The structure of the "Strong" house.

I know I shouldn't care, but I'm really confused by the structure of Strongbad/sad/mad's house.

The only bathroom is sandwiched between Strongsad's and Strongmad's rooms. Really the only exit from any of these rooms is through Strongsad's room due to the lack of a hallway. I feel bad for Strongmad. Unless there's an unseen hallway to the south of the screen, hmm....

Also, where is the observatory that's in nearly all the Strong Bad emails?

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I'm not sure about the observatory. But I seem to recall there definitely being a hallway to the LEFT of the stairs leading downstairs. You'd have to have that hallway, or Strong Mad wouldn't be able to get into his room. Ergo, we must conclude that there is a second bathroom, somewhere. As we've seen a second bathroom in the comic "hiding". Unless that was simply a different designed version of the first bathroom, but I'd say probably not.

And it's true, there are going to be people who ponder the design of their house. But at this point I'd say that we didn't even know how the house looked period before the game came out, because you never saw enough of it at one time. I mean, the email where his original computer exploded "Gimmicks" he flew backwards into a wall, into Strong Sad's room. But in later emails and in the game, it shows their rooms side by side with a hallway in between. So there's already inconsistency.

And take note of Strong Sad and Strong Bad's conversation about buring the house down. I seem to recall that Strong Sad said "again." Meaning that the house may have gone through several remodels over the years.
  • edited September 2008
    And take note of Strong Sad and Strong Bad's conversation about buring the house down. I seem to recall that Strong Sad said "again." Meaning that the house may have gone through several remodels over the years.

Yeah, I bet his house got a-sploded several times. Maybe during the most recent reconstruction they got a bit mixed up. BTW, I still don't know that observitory.
  • edited September 2008
    Ben Again wrote: »
    Yeah, I bet his house got a-sploded several times. Maybe during the most recent reconstruction they got a bit mixed up. BTW, I still don't know that observitory.

You know, the observatory where Strongbad observes comets, asteroid belts, and constellations in the shape of Kurt Russell. Why would I make that up?

And nope, no hallway to the left of the stairs, just a wall. A wall that mocks and steals various amounts of lunch moneys.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    The placements of doors, windows, hallways, stairways, etc, seem to come and go to suit the needs of a particular episode (for instance, sometimes Strong Sad's room has an arched doorway and stairs, the computer room got a window one time just so a tree branch could say "Douglas," etc). The house in SBCG4AP was laid out for a few different reasons, but my favorite part of it is the concept of Strong Sad having to put up with everyone in the house tromping through his room every time they have to use the bathroom.
  • edited September 2008
    I thought all houses did that. I always find new windows in my room whenever a tree wants to say "Douglas" to me. (In the voice of Jerry Stiller, of course.)
  • edited September 2008
    McGoiter wrote: »
    And nope, no hallway to the left of the stairs, just a wall. A wall that mocks and steals various amounts of lunch moneys.

So how do you know there is no hallway there? Because you're not allowed to go into it? That doesn't say much. That's like saying Strong Mad's room doesn't exist yet because we haven't seen it. But I get the feeling we'll be seeing it (his room) in the next episode if what Strong Bad said was accurate.

In regards to the hallway, I was thinking from a design standpoint of building a house with logical placement.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm just cringing at the thought that only Strong Sad had any access to the only visible bathroom in the whole universe during all of episode 1. Marzipan may have one, sure. But if Strong Bad can't get into Marzipan's house or his own bathroom, because Strong Sad's room is blocked off....then...

...how...does he....

*Jibblies*
  • edited September 2008
    There's always Coach Z's locker room.

*joins the jibblies-ing*
  • edited September 2008
    And I don't think Coach Z's locker room had "terlets". It seemed to be an office, lockers, and showers.
  • edited September 2008
    Like all the telltales, to make the game he had to cut back on bathroom privileges. (Almost) Everyone got a jar.
  • edited September 2008
    And I don't think Coach Z's locker room had "terlets". It seemed to be an office, lockers, and showers.

I could have sworn the locker room had a toilet, at least in the cartoons. :confused:
  • edited September 2008
    The only one I recall seeing a toilet in was one of the Halloween episodes. I think the one where they were trying to cure The Cheat of hiccups. I can't remember it's name though. :/
  • edited September 2008
    Maybe Bubs has a toilet? Or he could do what Coach Z did in the e-mail 2 years.

(Also joins the jibbls)
  • edited September 2008
    I would not be entirely surprised if Strong Bad takes it upon himself to water and fertilize Marzipan's garden.
  • edited September 2008
    Wait a minute...Strong Sad's Room is one floor above Strong Bad's, and has more length, lke a small hallway, but Strong Mad's Room and the Bathroom are at the end of it.And there is a window in Strong Bad's room, clearly leading outside so...
    ARCHITECTURE RELATED DRAIN BAMAGE!!!!!!!
    3-5ani-zenitora-freaks.gif
    BRAIN HURT!!!!
  • edited September 2008
    Personally, I would have liked to see the structure of the house do the same thing as the structure of the different areas in the episodes. Namely, swap around weirdly from episode to episode.
  • edited September 2008
    And in sbemail #200, Strongbad enters the room from the opposite side, where his window is in the game. It's officially a madhouse...or so they claim.
  • edited September 2008
    strong bad's computer room has mainly two layouts. one, like on email 200, with the door on the right and probably a window to the left and another, like in the game, with the opposite setup and the light switched next to the door. the cartoons make use of both. you can also notice this when other characters enter the room. homestar usually seems to come in from the right, whereas the cheat mostly enters from the left...but this also changes.
  • edited September 2008
    Wait a minute...Strong Sad's Room is one floor above Strong Bad's, and has more length, lke a small hallway, but Strong Mad's Room and the Bathroom are at the end of it.And there is a window in Strong Bad's room, clearly leading outside so...

It's possible that Strong Sad's room is a hallway, or at least used to be. He's the youngest of the three, so he would've had last dibs on rooms.

That'd fit with his character, as well, having to live in the hall.
  • edited September 2008
    Arrkhal wrote: »
    It's possible that Strong Sad's room is a hallway, or at least used to be. He's the youngest of the three, so he would've had last dibs on rooms.

That'd fit with his character, as well, having to live in the hall.

No, I'm talking about the fact that the Strong House has a hovering area where the bathroom and Strong Mad's Room is.
    Where does the toilet lead then? How has the house not collapsed? Who is the idiot who designed this strange Architecture?:confused:
  • edited September 2008
    Who is the idiot who designed this strange Architecture?:confused:
    "I'm a trendy totebag!"
    If you catch my drift. :cool:
  • edited September 2008
    I doubt Strong Bad would trust Homsar to construct a house for him.
  • edited September 2008
    I doubt Strong Bad would trust Homsar to construct a house for him.

Sb is alien mother is babbs sb was not original owner of house
  • edited September 2008
    Each part of the house like the doors and windows are on tiny yet Chuck-like turtles, constantly moving about for confussing purposes.
    The rooms are on four tiny yet Graw Mad-like rabbits, continuously changing positions to disable canon of anything relevant to the Brother's Strong household.
    The house is on concrete foundations like every other house, moron. Jeez, what did you expect, floating points?
  • edited September 2008
    I've accepted that the layout used for the games was adopted for convenience' sake and obviously is not official by any standards that anyone may or may not have. We've seen, for example, that the computer room had to be on the second floor, facing the front yard, so SB could talk to the protesters in Episode 2. Strong Mad's room is through the bathroom, which is through Strong Sad's room, so SB didn't have to be barred from entering all of them separately in Episode 1. And so forth.

Personally I like that the layout is clearly and intentionally "wrong" in the game. Like the lack of a map that shows where anything really is in relation to anything else, it keeps there from being any "right" layout that would make any of the toons that break the rules "wrong." Because we know the toons are inconsistent.
    edited September 2008
    Personally I like that the layout is clearly and intentionally "wrong" in the game. Like the lack of a map that shows where anything really is in relation to anything else, it keeps there from being any "right" layout that would make any of the toons that break the rules "wrong." Because we know the toons are inconsistent.

Embracing the inconsistencies was important to Mark when the game started out, and I'm glad that we went that way instead of trying to actually make sense of anything.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, you've accomplished that. Their house is a Giant, inverted upside down L.
    edited September 2008
    Oh, you've accomplished that. Their house is a Giant, inverted upside down L.

Is it? I guess it sorta is...

house102.jpg
  • edited September 2008
    Gu-DOH!
  • edited October 2008
    Haa haa haha ahhahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he is going to kill me ahhhhhh
  • edited October 2008
    Where does the toilet lead then? How has the house not collapsed? :
    ...Pshhhh,Floating bathrooms.
  • edited October 2008
    Oh wow. You even got the recessed lighting on the computer room ceiling. Very nice.
  • edited October 2008
    I knew there was a problem with my theory...
  • edited October 2008
    I'm a little curious where that window is.The one with the tree rubbing against it.(making it say Douglas)
  • edited October 2008
    On the wall they sliced off?
    edited October 2008
    I'm a little curious where that window is.The one with the tree rubbing against it.(making it say Douglas)

I think it's in the mystical land of "only showed up once for a joke and was never referenced again"...town.
    Ben Again wrote: »
    On the wall they sliced off?

Or that. Yeah, that's it. :)
  • edited October 2008
    Clearly, the window that Strong Bad looks out of in Episode 2 is the same window. The tree is just gone. And... the glass.

And technically, Jake, both the tree-window and the "Douglass" joke have been referenced at least once since that email, in one of the DVD menus.
  • edited October 2008
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail55.html

SB looks to the left when the tree says Douglas, so it can't be the window to the right.
  • edited October 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    house102.jpg

Aww man you blocked Strong Mad's room.

Also www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail33.html

Strong Sad's room is to the right of Strong Bad's Computer room.
    While in the game, as shown in the picture, it's on the left.
    Just showing another House problem.
  • edited October 2008
    That's an awesome picture. :D Is it okay if I put it up on the wiki?

Anyway, Email Thunder shows that Strong Bad has a door to the right of the computer, Gimmicks has him blasting straight backwards into Strong Sad's room and Environment shows the window next to his computer. He could have just moved the room around a few times. So in Email Thunder the desk faces the "fourth wall" that we can't see, and in Environment and Gimmicks it's facing the right wall.

And also, it would appear that there is a hallway leading to Strong Mad's room in Sick Day, so now you don't have to stay awake all night worrying about the poor guy having to go through Strong Sad's room and the bathroom to get to his room. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.