Not to be nit-picking

Okay, with 8-bit Is Enough on its way, I really have to go out on the whole 8-bit thing.

While it is true that most consoles from the 8-bit era are in fact 8-bit, the graphics themselves are not. 8-bit only refers to the processor capacity, the CPU. It's still accurate that the Atari 2600, the console the Fun Machine was loosely based on, was 8-bit. In fact, it's still accurate that almost all of Videlectrix' games use more than the usual four colors per sprites (where one of the colors is reserved for the background color mask).

However, we can't say that these four-colored sprites are 8-bit. They are actually 2-bit. You only need two bits (bits being either zeroes or ones) to have four possibilities:

In fact, the Game Gear has an 8-bit processor, however, it can handle four bits per pixel (small block representing a dot on a sprite), meaning a total of sixteen colors per sprite.

To reverse it even, the Neo Geo Pocket, although an 16-bit system, could only handle two bits per pixel! Take into consideration that the SNES and the Genesis both were 16-bit systems as well.

For more information, check this handy forum post I used to bring up as an explanation:

http://forum.captainn.net/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1083683450

I bet you never though a gaming forum could teach you this much.

Also, what's a nit, and why would I ever want to pick it?

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Nits are lice eggs. A nitpicker was someone who would meticulously go through an infested person's hair, being careful to get every single egg or the whole infestation could start over. Only the truly meticulous succeeded in the task.
  • edited December 2008
    So the modern definition of a nitpicker is someone who meticulously searches for flaws in something and points out every single one.
    I'm glad someone could finally explain exactly what a bit is. I've heard people say that it was a measure of pixel size, processing power, and colors on screen, but the only one it really isn't is a measurement of pixel size.
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, I get that, it's just how it pertains to video games that I'm confused about.
  • edited December 2008
    Actually, a bit is nothing more than either on or off. According to Wikipedia the etymology of the word bit comes from "binary digit". A binary number is a number which consists of digits (single numbers) ranging from 0 to 1. It's like the decimal digits, each digit ranges from 0 to 9, in other words, it consists of 10 different digits (the word decimal is derived from the Latin word of 10). Hexadecimal comes from the number 16, and also consists of 16 different digits (usually noted as the numbers 0 to 9 and the letters A to F).

But anyway, a bit is nothing more than on or off. This is due to the fact that it has two states, on (which is often represented by a 1) and off (represented as 0). Since computers work with magnets, and magnetized material only has the state positive or negative, computers will always work in the binary system. Since it's a mouthful to say "binary digit", people probably shortened it to "bit". Where the word "byte" (eight bits) comes from I don't know.

So, when someone says 1-bit, it's just something consisting of one digit:

0 or 1

When someone says 2-bit:

00, 01, 10 or 11

When someone says 3-bit:

000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110 or 111

And so forth.
  • edited December 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Nit's are lice eggs. A nitpicker was someone who would meticulously go through an infested person's hair, being careful to get every single egg or the whole infestation could start over. Only the truly meticulous succeeded in the task.

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention. Are you saying Gary has lice?
  • edited December 2008
    Wait, I have lice?! Getitoff getitoff getitoff getitoff getitoff getitoff getitoff getitoff.
  • edited December 2008
    I didn't understand any of the original post.
  • edited December 2008
    What's not to understand? Eh! Steve!'s mouth exploded the universe, and that blond guy did a tiny, tiny dance.

Oh, and that hyperlink sort of explains where I'm going at.
  • edited December 2008
    The link made me even more confused.
  • edited December 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Nit's are lice eggs. A nitpicker was someone who would meticulously go through an infested person's hair, being careful to get every single egg or the whole infestation could start over. Only the truly meticulous succeeded in the task.

Actually, "Nit's" means something that belongs to a nit (or perhaps someone named Nit), or a contraction of "Nit is". "Nits" are lice eggs.

...how's THAT for nitpicking?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    That's what I get for trying to be smarmy at the end of a long work day.
  • edited December 2008
    I sometimes think about getting Bob the Angry Flower's Guide to the Apostrophe printed on business cards to hand out.
  • edited December 2008
    Quuux wrote: »
    I sometimes think about getting Bob the Angry Flower's Guide to the Apostrophe printed on business cards to hand out.

I KNEW I wasn't the only one that reads those!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.