I didn't exactly like the new game.

I don't know how best to state it, but it just felt that Battle of the Bands wasn't really fufilling. It was basically a series of fetch quests tied together, and Strong Bad was the AWESOME FEDEX OFFICER...I know that adventure games are usually composed of fetch quests, but it just felt the Fetch Quests was turned onto the Max. The jokes were decent, but it felt that the jokes was basically 'payment' for me doing what was basically 'busy work'...and, er, I hate work. That why I play games.
And the ending of the game was really an unfunny slap to my face. Really was. I'm sorry, but I really did do all that work just to play the Limozeen Defender Clone, and to find out that Strong Sad could have fixed the Fun Machine in about 5 seconds...was an upsetting shocker.

Now...it was a great joke if somebody was playing the game for the sake of playing the game, if the Limozeen Defender Clone was nothing more than a McGuffin and we never had any chance of playing it. But...it wasn't a joke to me. I really did feel upset that I did all that 'work' for nothing.

Now, I loved Ep. 1 and Ep. 2 (especially Ep. 2 where you fought against the KOT). They were great. But Ep. 3 didn't really feel oh-so-great. It was decent, but...it felt like a decline compared to those classics. The mini-games have the potential to keep people liking your game. You took out
Teen Girl Squad
but luckily, Limozzen Defender Clone filled in the void nicely. But I don't think a major game should rely on Mini-Games to keep interest...which is a shame.

I think you may be able to recover, with the release of Dangersque 3. And the game was still somewhat fun. I just am a little disappointed, just all.

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Silent, about the ending...
    You DID have to go through the "work" to unlock the game. It's not like you could walk over to Strong Sad during the progress of the adventure and say "Here's my FunMachine, fix it." The joke wasn't the reality, within the game's parameters there WAS no way to get the game working without going through Bubs's convoluted scam. That it was fixed by either Bubs or Strong Sad doesn't matter, it's your reward for completing the adventure.

Also, fetch quests? What do you call having to re-align the antenna on the Blubb-o's Whale? Figuring out how to frame Limozeen for environmental damage? Getting Coach Z out of his house, or getting Homestar to sing the right lyrics?

There are tons of difficult and fun puzzles in this game. None of them reach the level of puzzle awesomeness of the last episode's final puzzle, but the rest of the episode was puzzle-tastic!

"Fetch quest-tastic", for me, describes the first half of episode 1.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    I'm not going to argue with your critique of the puzzles (to each his own),
    but you can think of the end in this way: maybe the cheezedoodle was only half of the problem. Maybe if you pulled it out in act one, the machine would have still been broken (likely by the doodle itself) and would have still needed repair from Bubs. Anyway, that's just one theory.

Oh also,
    the Homestar food song is probably my favorite puzzle we have ever done. So they aren't *all* fetch quests!
  • edited October 2008
    Huh, really? The
    Homestar Food Puzzle was interesting and pretty fun, but the song itself was the highlight. As a puzzle, it was pretty good, sure. But as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't a GREAT puzzle. But then again, you know. To each their own, as you said.
  • edited October 2008
    Oh also,
    the Homestar food song is probably my favorite puzzle we have ever done. So they aren't *all* fetch quests!

The song's pretty nice, and the puzzle's also creative, so that's one of the highlights of the game. Still, the rest of the game...eh.

Of course, as you said, to each their own. Hopefully, I'd enjoy the other games better.
    And I'm going to accept Will's theory about the cheesedoodle breaking the machine. Just to make me feel better. :)
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, I liked it, but why was TGS taken out? And why
    was there no code for Limozeen: HBO?
  • edited October 2008
    As I said in my manuals page, I liked having
    a manual that focused more on content than codes or special moves, especially since last episode's extremely dull manual.
  • edited October 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Like a buffollo wing!!!
    Yeah, I liked it, but why was TGS taken out?
    it wasn't exactly taken out,it was just more like a cut scene.In my oppinion the
    TGS meets Limozeen
    was extremely awsome!!!
  • edited October 2008
    I just wish you could watch it again...
  • edited October 2008
    Silent wrote: »
    I don't know how best to state it, but it just felt that Battle of the Bands wasn't really fufilling. It was basically a series of fetch quests tied together, and Strong Bad was the AWESOME FEDEX OFFICER...I know that adventure games are usually composed of fetch quests, but it just felt the Fetch Quests was turned onto the Max. The jokes were decent, but it felt that the jokes was basically 'payment' for me doing what was basically 'busy work'...and, er, I hate work. That why I play games.
    And the ending of the game was really an unfunny slap to my face. Really was. I'm sorry, but I really did do all that work just to play the Limozeen Defender Clone, and to find out that Strong Sad could have fixed the Fun Machine in about 5 seconds...was an upsetting shocker.

Now...it was a great joke if somebody was playing the game for the sake of playing the game, if the Limozeen Defender Clone was nothing more than a McGuffin and we never had any chance of playing it. But...it wasn't a joke to me. I really did feel upset that I did all that 'work' for nothing.

Now, I loved Ep. 1 and Ep. 2 (especially Ep. 2 where you fought against the KOT). They were great. But Ep. 3 didn't really feel oh-so-great. It was decent, but...it felt like a decline compared to those classics. The mini-games have the potential to keep people liking your game. You took out
    Teen Girl Squad
    but luckily, Limozzen Defender Clone filled in the void nicely. But I don't think a major game should rely on Mini-Games to keep interest...which is a shame.

I think you may be able to recover, with the release of Dangersque 3. And the game was still somewhat fun. I just am a little disappointed, just all.

1:
    The ending was not a joke, indeed I was a bit ticked to but you played it, and it's over.
    But like Will said
    There could be more then one problems with the Fun Machine, the fact that Bubs fixed it and said he found no problems means there was something wrong will it.
    2: Mini Games are one of the many things that make this game fun
    3: Recover?! Telltale and the Brother Chaps did fine, but that's my opinion.
  • edited October 2008
    If you considering having to play games as "work", I question why you are buying the SBCG4AP series. Even if Strong Sad could have fixed it quickly, so what? It was just a little joke at the end of the episode. Don't take it seriously, man!
  • edited October 2008
    That's what I was almost saying in my own way!
  • edited November 2008
    Dude, if playing this game was such a loathsomely difficult drudging experience why don't you use the walkthrough to basically skip through all the puzzles?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.