Check out Sam & Max trailer!

edited May 2006 in Sam & Max
For those who hadn't noticed yet, the trailer is now live on snm.telltalegames.com!

If it happens to hitch on your PC, let it play all the way through one time. It will play smoothly for you the next times through.

Downloadable versions will be available on Monday!

- Joel

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I'll be the first to say I don't like Sam's voice. It sounds too... human. Somehow listening to it doesn't make me think of Sam, rather the actor talking.

Considering the FAQ released just days ago says you don't yet have the voices nailed this hopefully means that Sam's definitive voice won't be the one in the trailer.

EDIT: After watching it an additional couple of times, I think it's the lack of emotion that disturbs me with Sam's voice. Max on the other hand is great.
  • edited May 2006
    I have to say this is a very decent trailer. I can let this voice acting slip as long as they still got the decent humor.
  • edited May 2006
    Both voices are pretty decent sound-alikes, but in some spots they seem too "read-y". If these are the actual final voices, they're going to need some good voice direction, but I think they could work! :)
  • edited May 2006
    I'm not sure, but I think they'll be great.

Is it my imagination, or have I heard the guy playing Max before?

In the Bone games perhaps? It does sound slightly familiar...
  • edited May 2006
    Looking good guys. I like. B-)
  • edited May 2006
    The thing that makes this so much sweeter than the bone franchise is the liveliness of the characters. I mean just look at Max in that trailer, doing all kinds of subtle funny things. Keeps you constantly smiling! I hope they do that kind of stuff in the game itself, even when idle.

I loves it! Though I still disagree on Sam's voice but it's becoming less and less bad by each viewing. :)
  • edited May 2006
    I agree with you, Sam just doesn't sound right.

And for the trailer, it didn't really reveal anything about the game itself. Just that it would be released episodically on GameTap.

Hopefully more info will be released soon.
  • edited May 2006
    Loving it. Absolutely loving it.

And the voices sound perfectly fine to me...
  • edited May 2006
    Whew, I thought I was the only one who doesn't like Sam's voice. Max is okay, I think, although both voices will take some getting used to... I know the problem: Sam talks too much through his teeth.
  • edited May 2006
    Is it only me? Or am I seeing some props from bone in the green swirling thingie scene?

oh, and the voice actor sound great. and the trailer is generally amazing, and.. and... and I want this game NOW!
  • edited May 2006
    I know the problem: Sam talks too much through his teeth.
    Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but yes that's a major problem with Sam's voice. It's like he's trying too hard to maintain the voice.
  • edited May 2006
    Sure it's not the same as the original Sam, but is it even slightly possible to have a different person sound exactly the same? I don't think so, so let's just hope it improves a bit because there's nothing to really do about it.

On a different note, anyone notice the phone is black unlike the red one in the original game? Noticed that while comparing the voices to the old game. An odd random change. Speaking old the old game, open it up and use the look too on their answering machine in their office. Sam says, "A primitive answering machine, it's an 8 track". And look! it's still there, albeit a bit different looking, in the new version. Had to point that out, it made me laugh. I really hope you can use the look tool on everything in the entire game like the original, that's what made it so great, partially.
  • edited May 2006
    Is it only me? Or am I seeing some props from bone in the green swirling thingie scene?

I noticed that too! The honeycomb and well bucket. maybe some of the other objects are from CSI?
  • edited May 2006
    There's also a heart pierced by a sword, which somehow reminded me of Bumpus' VR simulator in Hit The Road.
    Dom
  • edited May 2006
    my thoughts on the trailer..good not great..

first of all what was with all the mentions of gametap? this is supposed to be a trailer promoting the upcoming game.. as ppl have said the FP 1 was better because it showed a sign of things to come.. I would have liked the trailer to be more about the new games and sam and max's return.. instead of episodic content and a partnership with gametap!

The voices: I think max's voice is great i'd be quite happy 2 have it like that 4 the game.. Sam i think was just off.. he just didn't deliver the lines like he should have..for full comedic value

I think the graphics and animations are lookin pretty spot on..if they continue that on with the game I'd be quite happy
  • edited May 2006
    On a different note, anyone notice the phone is black unlike the red one in the original game? Noticed that while comparing the voices to the old game. An odd random change. Speaking old the old game, open it up and use the look too on their answering machine in their office. Sam says, "A primitive answering machine, it's an 8 track". And look! it's still there, albeit a bit different looking, in the new version. Had to point that out, it made me laugh. I really hope you can use the look tool on everything in the entire game like the original, that's what made it so great, partially.
    I noticed that their car no longer has a top, either.
  • edited May 2006
    I noticed that too! The honeycomb and well bucket. maybe some of the other objects are from CSI?

Don't forget the sandwich...
  • edited May 2006
    Sam's voice wasn't that far off in my opinion, he just sounded a bit too stiff. I'm hoping that as the folks doing the voice overs get more comfortable with the characters, that will improve.

Max on the other hand struck me as wrong all together. Both the slight accent he had and the attitude inherent in his voice were missing from . He just didn't seem as... insane.
  • edited May 2006
    uhhhg.

The problem is not wether ether of them sound like their cartoon selves (and Sam just doesnt - I agree), the problem is that nether of the voice actors seem to have any sense of timing. Or perhaps the dialogue editors have no sense of timing. The lines are there, and they just sit there, flat. poorly delivered, poorly spaced. I would rather play a game with text than listen to the jokes die like this.

Heres hoping they know what they're doing and figure it out.
    urf
  • edited May 2006
    I dug this trailer a lot. I think it was better than the Freelance Police trailer that was released.

I'm very happy with it.
  • edited May 2006
    I love the trailer.

Max's final line after the logo came up at the end of the trailer actually had me laugh out loud.

Great job guys. :D
  • edited May 2006
    I thought I would register and give my thoughts on the trailer. I have heard of Sam and Max, but never played the original game, so I can give a different view of the trailer than long time fans.

I found the trailer to be done very well. As I said I have never heard Sam or Max's voice before. So to me they both sounded fine. Sam sounded like a dragnet sort of cop. The dialog was funny and well written. I certainly made me want to check out the games when they are released.
  • edited May 2006
    well,personally i don't like either of the voicecover in this teaser.
    i have to admit,though,sam's voice is not that far off from my former expectations,sedate and deep,and that's a charm.just a bit improvement and it could well do the trick.nevertheless what sucks this time is that this weary puppy sounds a bit over-vigorous here and there and his occasional abused accent kinda of getting on my nerves.
    max's voice acting ,well,almost wicked ,which is just the point.however i just couldn't take it the high-pitched squeeky tone of his,too bookish,as in my opinon,it somehow lacks a sense of "streetwise",and that's what made me so addicted to the old hit the road thing.
  • edited May 2006
    first of all what was with all the mentions of gametap?

Could have swaorn it said gameTOWN when it was released yesterday :-/
  • edited May 2006
    While the Bone voices have left me a little cold, I think the Sam & Max voices are great. Max sounds pretty much exactly like his previous incarnations (how can they find three guys who sound so similar?), and Sam is surprisingly close, too. It sounds like Sam's voice actor is trying to give him a sort of Sam Spade/film noir detective voice and delivery, which I think works well with the character and is a nice contrast with Max's irrepressible personality. I say, give 'em a chance. I think it will work well.

Plus, he said "ass!" Cool. :D
  • edited May 2006
    hello,can someone be kind enough to post up all the lines they said in the trailer plz?i really had a had time catching them,not being an english native.
    ps:i'm a gr8 fan of Sam&max .and this trailer looked amazing,especially the new max model,seemed quite better than the one in the old freelancd police trailer.i'm loving it.cheers
  • edited May 2006
    hello,can someone be kind enough to post up all the lines they said in the trailer plz?i really had a had time catching them,not being an english native.
    ps:i'm a gr8 fan of Sam&max .and this trailer looked amazing,especially the new max model,seemed quite better than the one in the old freelancd police trailer.i'm loving it.cheers
    Narrator: There are those that say that madness has a certain sound.

*Phone Rings*

Max: I got it! I got it!

Sam: I got it.

Sam: Hello. Yes. Yes. Holy jumping saints-a-plenty riding sidewise on a candy-pink fat-boy! We're on our way, commissioner.

Sam: Good thing I know a short-cut through the mercy stuff of a human psyche. Be careful not to get any on you.

Max: So, where are we headed this time, Sam?

Sam: To GameTap. They say the world's unwashed button-mashers have gone too long unsatiated.

Max: That's not a word.

Sam: Yeah, so?

Narrator: Everyone's favorite dog and rabbit-y thing together again and again and again and again...

Max: Look at me, Sam! I'm episodic.

Sam: An episodic, sociopathic lagomorph... The mind boggles.

Max: What's this? Are we dead?

Sam: More likely, it's an underachieving art director's pedestrian commentary on the excruciating sameness of modern packaged entertainment.

Max: Shall we trash the place, Sam?

Sam: Can't think of a reason not to.

Narrator: Sam and Max, coming to GameTap, from Telltale Games.

Sam: Who is that guy?

Max: I don't know, but I hope he's in range.

Narrator: Uh-oh.

*Gunshot*

Sam: Geez! You shot me in the ass, bucket-head!

There you go. ;)
  • edited May 2006
    I like the trailer! (Too bad we didn't see more of the office).

The new car totally rocks, though, and Sam & Max sound almost the same as the original voices in ''Hit the Road''. I agree the acting needs some work, but I see potential.

I'm excited! :D

--Erwin
  • edited May 2006
    thanx bassguy,you are a genius!!!!
  • edited May 2006
    thanx bassguy,you are a genius!!!!
    You're very welcome, Cheerleader7. It wasn't any trouble.
  • edited May 2006
    Opinions are mix.

I can handle the graphics fine. I love that they are animated makes them feel more Sam & Max.

Violence in trailer is good in the humerious way.

The thing that got me is the voices. Like everyone commented if you played the games for XX hours in a darken room the voices really narriated the game. I can still hear sam and max voice when I close my eyes.

To me something about voice of Sam in the trailer is amazingly reality breaking. It doesn't make me feel confortable about the game or bring back the connetion of the game.

Max for most of the lines in the trailer works. One or two get close to reality breaking but not too close.

Though no matter what I am buying this game :)

Thanks for making a trailer can't wait for the game :D
  • edited May 2006
    I hope Telltale takes the voice comments people have posted here seriously.

By the way, Bassguy, I think it's "through the murky stuff of a human psyche", just to be an annoying nitpicker.
    Also, I'm sure SSB: Brawl is going to be great. ;)
  • edited May 2006
    I know it's hard to find voices that will satisfy every Sam and Max fan, but I think they did a nice job. Sure, Hit the Road is still light-years ahead, but the consumer can't have everything. I think they did a nice job replacing the voice actors.

Just so long as they put a little more oomph into the lines, especially the guy who plays Sam, I'll be satisfied.
  • edited May 2006
    While the voices and timing in the trailer are, in my opinion, positively appalling, I'm not going to make a big deal about such things because I know how much is uncertain and subject to change at this point. I appear to be in the minority here because I truthfully enjoyed the cartoon's voice acting for Max far better than even Hit the Road. Robert Tinkler came across as MUCH more 'insane' in the show and generally sounded like the more professional voice actor. My two cents: Max's voice in the trailer was far too childish (do NOT tell me 'that's how he's supposed to sound' -- no child I know carries dangerous weapons) and Sam's voice was acceptable, but suffered the same verbiage overdose as in the TV show. Yes, what applies for Max doesn't necessarily apply for Sam, if that makes any sense. TIMING is absolutely essential with these two.

What really surprised me was the fluidity of the animation. Top notch. Telltale has REALLY captured the kind of 'saturday morning cartoon' look to its animation through working with the artists. I didn't expect next-generation graphics (they've never been the most important part of the S&M games, which is perhaps why we all seem to care more about the voices) so the 'polygonal' look of the trailer did not disappoint me. I was still very pleased.

Loved the DeSoto convertible, too. It's something I've always thought Purcell should do. :))
  • edited May 2006
    Sam's voice was acceptable, but suffered the same verbiage overdose as in the TV show.

Umm...
  • edited May 2006
    I would have written up a reply sooner, but E3 kept me quite busy.

I have mixed feelings about the trailer, too.

The animation is spot on. It looks as good, if not better than Sam & Max: Freelance Police (the game that LucasArts foolishly cancelled). The new Desoto looks especially nice. However, the voices are a different matter. I don't particularly like Sam's new voice. I cannot put my finger on it, but it doesn't sound right. Max's new voice sounds okay. In general, though, the voice acting sounds a bit forced. Although, I'm sure that the voice actors will improve in time for the first episode. Still, it's a shame that Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were not available, or were demanding too much cash (whichever the case may be).

Regardless, I still cannot wait to play the game. It's near the top of my "must have" list, and this year's E3 has put a lot on that list.
  • edited May 2006
    Maybe I'm just getting too damned liberal as I get older but I actually thought the voices were quite appealing, certainly Max could use a little more oomph but it was a moment of glee when Sam uttered his time-honoured "Can't think of a reason not to."

My only issue really is with Max, the voice actor sounds a tiny bit disinterested, like his heart really isn't in it. If there was more passion to Max's voice, I'd have no trouble with it at all. Sam's voice is perfect. I admit it might be spoken through the teeth a tiny bit but it's still really, really good.

I like it mostly because I'm a big fan of film noir, I love it all, whether it's the actual stuff or our good friend Tex Murphy doing a Sci-fi rendition of it. It's all good fun. Now I see Sam as a sort of satire of film noir detective films, albeit as a 6 foot Dog-thing. So the voice actually sort of fits.

If the voices stayed as they are now, I'd be more than satisfied. If the dude doing Max put in a little more emotion, I'd be overjoyed. All in all, they're definitely voices I can live with.

Oh and for those that're interested, I preferred the cartoon over the game, voices-wise and in many other ways. The cartoon actually allowed for greater differentiation between characters. I didn't feel like there was enough of that in the first game, all it seemed was that Max was a slightly more violent version of Sam and that Sam was a somewhat more intellectual version of Max.

I think they really grew thanks to the cartoon, perhaps that's just how I see it, I dunno. I played the original game back when it was first released and I did love it but portraying the characters wasn't its strongest point if you ask me. That took a back seat to outright zany.

I can't decide whether the new game is following the previous game or the comics and the 'toon more yet. The more sombre voices seem to dictate that it's leaning towards the comics, yet it does have a large amount of incredibly zany over the decidedly subtle levels of well-cultured insanity seen in the comics.
  • edited May 2006
    OK Telltale - it's Monday. Gimme gimme gimme!
  • edited May 2006
    I loved the trailer and thought the voices were perfect. I was pretty surprised to see all this fuss being made about them. Just watched it again and, yep, no gripes.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.