Loved the game...one point of interest....

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
i thought the game did justice to Hit the Road and gets a really big thumbs up from me...i only have one problem with it...

The sound. NOT the sound track or voice overs...but the actual quality of the sound...it seemed very very low quality and had a high ting in it...very thin sounding...

i have an X-Fi and very high quality speakers and headphones, and everything else sounds great.

still the game overcomes all of that and the sound track and voices are top notch...really wondering if anyone else noticed...

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Maybe they had to degrade the sound to make downloading it more palatable.
  • edited October 2006
    I didn't notice any low quality sound.
  • edited October 2006
    If you play the soundtrack backwards it tells you to kill your family
  • edited October 2006
    Maybe they had to degrade the sound to make downloading it more palatable.

...had that thought also...
  • edited November 2006
    zangler wrote: »
    The sound. NOT the sound track or voice overs...but the actual quality of the sound...it seemed very very low quality and had a high ting in it...very thin sounding...

Yeah, I'm afraid the voices don't sound too good - I'm running an M-audio Revolution through decent speakers. Most noticable on Max - some sort of high frequency modulation on the voice - was some filtering missed off the sampling? Quite distracting really.
  • edited November 2006
    thats weird I have some high quality speakers and didnt notice any problems
  • edited November 2006
    Hero1 wrote: »
    thats weird I have some high quality speakers and didnt notice any problems

same, sounds like an incompatibility issue.
  • edited November 2006
    The sound has definitely been highly compressed in order to make the download as small as possible, and it shows. The audio quality is worse than Hit The Road from all those years ago...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Hey guys, just so you know, the sound quality's going up (at least a bit) in Episode 2.
  • edited November 2006
    from the very first line i noticed the poor sound quality but after a while I forgot about it, until Sybal started talking and I noticed it more. Please up the quality Telltale, the voice acting is superb for the most part its a shame to do it a dis service with poor quality audio, we can deal with an extra 10meg d/l next time ;)
  • edited November 2006
    That's the only complaint I had too! I noticed from the first line Max said.

I love this game so far, but I'm leaving now. Getting late here, but I'll be back tomorrow :D
  • edited November 2006
    I didn't notice any sound issues, except some of the lines got a bit cut off. Sounded fine to me... but then I have rather a bad sound card anyway, maybe I'm just used to it.
  • edited November 2006
    I didn't notice any problems in the demo and I have put the sound quite loud..
  • edited November 2006
    Up the voice quality ALOT. I download at 500-700kb/s with my cable modem.

Maybe have different download options? Or is this a Telltalegames bandwidth issue?
  • edited November 2006
    The sound was good, I didn't notice anything wrong:confused:
  • edited November 2006
    Try talking to Sybil. Her voice quality is "hissy".

Maybe you have cheap audio equipment? I didn't notice a difference until I bought my new headphones.
  • edited November 2006
    I also have an X-Fi coupled with Soundworks speakers and Sennheiser headphones (Yes im an audiophile).

The sound quality was pretty bad in places. I cringed every time Sybil said a word with an S in it.
    On the flipside the music was pretty good quality.
  • RTFRTF
    edited November 2006
    I think some of the sound issues are coming from the production/mixing phase, not just as a result of file compression. (I do some amateur music production and am familiar with how much work it takes to achieve a "commercial" sound!)

For example, one of the first things I noticed was that the sub-bass frequencies of the intro were very overemphasized on my speaker system - while I know that my speakers have a boomy bass, this could have been fixed by cutting <~60-80hz out of the mix because those frequencies are only useful if you're dancing or want a massive explosion sound effect.

The overemphasis of sss-sss sounds is an significant artifact of people's voices through microphones. Music producers traditionally used several passes of audio level compression to "De-ess" the sound. Nowadays there are audio plugins that do the same job with less work.

I think more could probably have been done to bring out clarity in the soundtrack, but on the whole I was still satisfied with the sound and only noticed major annoyances in a few places.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.