Making sense of the ramblings of "Agent W". (spoilers abound!)

Okay, so has anyone noticed that the Drive Thru Whale actually gives subtle hints to the solutions of the puzzles in Episode 4? I haven't been paying close enough attention to tell if he's been doing this all along or not, but I just noticed that many of his saying aren't complete nonsense!

For example:

"Turn around, the Terrarium's been flooded." means "behind you is the shark pond."

"No more games. I'll take your rock, and beat you with it." is a blatent reference to the solution of the RPB game: forcing Perducci to use his rock, taking it, and using it to win the game.

"On a sunny day, don't forget to bling out your power tools" means "When you're on the sun (on a sunny day) use the diamond (don't forget to bling) on the giant drill (out your power tools).

Have any of you noticed any other sense that the Drive Thru Whale makes or has made in the past?

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Yes, he actually predicted So-and-So's death in TGS meets Limozeen.
    "Backing up may result in severe liver damage."
  • edited November 2008
    Some of his lines in every episode are hints to puzzles in said episode.
  • edited November 2008
    Some of his lines in every episode are hints to puzzles in said episode.

I thought so. I just never noticed before, and I thought the one about using the dimond on the drill while on the sun was pretty clever.
  • edited November 2008
    Here is what the whale says, and what the whale Means.

"Pick up your Le burger and wrench fries and leave the tulip on the counter." "Please, stay the way you are" - (Clues for the sultry buttons affair.)

"No more games, I'll take your rock and beat you with it." - (Could either be for the card game, or for the box on the photo booth.)

"When in Rome, show off whatcha got." "That'll be 2000 yen." - (Clues for the informant puzzle.)

"On a sunny day, don't forget to bling out your power tools" - (It's a clue for the solar drill puzzle.)

"Turn around, the terrarium's been flooded." - (Since a terrarium is a type of greenhouse, this is a clue for getting Cutesy Buttons hair.)

"Tame your hunger monster, try our half hearted taco meal." - (This is a clue for defeating the monster.)

So, what do i win?
  • edited November 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    Here is what the whale says, and what the whale Means.

"Pick up your Le burger and wrench fries and leave the tulip on the counter." "Please, stay the way you are" - (Clues for the sultry buttons affair.)

"No more games, I'll take your rock and beat you with it." - (Could either be for the card game, or for the box on the photo booth.)

"When in Rome, show off whatcha got." "That'll be 2000 yen." - (Clues for the informant puzzle.)

"On a sunny day, don't forget to bling out your power tools" - (It's a clue for the solar drill puzzle.)

"Turn around, the terrarium's been flooded." - (Since a terrarium is a type of greenhouse, this is a clue for getting Cutesy Buttons hair.)

"Tame your hunger monster, try our half hearted taco meal." - (This is a clue for defeating the monster.)

So, what do i win?

You win a new nickname: Professor List-O-Manic

So, I'm sure our viewers would love to know, now that you're the grand champion of our game show, what are you going to do with your winnings?
  • edited November 2008
    another one is in Ep. 1
    "You can't get ahead until you get a head."
  • edited November 2008
    Wow. That's really cool. I always thought he was just a funny nonsensical character, like Homsar or Senor Cardgage.
  • edited November 2008
    Wow. That's really cool. I always thought he was just a funny nonsensical character, like Homsar or Senor Cardgage.

Congratulations, metalkombat, you just made me feel better about myself by making me realize I wasn't the only one who hadn't noticed it before. Thanx! And yes, it IS really cool. Isn't it?
  • edited November 2008
    Ugly Bird wrote: »
    Congratulations, metalkombat, you just made me feel better about myself by making me realize I wasn't the only one who hadn't noticed it before. Thanx! And yes, it IS really cool. Isn't it?

Well, you're the one who started the thread, so really, you were one the first to notice it. I'd have to say that's pretty good. I would have never noticed it by myself. So don't feel like you should have seen it earlier; most of us didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to us!

(Yes, I do kind of want to be a psychiatrist someday. Right now, I'm trying to determine whether or not my friend has depression or not. Sadly, thats pretty hard to do over the computer, when you haven't seen them in a while.)
  • edited November 2008
    The whole point is to make it seem like nonsense until you play through a second time and realize the meaning.
  • edited November 2008
    The whole point is to make it seem like nonsense until you play through a second time and realize the meaning.

I am going to make sure and USE the Whale's sayings in order to solve the puzzles in episode 5, Muahahaha! I mean, even if you're right and that is the MAIN reason Telltale put the coded messages in there, Tester Scot said they were HINTS, and I'm sure there have been people who got an epiphany about a puzzle by talking to the whale.
  • edited November 2008
    ...and I'm sure there have been people who got an epiphany about a puzzle by talking to the whale.
    People who promptly curled up into a ball and whimpered, feeling their tenuous grip on reality slipping away.
  • edited November 2008
    This is the greatest thread EVER!
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008

While this is generally how the Whale lines get interpretted in the end, even cryptic hints can still guide players mid-game. On my first 101 run through, "you can't get ahead until you get a head" made the light bulb go off for me :)
  • edited November 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »
    While this is generally how the Whale lines get interpretted in the end, even cryptic hints can still guide players mid-game. On my first 101 run through, "you can't get ahead until you get a head" made the light bulb go off for me :)

Thank you, my good man, for being awesome and defending my oppinion and showing the world that people other than me also sometimes disagree with Dangerzone.
  • edited December 2008
    I am going to make sure and USE the Whale's sayings in order to solve the puzzles in episode 5, Muahahaha!

they'll probably make sure it's only random jibberish in episode 5 now that you've said that...

...no hints at all...

...lol.
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, Telltale likes to do that sort of thing a lot.
  • edited December 2008
    Or, what if they add clues to have you do the wrong thing and then everyone's like "I'm doing what the whale told me to do, but it's not working! There must be some error in the code or something." And then people would be on the forum complaining (because that's what they do best) and the TellTale people would be snickering about how we all think we're so smart for figuring out the whale...
  • edited December 2008
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    Or, what if they add clues to have you do the wrong thing and then everyone's like "I'm doing what the whale told me to do, but it's not working! There must be some error in the code or something." And then people would be on the forum complaining (because that's what they do best) and the TellTale people would be snickering about how we all think we're so smart for figuring out the whale...

Yeah YEAH OR... they'll make it so that when you talk to the whale for the first time he just turns into a porcupine and runs away. So then when everyone comes onto the forum and says "Telltale, what's the deal?" they'll all get to laugh at us and say "ha ha ha, you're so dumb, if you had only talked to the empty space where the whale USED to be (recieving nothing but static) and then dug a hole there and then placed Trogdor's beefy arm into the hole and then placed the lighter into Trogdor's beefy arm and then talked to that mess, THEN you would have gotten brilliantly convoluted hints. SUCKERS!" and then we would have all been like, "well... that was rude."

Telltale... please do that. It would just be so funny. And a week later, everyone would still love you, after they got over how rude it was.
  • edited December 2008
    The best possible case is if Strong Bad figures out that the whale can be useful, which naturally jinxes the situation. For example:

Strong Bad: You know, I've been thinking. Some of the stuff you've been saying actually made sense later on. I think you've been trying to help me out all this time! Got any more hints, mysterious help whale?

Whale: Not today, my other friend. Please ask your inner mammal.

<Whale slowly takes off into space like a rocket, playing its jolly tune all the while>
  • edited December 2008
    That'll probably be in 5's extended. And then I'd expect him to reappear BEHIND Strong bad and say "Just kidding, Sever your leg, or I'll shoot you!" and then strong bad yelling and falling into a coma and you have to redo the whole game...

Or maybe not.
  • edited December 2008
    another one is in Ep. 1
    "You can't get ahead until you get a head."

The only Hint from that one that was so hilarious I currently use it as a quote practically every day; "When the End Times come, we shall all dance the Conga of the Apocalypse."
    So deliciously random, yet so informative and deep... It actually sounds like something from some insane cult's Bible or something.
  • edited December 2008
    So, I don't think the whale's lines are hints at all in 8-bit is enough. Does anyone here have any creative interpretations of the whales lines? And in case you didn't realize it, the whale only has actual lines in the very first part of the game, before the video game world merges with reality.
  • edited December 2008
    I know I recognized some of the hints in Strong Badia the Free - I can only remember the one where he says "Immolate your brother, please." It was hilarious and also hinted that you had to set Strong Sad's stuff on fire.
  • edited December 2008
    The first conversation you have with him actually contains two shout outs to puzzles in the first season of Sam and Max. (FYI: The first Superball, and fake mental disorder puzzles.)

The rest is just non sequitur. (or maybe I have not recognized the references yet.)
  • edited December 2008
    The first conversation you have with him actually contains two shout outs to puzzles in the first season of Sam and Max. (FYI: The first Superball, and fake mental disorder puzzles.)

The rest is just non sequitur. (or maybe I have not recognized the references yet.)

Wow, you're right! That's amazing. I choose to believe that the Telltale team saw my posts and purposely made the whale not give away any hints to the puzzles in THIS game, just so I wouldn't be able to do what I said and USE the hints to solve the puzzles. I choose to believe this because it makes me feel important and influential.
  • edited December 2008
    Of course, it could be that you're making what the whale says make sense in your head alone.
  • edited January 2009
    Episode one,before getting homestars head: You cant get ahead,without a head.
  • edited January 2009
    According to the wiki, the noises it makes in 8-BiE are sound tests.
  • edited January 2009
    it would be funny if he was like "tame your hunger monster, try our half hearted meal! hint hint hint hint"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.