Sam & Max for Wii hm...

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
I think putting Sam & Max on the Wii is a great idea but.......What if you have it on PC. I think it would be cool but how would you release it? By episodes? Or seasons? What is your solution to having it on PC and Wii without spending a lot?

Comments

• edited September 2006
    Why would you want/need to play the same game on 2 different systems?

Just pick the one that suits you best and buy the release for that system, just like you would for any other cross-platform release.

I've posted the remainder of this at AG, so sorry if you read it twice...

So: Sam & Max adventuregaming on the Wii, eh? Everyone seems very excited about the potential, but...

Will it be practical to play it on anything other than sitting 3 feet away from a a huge, HD TV?

Won't small objects get lost on the screen when you're sitting 10 feet away, and how much 'wobble' would there be in using the controller to precicely move the cursor?

I guess it's all potentially doable and able to be played, as everyone's so positive about the idea. But I do wonder if the gimmick of being able to play on your TV set / Wii won't be offset with frustration issues stemming from cursor control and reading text / object hunting?

I can read those hilarious signs in Boscos on my nice 21" monitor a foot-and-a-half from my face, but it'd be near impossible to make out anything more than a blur on my TV while sitting on my couch.
  • edited September 2006
    Won't small objects get lost on the screen when you're sitting 10 feet away, and how much 'wobble' would there be in using the controller to precicely move the cursor?
    Well, there will be an Internet browser on the Wii, and I doubt that will be unusable due to small font sizes. I usually have no problem reading things on a TV screen, and I doubt I'll have any troubles discerning small objects. As for precisely moving the cursor, I think that shouldn't be a problem at all - the pointer will be used by many games, and Nintendo would be screwed if they didn't implement it well. Oh, and who sits 10 feet from the screen when playing console games anyway? :-/
    I can read those hilarious signs in Boscos on my nice 21" monitor a foot-and-a-half from my face, but it'd be near impossible to make out anything more than a blur on my TV while sitting on my couch.
    I think you may need a pair of glasses. ;)
  • edited September 2006
    I'd love for Wii to have S&M.

:D
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006

Any more impossible than making out the visual gags in a Simpsons episode? (I'd think Bosco's would be easier because you can control where the character goes and make him stand still so you can read, unlike a TV show where the screen flashes by and if you blink, you miss it...)

EDIT: To answer the initial question, the possibility of this happening shouldn't prevent anyone who's interested in Sam & Max from checking out the game on PC. We're way too early in the planning stages for someone who's excited about the game to ignore it on PC because they're banking on a Wii release.
  • edited September 2006
    Personally I'd be more interested in the Wii version than the PC version simply on the merit of not having to subscribe to GameTap. Their service is overall a great idea but I have just about every game their commercials show, thus I have no reason when theres a stack of 70 Genesis games in my closet. I will most definately be buying the final collection on PC, shortterm I'd rather the Wii, especially if it can be adapted well and given some sort of bonus for being on that particular platform. IE don't let it become like Doom3 and Half-Life 2 ports for the XBox.

As for being able to see the jokes and such, the Wii is 480p, given you aren't playing it on a 13" black and white screen from 89 15ft away I don't see it being an issue. I've played the original Sam and Max with SCUMMVM on an XBox and it's absolutely superb. 20" TV without HD of any sort. Of course the Wii has a more mouse like device than the analog sticks of an XBox, a much more fitting device IMO.
  • edited September 2006
    Their service is overall a great idea but I have just about every game their commercials show, thus I have no reason when theres a stack of 70 Genesis games in my closet.

The commercials barely show anything. Gametap has nearly 700 games, most of which aren't advertised. Every week there are at least five games added. For instance, they will be adding The Last Express, Darkfall, and other adventures in the next update. For a list of some adventure games on Gametap: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24684308&union_id=936
  • edited September 2006
    TellTale and Sam&Max have gotten quite a boost in coverage with this Wii thing. I've read news about it on most gaming media pages.
  • edited September 2006
    Personally I'd be more interested in the Wii version than the PC version simply on the merit of not having to subscribe to GameTap.

You don't need GameTap to play Sam and max. Heck, GameTap is only available in the USA.

The game(s) will be downloadable from telltale's site 2 weeks after their GameTap debut.

And thanks for the feedback on the Wii. I guess wii'll just gave to wait and see how it pans out. Brilliant free-publicity move though, whatever happens, given the press the comments from Telltale have generated. ;)
  • edited September 2006
    Personally I'd be more interested in the Wii version than the PC version.

Why? I don't think it would flow as well. Do you?
  • edited September 2006
    TellTale and Sam&Max have gotten quite a boost in coverage with this Wii thing. I've read news about it on most gaming media pages.

they have havent they..my friends who arent even sam and max fans are e-mailing me abt it.. looks like a lot of people are excited at the prospect
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    The coverage has been incredible (and very unexpected!)

The thing that seems to be lost in translation in many of the articles is that we ARE making a Sam & Max game for PC, which will be out very soon. Half the people seem to think we're talking about bringing Hit the Road to the Wii.

Still, anything that sparks new interest in Sam & Max is good, especially since someone who wants to learn more can find out more pretty easily.
  • edited September 2006
    Even if GameTaps library extends to every game, past, present, and East Germany I still wouldn't buy into it (being my collection is rather massive from playing games over the years and pretty much have the cream of the crop), and I do know the game will be available for download off Telltales site. I just don't know in what form or how being that I never looked into how Bone was done. I was very wary of steam when it was new and even am now, especially considering valve ate my original key and wouldn't give back my account. I want to make it clear, I will buy the games in their entirety, but probably the final box set made available so I can sit down and play them one after another.

As for the Wii Vs PC comparison, I don't know how it would flow on the Wii and would assume it would flow similar to how SCUMMVM does on consoles on a TV, but differently due to the Wiimote being more mouse like than an analog stick. Really I think it would fit the whole "we're different than those guys" motif Nintendo seems to want.
  • edited September 2006
    Gametap? The Last Express? Hey, that's not cool. I just bought The Last Express from eBay for 31 pounds! Damn you gametap, damn you and your love for finding games I want/payed a lot for and then refusing me the ability to sign up to your service.

Oh well, at least all my games are in large decorative cardboard boxes. And they aren't all expensive. Talky version of Sam and Max with hint book and everything, with stickers still on the box? $7NZ. Grim Fandango in perfect condition with box and everything? $5NZ. Of course, it would've helped if I was older and was around when these games were first released (coincidently, it's my birthday tomorrow. Woo!), rather than hunting around for second hand copies. However, I am amassing quite a collection of excellent old games. And I'm getting better at finding bargains.
  • edited September 2006
    Um most tvs have connections for PCs also.

People can play computer games on their HD widescreens already without needing to use their "wii wii"s.
  • edited September 2006
    Um most tvs have connections for PCs also.

People can play computer games on their HD widescreens already without needing to use their "wii wii"s.

Really? Some of them do? hmm...........(It means i'm thinking)

P.S. Never NEVER say "wii wii"s again. E-V-E-R!!!
  • edited September 2006
    Yeah you need to have a graphics card that has an HD tv out or a regular tv out depending on what kind of tv you're going to be plugging into.

But it's also a good idea to research and see what kinds of tvs your graphic card has drivers for.

I also advise getting a wireless laser mouse and keyboard.

Rocko's Modern Life--
    "Repeat after me Wii Wii's"
  • edited September 2006
    Rocko's Modern Life--
    "Repeat after me Wii Wii's"
    Haha, yeah, I made a video out of that, but YouTube deleted my account.
  • edited September 2006
    Youtube doesn't seem to like everyone on this forum very much does it? Then again, it could be because we constantly upload videos which have copyrights on them.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.