ATTN: Anyone who writes in Logo.

edited October 2008 in General Chat
Hey guys. I need some help with a game I'm making using Microworlds 2.0.
I want to make save files, but I have no idea how to. I plan on making my game really big, so giving you codes to get back unlocked stuff just won't cut it. Can someone help me?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Logo? With the turtle? pu pd? Man, I haven't used that since primary school in the 80's. No, I tell a lie, we used it in Uni in the Fractal Geometry class (Logo implemented in Pascal). Drew some pretty ferns :)
  • edited October 2008
    Um, yeah. With the turtle. But I need an answer...
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Get ready for a lot of bogus answers before you get a real one.

My experience with Logo (and programming languages in general) is pretty much minimal, but my impression is that it's a limiting system used mainly to teach computer science fundamentals, not making games. Creating a save/load function may be a nightmare of workarounds that would take a long time to figure out, time that might be better spent learning an object oriented programming language.
  • edited October 2008
    Ok. I'm about to start learning ActionScript thru Flash CS3. I can make save files with Flash, right?
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Sure.
  • edited October 2008
    Oh, good. As long as I can make as many pages as I want (MicroWorlds has a 20 page limit) then I'll be set. If anyone wants to check out some of my stuff I've made, it's on my website.
  • edited October 2008
    Ok. I'm about to start learning ActionScript thru Flash CS3. I can make save files with Flash, right?

(Sighs) As soon as he shifted to ActionScript I cringed... it may sound elitist, but the best thing you can do if you want to be involved in game development from a programming standpoint is to learn about object oriented programming. When I went to my vocational high school, we started off learning BASIC. For our freshman year final projects EVERYONE except me wanted to make a game. Some of them turned out rather well for being done in BASIC in less than 3 months, but a few of my fellow students' ambitions were too great for a procedural programming language. Instead of making a game, I played around with using software interrupts to enable me to use SuperVGA video modes in DOS, with display resolutions up to 1024 x 768 and colors up to 16.8mill. Normally DOS video modes can go up to 640 x 480 and 256 colors, but not at the same time. Using this higher resolution and color clarity, I made a BMP file viewer that displayed bitmap files in full color in DOS. I've gotten off topic again... what I really want to say is that a programmer should always strive to improve his skills and expand his abilities.
  • edited October 2008
    Um...yeah. I think I'm gonna learn BASIC soon. But I make big stuff with Logo. Go to my site and see the stuff. I'm gonna load something new there today or tommorrow, and it's the best yet. Wait for that, I guess.
  • edited October 2008
    Ooh... Flash... fun times...

Personally, if you're looking for a good toolkit for making games, I've had a lot of fun learning with C# and the XNA Libraries. C# looks a lot like Java and is fairly easy to learn. The XNA libraries are also quite powerful, handle 2D and 3D, is relatively simple to get used to, and can deploy to the Xbox 360 (for a fee). Anyway, the toolkit is free, so it's probably worth checking out.

I hope this helps!
  • edited October 2008
    I may try that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.