Any chances of an original Telltale adventure not off a license?

edited October 2008 in General Chat
I remember the old days of Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games, and even though some of them were generic, we got these completely new worlds to explore. However, I have been noticing that a lot of Telltale games are based off licenses. Bone I think was off a comic series, and most of us know where Sam and Max, Strong Bad, and Wallace and Gromit are from.

Do you have any plans on doing something completely original? I'll admit that I loved exploring the world of Sam and Max and Free Country, USA, but anything new?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    For now, they're building up the Telltale name with known franchises to attract people, and in the future when Telltale is big, they plan to start series (the plural) with their own characters.

Did I get that right, someone who knows better?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Yep, Kedri, you're right. We'd love to do an original series at some point, and of course there are always ideas floating around, but for now we're focused on doing games based on licenses.

It's worth pointing out that working on licensed games is fun when you get to pick the license (it means we end up getting to work with characters, worlds, and creators we like and respect), and when one of your goals is to make games based on licenses which actually feel like those licenses (When has Batman killed like 80 thugs in pursuit of someone? When did Shrek have a go-kart race? etc.). We do games based on licenses, but it's something we do by choice. Telltale isn't a dot off to the side of a huge media empire, cranking out games basically as an arm of the marketing department. We choose the licenses we want to adapt into games, and work very closely with the creative people responsible for those worlds existing in the first place (Steve Purcell, the Chapmans, all the folks at Aardman). While I (like most people, I imagine) would like to work on something born entirely by people I work with, it's an amazing pleasure to be able to work on games in the worlds of Sam & Max, Homestar Runner, and Wallace & Gromit (three things I loved before Telltale existed).
  • edited October 2008
    Well, I've been pushing around a pitch and some scripts to local animation studios. I could throw all the stuff at you folks if interested.
  • edited October 2008
    I really do think that's one of the greatest things I love about TTG's productions... I love that the games they create from licenses aren't cheap knock-off titles meant to milk a brand for every last penny, nor are they strictly carbon copies of the source material. I love the attention to detail that is placed into the game world and coming up with clever scenarios that are fun to play... such careful treatment of the license can breathe new life into it.

That said, I too would love to see TTG eventually create their own IP. Partially it's because I love to explore new stories and worlds rather than ones I've seen before... but it's also because I'm excited to see the new, creative ideas the team can come up with. I know TTG has a lot of great creators and visionaries on staff and I'm sure there's some great ideas waiting in the wings for their moment.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    Well, I've been pushing around a pitch and some scripts to local animation studios. I could throw all the stuff at you folks if interested.

That wouldn't really be an original Telltale game then, would it? :)
  • edited October 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    I would do that too, except I don't have a script or a local animation studio.
  • edited October 2008
    Those of you with scripts: ever try learning art/programming? I have a game idea or two of my own that I'm going to attempt to make independently.
  • edited October 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    That wouldn't really be an original Telltale game then, would it? :)

But if you hire that fine gentleman with the script to be part of the Telltale family, then Telltale entity can proclaim the IP is originally created by Telltale!
  • edited October 2008
    It'd be cool to explore an entirely new world. Although I'm quite happy going around Free Country USA and Sam and Max for now. Just please don't get out of comedy. I like serious adventure games like The Dig, Loom, and I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, but I prefer comedic games more because there are no other funny games out there besides Telltale's.
  • edited October 2008
    Joe2 wrote: »
    Those of you with scripts: ever try learning art/programming? I have a game idea or two of my own that I'm going to attempt to make independently.

I'm not good with these crazy new technologies; crazy kids with your VHS players and cordless phones!
  • edited October 2008
    Actually, I'm working on a comic series, (somewhat ameatuer, started in 8th grade ^_^), but a game of it would be amazingly pleasing! I'm a senior in high school right now, and in college I plan on learning animation, so I can make a cartoon of sorts of my comic. Sorry, I get all exited when I talk about it. :D
  • edited October 2008
    Something I learned through the years of working in this god-forsaken industry is that the writing is everything. Good writing can support even the simplest of drawings, but the best drawings in the world can't help a poor plot (Unless you work at Disney).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.