wouldn't worry there.

They might, however, do a limited time exclusive demo available on CD that comes packaged with a magazine for a month before they put it online. I wouldn't count that out.
  • edited February 2005
    Another consideration regarding demos CD and magazine coverdiscs is that this is an episodic game. I would imagine that the game engine will be integrated with the first episode of BONE only and subsequent purchases / downloads will just be the new datafile for each episode.

So it would be good to get the (probably quite large) 'engine' portion of the game delivered via disc if at all possible, for those who only have dialup modems.
  • edited February 2005
    There is a world outside of the US of course.

There is indeed a world outside of the US, like the Netherlands. The place where I live and where they don't sell Bone! So if they will put demo discs with comics I hope they'll put it online too cuz if they don't I won't be able to play it.

Nice to see someone from the netherlands here.
    to bad the shopz dont sell bone comics here
    but www.bol.com sells them :D
  • edited February 2005
    Well I guess you could talk all day about what Telltale could do with marketing, but the truth of the matter is marketing is hardly ever left in the hands of the developer.

Publishers are the ones with the money, and thus are the ones that have the funds to advertise. Unless of course Telltale has a trust fund baby on the project and has some alternative distrubution methods lined up, but I'm going to wager there's going to be a publisher involved somewhere.
  • edited February 2005
    Gamespot interview

Gamespot: When do you expect to announce a publishing partner?

Dan Conners: We may not. The proliferation of broadband has opened a direct channel to fans of these types of games. We started Telltale to push the market forward and quickly take advantage of advances in technology. There are many behemoths in the industry going about things in a very formulaic way; Telltale isn't down with that. If we do choose to work with a publisher, it will be because we have a shared vision.
  • edited February 2005
    Hmm, interesting indeed. Hope it works out, but it's still a fairly unproven distribution model (even Valve had some major issues with steam). But here's hoping.
  • edited February 2005
    That's not really true. Check out RealArcade, Yahoo! Games, and Oberon Media, for starters.
  • edited February 2005
    That's not really true. Check out RealArcade, Yahoo! Games, and Oberon Media, for starters.
    But those are all casual games, developed by one person or a very small team for little or no money. They don't make a lot of money, but since it's all profit, they can still do okay. Bone is a full-fledged title. It's also a title that’s major audience (Bone readers and adventure gamers) probably aren't as tech savvy as Half Life 2 players.
  • edited February 2005
    I wouldn't say it's fair to judge the entire adventure gaming community as less tech savy than Halo 2 fans. There are just alot less adventure gamers, so we have a lot less tech savy people. Basically I mean, I've met some Halo 2 players who were morons, and some who were brilliant.
  • edited February 2005
    Anyone who can get an old adventure game to work in Dosbox is tech savvy, if you ask me.

Which nobody did, but I told you anyway. :D
  • edited February 2005
    I wouldn't say it's fair to judge the entire adventure gaming community as less tech savy than Halo 2 fans. There are just alot less adventure gamers, so we have a lot less tech savy people. Basically I mean, I've met some Halo 2 players who were morons, and some who were brilliant.
    What I meant was that in order to sell the most units, Bone has to be as user friendly as possible. This means that they have to make it available to the lowest common denominator. Adventure gamers come from all walks of life (unlike FPS fans who seem to usually be 15-30 year old males) and Telltale has to make their game easy to get ahold of.

I've been playing many more console games than PC games lately. While it could be a quality thing, I think it has to do with the fact that I've become fed up with errors and installation and system requirements and all that other stuff. When I bring a PC game home it seems to take hours before I can actually play the thing. With a console game, it only takes about three minutes (would be faster but those boxes seemed to be sealed better than prescription medicine). I havent played Half Life 2, but friends of mine who had all mentioned the ungodly amount of time it took for them to actually be able to play it, this is mostly due to screw-ups in Steam. Now Valve is a pretty reliable company, if they can make a slip up of that magnitude, so can Telltale.

It could also be a lot worse of a slip-up if Telltale makes it. If a Bone reader whos never bought a computer game (or at least doesnt buy them often) tries to download the game and fails, hes going to give up (while HL2 players are more likely to keep trying and just complain about it in message boards).

All Im saying is that downloading a large full game (without the option to get it in a box) is uncharted territory and that Telltale should be very careful that they dont shoot themselves in the proverbial foot. I have a lot of faith in these guys and Id like to see them around for a while.

The good news is that their card game was incredibly easy to get going (although I didnt try to register). It only took about fifteen second to download, but Im on a very fast network. Im not sure how long it would take someone on a 56k.

I just realized that this is almost 400 words long. No ones going to read all this. Oh well. Thank you, and goodnight.
  • edited April 2005
    Just to take this thread back a bit - I recently re-read the first episode of Bone in the new color scholastic version, and it rocks!

It is perfect that the color editions are being released one at a time by scholastic in a way that will (could) coincide perfectly with Telltale's releases of the game. Out from Bonevile just came out in scholastic recently, and later this year the Telltale game will come out. Probably around the same time Scholastic will be releasing the second Bone book - giving players a chance to read the next installment immediately after finishing the game and get them ready for an early 2006 release of episiode 2 from Telltale and so on.

At least that is how it should happen if they are smart - have players reading the next bone book in color from scholastic while waiting for the next game.
  • edited April 2005
    The good news is that their card game was incredibly easy to get going (although I didnt try to register). It only took about fifteen second to download, but Im on a very fast network. Im not sure how long it would take someone on a 56k.

It took me over one hour to download the game with a 56k modem. It worked great once I got it though.

As far as marketing goes, hitting both game magazines and comic magazines is a must. A demo CD is a great idea but may not be a viable option for a start-up company.

I think online distribution is just a natural step forward. I only hope more developers embrace the technology and free us from the designs of oppressive publishers who are only worried about the bottom dollar.
  • edited May 2005
    What I remember from Grade School about Scholastic was the setup in the library they had on ocassion and monthly cheaply printed pamphlets. I remember seeing games ocassionally. My friend bought Descent 2 from scholastic. I think I saw a setup recently, at my college no less, with a bunch of games...mostly crappy games, but still games. I don't see why, if they were selling the books, they wouldn't want to sell the game too.
  • edited May 2005
    What I remember from Grade School about Scholastic was the setup in the library they had on ocassion and monthly cheaply printed pamphlets. I remember seeing games ocassionally...

Definitely. My Wife is an elementary school teacher so I see those little phamplets every month and they always have games. We actually just got Sim City 4 Deluxe through scholastic.

Also - in the Telltale Blog
    they mentioned that "its another goal of ours to synch up with Scholastic and brainstorm on this so we can have a mutually beneficial relationship."

So I guess that answers that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.