Some Retro Homestar Runner Graphics

strongbadsgraphicsya5.png

What do you think?

I tried to make them look kinda like the old AGI adventure games that Sierra made, i'm just not sure whether to stick to that style or just take advantage of the extra pixels instead. It would probably help to do them the modern way because i'm unaware of any AGI-style drawing tools to make the backgrounds in.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Neat. I especially like the Blubb-O's whale. But what's that color jumble next to Homestar's straight-on?
  • edited January 2009
    A pallette, If I'm not mistaken.
  • edited January 2009
    Wow, these are pretty neat. The straight-on view of Homestar should probably have his head pointed to one side or the other, even with his body facing forward.
  • edited January 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Wow, these are pretty neat. The straight-on view of Homestar should probably have his head pointed to one side or the other, even with his body facing forward.
    Maybe, i'm thinking of making small changes like that to the designs though because it's less of a problem if they don't look exactly like they do in the cartoons/games at such a small resolution.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2009
    Pretty sweet! So what are you planning to do with these graphics?
  • edited January 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Pretty sweet! So what are you planning to do with these graphics?
    Probably nothing, I don't really have the skills to make a whole game or anything. I'll probably keep making new sprites though in case anyone else wants to use them. They'd probably be good for an adventure game but with the official game out now, it would probably have to be something different somehow.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Nice. You got a lot of detail into Strong Bad for such a low resolution.
  • edited January 2009
    where?
  • edited January 2009
    Good job.

Is it at all possible for you to make some walking sprites?
  • edited January 2009
    can I use these?
  • edited January 2009
    Rubik wrote: »
    Good job.

Is it at all possible for you to make some walking sprites?
    Maybe, I intended to give it a shot anyway.
    Mouldcube wrote: »
    can I use these?
    Sure, as long as you credit me and let me know what they're for so I can check it out. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    I hope you dont mind, but I decided to give Marzipan and Homsar a shot using your color palette.
    2qsuhhz.jpg
  • edited January 2009
    Pretty good, but you got Homsar's feet and mouth wrong.
  • edited January 2009
    That Marzi is great! You should try Stinkoman.
  • edited January 2009
    deletehead: You should always save pixel art as .png
    jpeg isn't a lossless format so the image quality is bad.

There's a problem with the ones you did though, each pixel of mine is actually two pixels wide so that's why I couldn't get Marzipan's expression right. You can look at old Sierra games and Peasant's Quest for an idea of what these games look like...there's a nice aesthetic about those old games that was great.

kingsquest3av7.gif
    ^ King's Quest 3
  • edited January 2009
    DOH!! I've been saving my comics as Jpeg lately and forgot to change it to Png...
    I might do other characters but only one pixel wide, not two. I might not do Stinkoman but I'm going to try Bubs C.Stand.

sorry if I took the attention from you, but I thought others would do this too.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Its weird to me that the art was all two pixels wide by one pixel high. I never really noticed that for some reason (probably because I was never a big Sierra gamer growing up). Interesting.
  • edited January 2009
    deletehead wrote: »
    DOH!! I've been saving my comics as Jpeg lately and forgot to change it to Png...I might do other characters but only one pixel wide, not two. I might not do Stinkoman but I'm going to try Bubs C.Stand.

sorry if I took the attention from you, but I thought others would do this too.
    No problem, i'm having a hard time learning to draw background art, so it's cool to see someone help...I drew a few of the backgrounds on paper, but I haven't really made an attempt to make them yet.
    Jake wrote: »
    Its weird to me that the art was all two pixels wide by one pixel high. I never really noticed that for some reason (probably because I was never a big Sierra gamer growing up). Interesting.
    Yeah, I played Lucasart's games mostly, but I always liked that text parser.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.