Laptop Advice?

edited October 2008 in General Chat
Okay, let's get da' facts straight.My computer is 7 years old, and pretty soon it's gonna be eight.If I wanna play games or pretty much do anything on my computer besides web browsing, I'm gonna have to upgrade.Since the Wii is the only current-gen gaming system I have, and there aren't a lot of multi system games for that, I was looking at some laptops online.These are not gaming computers, just regular ones, but I would like some of you I-upgrade-my-computer-every-year PC gamers to tell me if these computers I'm looking at could play current-gen PC games.(No, I don't wanna play Crysis, so don't shift me over to some six billion dollar model.)Here's the link: http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_latitude_e5400?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
I thought this computer looked pretty good, but the price seemed too good to be true.What do you guys think about it?

Comments

• edited September 2008
    "Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD"

And that's what will keep you from playing recent games on it.

If it's gaming you're looking for, a laptop will always be quite expensive. I highly recommend building yourself a desktop with parts from Newegg. It'll run you about the same as that lappy, with much better specs.
  • edited September 2008
    That system is limited to Intel integrated graphics, which will block you from playing a lot of games.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    What games in particular do you want to play? As far as laptops go, you will generally get what you pay for.
  • edited September 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »
    What games in particular do you want to play? As far as laptops go, you will generally get what you pay for.

Unreal Tournament III, Fallout 3(when it comes out), Call of Duty 4, Starcraft 2(has that come out yet?)

Anyway, are intel graphics really outdated or something?(I don't know much about PCs, I was a console gamer until consoles started costing way too much.)
  • edited September 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I highly recommend building yourself a desktop with parts from Newegg. It'll run you about the same as that lappy, with much better specs.

What, you think I have THAT kind of work ethic?!
    :p
  • edited September 2008
    Integrated graphics cards are always very underpowered. You won't be able to run any of those you listed with that card. Two names to look for in a card: NVidia and ATI. Those are the ones that lead the industry.
  • edited September 2008
    Integrated graphics cards are always very underpowered. You won't be able to run any of those you listed with that card. Two names to look for in a card: NVidia and ATI. Those are the ones that lead the industry.

Thanks for the advice.Any pre-made computers in an at least okay price range you can direct me to?
  • edited September 2008
    What price range, exactly?
  • edited September 2008
    What price range, exactly?

$600-$900, I guess.(there's a good challenge for ya')
  • edited September 2008

it's..it's......BEAUTIFUL!!!!And with Halo 2, also!(Although it would suck paying for online play *cough cough Games for Windows Live*)

I'll have to seriously look in to that one.One question though, is a monitor included?That was never quite made clear to me.(my monitor is designed for Windows 98 and it jets out like 3 feet from the wall, and I really want a flat-panel)

EDIT: With a monitor on there it would be $909.Doesn't sound worth it.Ebay, here I come!
  • edited September 2008
    it's..it's......BEAUTIFUL!!!!And with Halo 2, also!(Although it would suck paying for online play *cough cough Games for Windows Live*)

I'll have to seriously look in to that one.One question though, is a monitor included?That was never quite made clear to me.(my monitor is designed for Windows 98 and it jets out like 3 feet from the wall, and I really want a flat-panel)

EDIT: With a monitor on there it would be $909.Doesn't sound worth it.Ebay, here I come!

To find a cheaper monitor, I hope.

I'd never buy an actual computer TOWER, guts and all, from eBay.
  • edited September 2008
    To find a cheaper monitor, I hope.

I'd never buy an actual computer TOWER, guts and all, from eBay.

No no, just a monitor.With anything more expensive than that I wouldn't trust Ebay any further than I could throw it.Which is physically impossible.
  • edited September 2008
    Looking at it further, now I want one too. :p And that's saying something, since I *hate* prebuilts.
  • edited September 2008
    Unreal Tournament III, Fallout 3(when it comes out), Call of Duty 4, Starcraft 2(has that come out yet?)

Anyway, are intel graphics really outdated or something?(I don't know much about PCs, I was a console gamer until consoles started costing way too much.)

i would suggest getting at least an 8600 or an 8800 instead of the 8400, with those games.
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, that's only one of the Paladins available. I'm sure they have one with an 8800.
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, that's only one of the Paladins available. I'm sure they have one with an 8800.

well you can customise it to have an 8800.

the 8600gt is only $26 more, and an 8800 is $101 extra, both are very good value i believe
  • edited October 2008
    Wow, didn't see that. That's a good deal indeed.
  • edited October 2008
    Wow, didn't see that. That's a good deal indeed.

their cusomisation is easily one of the best i have ever seen, up there with alienware but better priced, if only they would have uk dealers
  • edited October 2008
    buy a Macbook
  • edited October 2008
    dimomarg wrote: »
    buy a Macbook

he wants it for games hence not a mac
  • edited October 2008
    I was considering getting the soon to be released Acer Aspire 8930G, but I've decided to go with a stationary PC instead.

Anyway, here's a look at it.. seems pretty sweet in my opinion -

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9034&Itemid=73
Sign in to comment in this discussion.