Questions about the Collector's DVD

I have a few questions about the SBCG4AP collector's DVD.

Question One: As someone who purchaced each SBCG4AP game on the Wii, I know there is no way to prove that I own all five games. Will the collector's DVD be available for purchace to those who have not bought the game on the computer?

Question Two: What can we expect to find on the Collector's DVD?

Question Three: If the Collector's DVD will be available for purchace, how much will it cost?

Question Four: Approximately what part of 2009 will the collector's DVD be released in?

Comments

• edited December 2008
    1) Sorry, the disc is only going to be free for people who bought the PC version from the website. We just don't have any way to do that for Wii purchasers.

2) We haven't decided on extras yet. We'll be meeting to plan this out in more detail soon.

3) $34.95, since it comes with the PC season set.

4) Not sure yet, sorry! It partly depends on the answer to #2 :)
  • edited December 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    1) Sorry, the disc is only going to be free for people who bought the PC version from the website. We just don't have any way to do that for Wii purchasers.

2) We haven't decided on extras yet. We'll be meeting to plan this out in more detail soon.

3) $34.95, since it comes with the PC season set.

4) Not sure yet, sorry! It partly depends on the answer to #2 :)

I think for #1 he means will there be a way for Wii owners to get the disc even if it's not free. Like maybe one with just the bonus content but not the games themselves.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    I think for #1 he means will there be a way for Wii owners to get the disc even if it's not free. Like maybe one with just the bonus content but not the games themselves.

We probably won't do two discs, both because that takes more time than you'd think to make (and test), and because it becomes expensive quickly. It's pretty unlikely that we'll be able to do a special for Wii owners (we have no way of knowing who is actually a Wii customer) -- we haven't got any plans for such a thing -- but I wouldn't rule anything out 100%. It's a free country, etc.
  • edited December 2008
    Don't you mean, Free Country, USA?

Gah, even I thought that was a horrible pun.
  • edited December 2008
    That's... not really a pun?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the DVD. I really liked the job you guys did on Sam and Max Season 2's.
  • edited December 2008
    Might not be a pun, but it's load of phun.
  • edited December 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    We probably won't do two discs, both because that takes more time than you'd think to make (and test), and because it becomes expensive quickly. It's pretty unlikely that we'll be able to do a special for Wii owners (we have no way of knowing who is actually a Wii customer) -- we haven't got any plans for such a thing -- but I wouldn't rule anything out 100%. It's a free country, etc.

I'm sure that it would be appreciated if you could eventually release a version with only bonus content. Wii users paid extra money for season, yet they are ineligable for the bonus content without buying the entire season again. I know that you'll rack up extra money by requiring fans who bought the season on the Wii to buy the entire season again, but by doing so, you'll inconvenience your customers.
  • edited December 2008
    Racking up extra money really isn't the primary reason, believe me. Making these discs isn't as easy as I think people believe it to be, and there are major logistical problems with distributing discs to people who didn't buy through our purchase system. Sorry man :(
  • edited December 2008
    so, i guess, if something like a bonus disc for the wii should be made, it would be up to nintendo to pull it off. right?
    let's say there will be a retail release for the wii version than nintendo should be able to offer wiiware customers a discount on it. don't know, if they're into stuff like this though...
  • edited December 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    Racking up extra money really isn't the primary reason, believe me. Making these discs isn't as easy as I think people believe it to be, and there are major logistical problems with distributing discs to people who didn't buy through our purchase system. Sorry man :(

I wasn't accusing you of trying to get extra money, just saying that although finding a solution would be more work, it would be appriciated. Would it be possible to put the copy of the game on one disk and the bonus on another? That way, those who bought the season online could get both disks at the cost of shipping and handling. Then, the bonus disk could be avaliable for purchase seperately.
  • edited December 2008
    I think it's time for boundless speculation on what the extras will be. Ahem.

Dangeresque machinima short starring Sam and Max.
  • edited December 2008
    I suppose it's impossible for Telltale to get any information Nintendo might get through people who have their Wiis registered with Club Nintendo?

I suppose that, even if it could, there would be issues with creating such a disk for Wii buyers.
  • edited December 2008
    Might be obvious, but:
    Question x: Are the DVD versions of the game compatible with the save files from your normal one?
  • edited December 2008
    I know it seems contrary to logic with the whole "bonus" thing, but maybe you could put the bonus disc in the store that would work on the Wii (or as a bonus for people who use the Wii version) that they would have to buy. Yeah, it's more money again, but would that solve the problem? Anyone who gives you proof that they want it enough, gets one.
  • edited December 2008
    Holyxion wrote: »
    Might be obvious, but:
    Question x: Are the DVD versions of the game compatible with the save files from your normal one?
    If it's the same as the Sam and Max DVDs, then the save and game files are stored in a different place and do not carry over.
  • edited December 2008
    If it's the same as the Sam and Max DVDs, then the save and game files are stored in a different place and do not carry over.

That was only with Season One. In Season Two, the disc versions overight the downloadable versions and you can choose whether to keep your stuff.
  • edited December 2008
    StonkBad wrote: »
    That was only with Season One. In Season Two, the disc versions overight the downloadable versions and you can choose whether to keep your stuff.
    Oh, did they? Ha, shows how much I know. I never installed my disc-based Season Two.
  • edited December 2008
    Not like it matters to me, (I bought the season pass) but would people who bought all the episodes separately be able to get the disc?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    In Season One, when the disc came out we had updated the games to a new version of the Telltale Tool that wouldn't recognize previous saved games. I don't remember if this was the case with Season Two and I don't know if it'll be the case with Strong Bad.
    ot like it matters to me, (I bought the season pass) but would people who bought all the episodes separately be able to get the disc?

Yes, someone in that situation can email us and ask for a coupon code to get the disc.
  • edited January 2009
    Okay, if I put all five episodes onto a SD card and brought it to a play test and gave my telltale account information at the same time, then could I get a free season disk? I'll bring donuts. ;) Okay, okay, kidding! I also realize that bugging Nintendo about this isn't really going to help you guys build a good working relationship together, and with Videlectrix already against you you need to start building bridges to connectivity in the marketplace. Or something. But could you guys maybe offer some kind of a bundle package? Like the SBCG4AP season on disk (with fabulous bonus content) and Strong Bad Email Disc #6 for $42 (plus shipping and handling)? That way, even if as an owner of the Wii version of SBCG4AP I have to buy the season over just to get the bonus content, I can at least get $5 off, and buy something else Strongbad related that might be something some people might like. And if other people already have Disc 6, well, they're only missing out on a $5 discount. Or something like that. Just trying to be helpful.
  • edited January 2009
    when can we expect the dvd by? (i mean Q1,Q2,ect not a month. though if you had that, thanks)
  • edited January 2009
    Just an idea, but the Wii version of the DVD could be done with the help of Nintendo... it could be an option available in the Wii Shop Channel, Nintendo stores all the info on what games where bought, so they can eaily know who bought the whole season...
    edited January 2009
    when can we expect the dvd by? (i mean Q1,Q2,ect not a month. though if you had that, thanks)

We're still in the early stages so this is subject to change, but at the moment it's looking like sometime in the spring.
  • edited January 2009
    Coool. Gonna spend all my money on a 16 gig iPod Touch soon, so I'll be broke. But I'm sure I can scrape up some cash before then.
  • edited January 2009
    Telltale, I love you. Your last email was just great.
  • edited January 2009
    How much are The Brothers Chaps involved in the special features? (Was that grammatically correct? I'm not sure how I should have said that.)
  • edited January 2009
    Was that grammatically correct? I'm not sure how I should have said that.

As far as I can tell, it was perfect.
  • edited January 2009
    As far as I can tell, it was perfect.
    I second that :).
  • edited January 2009
    Third! Well, don't you worry, Telltale, my parents seem a little peeved with me getting an iPod Touch. So........ I got $300 bucks to spend.
  • edited January 2009
    Third! Well, don't you worry, Telltale, my parents seem a little peeved with me getting an iPod Touch. So........ I got $300 bucks to spend.

video games.
  • edited February 2009

Buy a flashcard, Get the Mother 3 Fan translation and play it on a GBA/DS through that.

DO IT
  • edited February 2009
    I realise you are unable to provide this for those of us that bought the game via WiiWare, however would it be possible to do something a little different we could make use of?

I don't know if this has been suggested before but could you, for example release (for a nominal fee) a package that included something like:

- The DVD with commentary tracks etc, but minus the games themselves

- An SD card with enough capacity to store the entire series (perhaps with a nice SBCG4AP label)

- If you do something like the S&M Case File perhaps that could be included too.

This way we would get something that we pay for but not have to re-purchase all the games for the PC aswell.

Just a thought...
    edited February 2009
    - An SD card with enough capacity to store the entire series (perhaps with a nice SBCG4AP label)

That's an interesting idea!
  • edited February 2009
    That's an interesting idea!

Do you think it might be possible?
  • edited February 2009
    No. WiiWare games are encrypted to the Wii they're bought on. You cannot transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare games from one Wii to another. A bit of research could have taught you that.
  • edited February 2009
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    No. WiiWare games are encrypted to the Wii they're bought on. You cannot transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare games from one Wii to another. A bit of research could have taught you that.

I think you may have misunderstood. This isn't to play the games on a different Wii. The idea is that you can have the series stored on an SD card so you don't have to re-download them each time you want to play them - this should be especially useful once Nintendo start allowing us to load games direct from SD.
  • edited February 2009
    Or, you could just buy a 2 Gig SD card for just $5? Hell, the episodes might even fit on a 256 MB SD card, which are even cheaper.
  • edited February 2009
    That's the point (although to be honest I live in Edinburgh, so nothing costs $5, which is a pity as I still have a few bucks from last time I was in the States :p). The idea is to create a small, and as you mentioned, cheap package for Wii owners so that we could also get the additional content as well.

You seem to have got quite hung up on the SD card - I just saw it as a pack-in, value-added content with the DVD that would be useful to Wii gamers and give us something extra to make up for the fact this couldn't be free to us.
  • edited February 2009
    So you mean it would be just like the DVD except you have to supply the Episodes yourself? That actually seems like a really good idea, it solve almost all the wii users complaints, y'know?
  • edited February 2009
    Precisely! :)

I figure that something like this could solve the issue.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.