A technical question about the character outlines/contours.

This is a rather geeky question, but I work with 3D graphics and so it's been nagging at me:

Are the character contours made by duplicating the character geometry, sizing it up slightly (along the normals) and flipping the normals of the contour geometry (and changing the material for the contour geometry, naturally)? It sort of looks that way on some characters, like Strong Sad's chin; where the contour geometry for his head would (if my theory is indeed correct) intersect with the geometry of his ample belly.
I would be very pleased if someone on the team could satiate my rampant curiosity. :D

Also, I have enjoyed the first two episodes very much, just as I have enjoyed Sam & Max. Please continue entertaining us, Miss Telltale Games.

EDIT: I suppose an outline rendered via a shader intersecting with geometry would give a similar appearance. How will I sleep at night, not knowing?!

Comments

• edited October 2008
    * Head a splodes*
  • edited October 2008
    I think it's less extensive to just flip the geometry than to add outlines using shaders. And I believe the King of Town's beard was a sort of indication they used the former.
  • edited October 2008
    I think that's how the outlines are done - that's how I'd do them :D
  • edited October 2008
    Noceur wrote: »
    This is a rather geeky question,

You are in the right place then.
  • edited October 2008
    You are in the right place then.

:D

It's probably less heavy on the graphics card to use flipped geometry than using shaders, as mentioned. Also less reworking needed on the engine.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.