New details ..MUST READ

This is from ign..Telltale finally shed quite a bit of light on Tales from the Borderlands, including who we'll be playing as, what kind of a world we'll be inhabiting, and how the game will differ pretty drastically from The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. This information arrives thanks to the latest issue of OXM, given out to all of those who attended Gearbox's PAX East 2014 panel.

We know that the story will be told from two separate perspectives: Fiona, a con artist, and Rhys, a Hyperion worker. But OXM's cover story elaborated on these two, starting with the fact that the pair of leads were eventually whittled down from an initial set of five playable protagonists. The perspective of the story will automatically shift between the two of them at predetermined moments, and you'll often see the same events from their two different points of view, Rashomon-style. The story itself if being relayed in the future by Rhys and Fiona to a mysterious stranger, whom they meet near a crashed spaceship.

The OXM story also revealed how the very first interaction of the game is presented without context. You see an open briefcase of money in front of you, and a man violently ill laying right next to it. What do you do? Take the money? Help the man? Right from the get-go, Telltale is forcing the player to make decisions that focus around money, which is an important commodity in the game.
Co-creator Harrison Pink told OXM, "What we're trying to do is use money in the game as agency." For example, if you don't take the cash in this opening scenario, your options might be limited in a later conversation thanks to your lack of funds. Greed is something that Telltale aims to really entice the player with in Tales from the Borderlands. What's also interesting is that OXM learned that unlocks in the Telltale game will somehow communicate with the other proper Borderlands game, although which ones and in which capacity still remain to be seen.

Though Tales from the Borderlands will still be a Telltale game through and through, it will also be embracing it's shooter-roots. Telltale describes the gunplay in Borderlands as somewhere in the middle of what Telltale and Gearbox do.

The OXM piece also highlighted a few of the supporting characters who'll be trying to survive alongside Rhys and Sasha. Vaughn is a Hyperion accountant, and though he might be a bit of a coward, he has a brotherly relationship with Rhys. Then there's Felix, a professional counterfeiter with a slightly-rocky fatherly relationship with Fiona. Sasha is Fiona's latest mark, but despite being the youngest member of the cast, she's also the most physically capable. Sounds a bit like Tiny Tina, no? And finally, Bossanova is a bandit lord with a giant speaker in his chest who has some beef with Borderlands 2's Zer0.
Tales from the Borderlands was announced late last year, with Telltale developing the downloadable title and Gearbox consulting. It's actually pretty interesting how it came about. Gearbox also recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which takes place between Borderlands 1 and 2 and is being developed by 2K Australia.thats all

Comments

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2014

Nice find!

Also, I edited your post to fix the formatting. For a new line, you press enter twice instead of once. Doing so helps with the readability of your posts.

• Thanks

Nice find! Also, I edited your post to fix the formatting. For a new line, you press enter twice instead of once. Doing so helps with the readability of your posts.

• sounds great, can't wait to get my hands on it!

• Me too

angrykurd posted: »

sounds great, can't wait to get my hands on it!

• edited April 2014

Just a question i havent seen this mentioned anywere so il ask it :

Will this be an episodic game like evrything else telltale made or will it just ONE game since theyre working with gearbox ?

Edit: Also in the ign video is was displayed on the top something saying : Tales from the Borderlands (ps3 , xbox360 ,pc -2014)

So can we assume its coming out on these platforms ?

Its shows up at around 0:15

• The game will be episodic for sure...I'm not sure about platforms though but If I had to guess (PC,360,and PS3)

Tomi021 posted: »

Just a question i havent seen this mentioned anywere so il ask it : Will this be an episodic game like evrything else telltale made or wi

• edited April 2014

So its kind of like GTAV switch, except you don't control when the switch happens? Unless there are times when the two characters are separated, the value would be minimal.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.