Your thoughts on Episode 2

So I just finished Strongbadia the Free.

It was awesome, once again a lot of cool jokes with a good amount of laugh out loud moments.

Probably not quite as good as episode one, but maybe it was just because it seemed a little the same. Definitely worth a play though :D

Ep 3 looks awesome, the whole band thing going on.

I would make my review more in depth but it's past 5am down here in Australia and I really need to sleep, but what did everyone think of it?

Comments

• edited September 2008
    My thoughts are summed up in convenient review form. :)
  • edited September 2008
    I just finished it too.

It was definitely better than the first episode, for me at least. The humour was sharper and the structure of the episode was better paced. I also liked the "unlock areas as you go" system a lot better than the map in episode one.

In saying that, the ending was a bit of an anti-climax, and I was hoping that an over-arching storyline throughout the season would start to show by now, like the Sam and Max games. I guess that isn't what Telltale are going for this time though, which is fine.

I like that the hidden items are a bit more hidden than before and I'm still looking for more ways to insult Strong Sad.

Anyway, rather than write a 2000 word review, i'm just going to finish by saying that this season definitely still has me hooked, and I can't wait to see what else the team come up with for episodes 3-5!
  • edited September 2008
    This definitely has the first episode beat by a mile. :D (And not just because it had gallons of new Homsar lines.)

Everything was just spot on. If I had to criticize anything, it would be that Math Kickers was pretty bad compared to Snake Boxer, and the board game, while fun, was a bit annoying after you've seen all of the (hilarious) face-offs already.

Another jorb well done.
  • edited September 2008
    Good, Better, Harder, Funner, Still haven't done all the extras.
    Summed up in a Not-Sentence!
  • edited September 2008
    Good, Better, Harder, Funner

Been listening to some Daft Punk?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    If I had to criticize anything, it would be that Math Kickers was pretty bad compared to Snake Boxer,

Did you try the special moves? That made it more fun for me. :)
    and the board game, while fun, was a bit annoying after you've seen all of the (hilarious) face-offs already.

I was terrible at the board game the first time through. After I understood how it worked, though, I had fun trying to figure it out in the least possible number of moves.
  • edited September 2008
    I Would Review if it was Out for England.
    But i gotta wait a bit longer. :(
  • edited September 2008
    I found a lil' summit summit
    on the game board
    , I'm wondering if there's anymore to be had there too!

Loved them game, still a couple of things to find (1 CGS piece, 2 insults and 1 item of clothing still to go).

Well done Telltale, loads of injokes and the rest. I really want to see if you can get
    Lil' brudder in the draft selection process

-m0r
  • edited September 2008
    Homsar's speech? A+ Player VS Player Board game? A+ Homsar? A+++

All in all, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
  • edited September 2008
    I'm around halfway through, so far I like it. I think some of the puzzles are a little too obvious. But I definitely love the concept, and I heard about the finale of the episode, and it sounds awesome. It's funnier than the first episode as well. Overall, I gotta say I liked the first episode a little better, but this is almost as good as the first one (which I loved).
  • edited September 2008
    BTW, I wonder if the poster in SB's room is a sign, or is just there... hmm....
  • edited September 2008
    You can find my thoughts on the game in my REVIEW
  • edited September 2008
    Since I only play the games for the humour, I wasn't bothered by the puzzles' simplicity, though I did notice it. I'd say this was a more interesting setting which led to more humourous moments.

The way TGS was included had me laughing, brilliant!

I got bored with Algebros pretty quickly, even with their special attack moves. But I never really played Snake Boxer V that much in the previous episode, either.

[off topic]Did I really see a reviewer say the last bit of the game was like Axis and Allies? That was clearly a reference to Diplomacy, wasn't it?[/off topic]

Also, I could talk to Homsar all day and night.
  • edited September 2008
    I haven't gotten far in it yet, but there was one thing I thought I should mention here and now since I'm not sure where else to stick it at the moment...

The game is very fun and it's quite nice to see the total turn-around of unexpected cruelty on the oft-tormented King of Town. But what's bugging me is that there seems to be some .. I wanna say "lag" issues with the Wii version. I keep running into situations where the game has to pause for a second while the voices catch up. The most noticable one was in the intro where Strong Bad is checking his email, and he finishes typing part of the sentence before he even starts saying it. The thing froze for a second while the dialogue caught up.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    That's definitely odd and not something I've personally experienced. If you get around to playing through the episode again, could you check to see if the problem is still there?
  • edited September 2008
    I can't really think of anything all that negative too say about this episode. The puzzles were maybe just a little harder than in episode one, and that was nice. I laughed... a lot.. throughout. I loved all of the in-joke references throughout.

Once again the characters were all pretty much exactly how I would want them in a videogame (I even loved the Homesar crazyness.) And I thought that the story was actually really solid. (I LOVED all of those little WWII style videos whenever you catch a territory.)

All in all, nice job Telltale. I hope these are doing well enough that we can get a season 2... maybe even with more of an overarching plot.
  • edited September 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Did you try the special moves? That made it more fun for me. :)

Ah, I forgot about the special moves! (I found them so early on that they slipped my mind by the time I finished the game proper.)
    I was terrible at the board game the first time through. After I understood how it worked, though, I had fun trying to figure it out in the least possible number of moves.

I was pretty bad at it, too. I finally finished at something like "Round 55". :p

Maybe that's why I was soured on it. By the time I discovered that
    The Cheat + Strong Mad = Draw
    , and I had a winning strategy, I just wanted to get on with it. It would be pretty fun to play it as the Homestarmy, though. :D

(Also, I should give more praise for the Homsar stuff. I nearly fell out of my chair multiple times.)
  • edited September 2008
    Ugh, accidentally clicked refresh by mistake.

Anyways, I was gonna say that I haven't run into the pausing glitch since the intro, so perhaps it was only there, or it may have even been a temporary error in my Wii.

I did want to say that I'm liking everything more than the first episode. The expanded areas - like Strong Sad's room, and the Homsar Reservation which is awesome - and the added "objectives" for increasing rank such as setting things on fire. It's all so much better than the first one. The humour is greatly improved. The jokes feel less like jabs at previous emails and more like a new story altogether with some familiar elements added for good measure.
  • edited September 2008
    I've finished the game, but I still have to track down the rest of the achievements and collectables. Still, I think it is safe for me to say that I loved this episode!

The difficulty was a bit on the easy side (it was a little more difficult compared to episode 1), but I'm assuming that the difficulty will rise as the episodes progress. The humor was excellent as well. Overall, the game was a blast; keep up the good work, Telltale!

Oh, and m0r1arty,
    If you haven't done it already, you can get Lil' Brudder selected for the draft (As soon as I saw him on the wheel, I just HAD to get him selected!). You probably already have a good idea of what happens when he is selected, but the scene is just too funny to skip!
  • edited September 2008
    i haven't finished the game yet...only entered the homesar area...but so far it is great. those little cutscenes when invading another country are awesome. the whole setting is well done, it's different from the usual toons, but still fits into the homestar runner universe. also, i totally enjoyed the poopsmith actually using his riot equipment...
  • edited September 2008
    So far I've only played the demo, but even it was more awesome then I thought it would be(and I thought it would be preety awesome)! I can't wait to go to war with the kOT. I agree with wisp, the Pooper Trooper (Poopa Troopa!?) attack was really funny, and so was blowing up Strong Bad ten times! :D
  • edited September 2008
    Ben Again wrote: »
    blowing up Strong Bad ten times! :D

Word on the street is, 12-Times-A-Day Man can blow up Strong Bad 12 times!

(My apologies for the painfully obvious reference you see above)
  • edited September 2008
    I can do it nine times.

-m0r
  • edited September 2008
    You can, but did you?
  • edited September 2008
    All in all, I rather liked this episode. It was still a tad short and the difficulty probably could be raised a little higher, but the humor was spot on with the Homestar universe and I found myself having an enjoyable time. Like the Sam & Max series, I can tell that Telltale has certainly has been able to experiment with the series as the episodes go on, and this episode benefits from that. This episode, and its story arc, was a little more polished, I think.
    Side note... that bit with Homsar at the Homsar Reservation was awesome!
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Word on the street is, 12-Times-A-Day Man can blow up Strong Bad 12 times!

(My apologies for the painfully obvious reference you see above)
    m0r1arty wrote: »
    I can do it nine times.

-m0r
    Oww... my head a-splode.
  • edited September 2008
    Good:
    Homsar's real voice.
    The whole idea of taking over the countries, and the animations and voice overs with them (as wisp said).
    New locations.
    Making this episode different, yet similar to the first.

Bad:
    Length of the episode.
    The final puzzle got a bit tedious when I kept losing over and over...!
  • edited September 2008
    Good:
    Homsar's real voice.

I agree. Also think its funny that
    strong bad talks like homsar during that scene.
  • edited September 2008
    Yes, I finished it. I thought the whole ammount of Homsar related material was incredibly hilarious and was laughing my ass off the whole time he's there.

I can't agree that the difficulty was too easy, although if you know what you're doing, then yes, it's a piece of cake. But the Board Game had no real hints as to what you were supposed to do. I ended up winning almost by accident, after losing about a dozen times, and I got through Homstar Ruiner within less than a day of getting it. So yeah, for me at least, Strong Badia the Free was definitely longer and more difficult in the sense that the puzzles were less clear-cut.

I must admit that I loved Algebros, because unlike Snake Boxer V, I didn't actually need the codes to help me beat it.
  • edited September 2008
    "What are you saying, Strong Bad? You sound like a two-years old."

Heh heh, moo. Also, the maps and minions annoyed me too. Too bad Strong Bad couldn't come and smack some sence. Also, kinda annoying too see Strong Sad make my guys depressed over and over and over again. It was kinda funnny the first few times (With Coach Z) but I drew the line with Teh C, cause' something oh-so cute can be oh-so sad. Did anyone think Homestar was a bit less dumber in Maps and Minions?
  • edited September 2008
    Actually, if you know what you're doing as I said, the board game becomes the simplest easiest thing ever. As clumbsy as that sentence sounds. You can cause Homestar to just chase the same character back and forth along the same two panels. I don't wanna ruin it or anything, but...
    If you constantly hide the Of Town in the Poopsmith's Fog of War, Homestar can not see him, and will go for Coach Z EVERY turn. Essentially making an otherwise useless character into a good one. So I guess you could say that if Homestar stops caring and chases around Coach Z, just because he can't see the KoT, then he's very stupid indeed.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    If you constantly hide the Of Town in the Poopsmith's Fog of War, Homestar can not see him, and will go for Coach Z EVERY turn. Essentially making an otherwise useless character into a good one.

Almost like there's a bit of a puzzle in there :) Also, poor Coach Z.
  • edited September 2008
    I really loved the board game once I realized that Homestar and Strong Sad have the minds of horrible chess players, and you just had to take advantage of their "beat the nearest piece" mentality that doesn't account for sacrifices actually being desirable in many cases in games like these. I loved this puzzle, and it was loads of fun. I might go as far as to say this is my favorite "end puzzle" of any of Telltale's games to date!
  • edited September 2008
    Yes, once I figured it out, it was much more enjoyable. Although it was strange how sometimes it skipped all the dialogue once I'd seen it, and other times it played every encounter on the board.
  • edited September 2008
    I loved it. If it were a sandwich, it would definitely be a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Nice length, took me a few sittings, and I felt it was a lot better than Homestar Ruiner. Enjoyed the Homsar stuff very much, he's always been my favorite character.

I'd give it a 9/10, not perfect but pretty darn close.

If the "this episode is better than the last" trend keeps up then Episode 5 entitled: "Rub-a-dub Bubs" will be dy-no-mite, out of site, and something else that rhymes.
  • edited September 2008
    I loved it, I'm just sad that it had to end. The grander plot line of defeating the kingee was great.
    And Homsar was awesome, who would of thought that he wasn't just a moron. I loved the draft wheel puzzle and hope you guys keep it up with light logic and rampup the difficulty later. The World War 2 motif was excellently done.

BTW Telltale, are some of the emails mentioned in the game real?
  • edited September 2008
    None of the emails in the game are real emails sent in (like they are on the actual HSR site). I'm sure it's a legal thing or whatnot - but it's been addressed somewhere prior to the first game's release.

-m0r
  • edited September 2008
    Been listening to some Daft Punk?

That's exactly the same thing that came to my mind too! :D

-

I actually thought this episode was a little easier than the last one, but I think that's because I'm really comfortable with the Homestar Runner characters and can actually, sometimes, if unintentionally, think like them? (Eep! I'm not sure what that says about me! I spend too much free time watching cartoons maybe?) It kind of ended too abruptly for me, but I love the extended play!
    I just wish I could get all the Strong Sad insults done now that I'm done with the game.
  • edited September 2008
    I was watching my cousin play Homestar Ruiner last week, and saw how he struggled with otherwise obvious puzzles when it kinda dawned on me. I was so good at these because of the fact that I'm so familiar with the characters and know how to think like them or at least understand their own unique logic. That's why I find most of the puzzles so simple, and when I was replaying it to get the insults, I realized that Homestar actually gave away an important hint before the board game that I should have noticed sooner.
    Homestar referred to Coach Z as "traitorous" considering he was drafted into the Homestarmy and then fled. So it's only logical that, faced with no KoT in sight, he'd persue him relentlessly.

There were a lot of clues and hints through-out the game. The emails at the beginning also hinted at what was to come. Such as one asking about what Homsar was talking about, or wanting to know about PomPom.
  • edited September 2008
    I am extremely pleased with the amount of Homsar in this episode. I was in stitches the entire time I was in the Homsar Reservation! Don't get me wrong, the whole game was a laugh riot, but Homsar's part stole the show. :D

Of course, I might be a little biased since he's my favorite H*R character...
  • edited September 2008
    Homestar referred to Coach Z as "traitorous" considering he was drafted into the Homestarmy and then fled. So it's only logical that, faced with no KoT in sight, he'd persue him relentlessly.
    Btw, has anyone noticed when you see Peacey P's album "Downright Homey" (or whatever), it says "with the Traitorous Coach Z".
    Did Homestar make the cover to the album? Creepy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.