Nintendo Power and Strong Bad

I voted in the Nintendo Power Awards of General Excellence (or whatever) because Emily asked us to, and I like to give out my opinions to complete strangers. One thing kind of struck me as odd in the voting, though. For the best story award, SBCG4AP wasn't listed, but Prof. Layton was. I loved PLatCV, and I realize there were cute animations sequences between the puzzles, and they did kind of tell a story, but it's a story that would probably total less than 1500 words typed, even if you included all the dialog from the cutscenes and had descriptions of the different areas. To have it nominated and not SBCG4AP is just weird.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Perhaps it's because the story of all episodes together is as coherent as Homsar's lines.
  • edited January 2009
    Plus, don't forget that not everyone is an HR fan, so SBCG4AP is not as likely to be just as fun for people who are not fans than those who are.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Plus, don't forget that not everyone is an HR fan, so SBCG4AP is not as likely to be just as fun for people who are not fans than those who are.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that SBCG4AP has a much more cohesive story than Professor Layton. (Five of them, in fact!)

I thought Professor Layton was a fun game, if a bit overrated. It is a great puzzle game, but definitely doesn't have too much in the way of story. I think there's a novelty factor, though. There's nothing else like it out there at the moment, so I think it sometimes gets a little more credit than it's due. Which is fine, I'd rather people pay attention to that type of game than not pay attention to it.
  • edited January 2009

Not necessarily, guess who didn't know a single thing about homestarrunner.com before playing SBCG4AP :D?

I agree with the complaints about Professor Layton... I mean, there IS a cohesive story, but it's pretty much a children story. I liked it, I wasn't expecting a more several layered Ghibli/Pixar storyline, but what there is doesn't really stand up to the hilarious and witty dialogue the Strong Bad games have, and it was never supposed to (the excuses for new puzzles alone prove it... "So you are left-handed... that reminds me of a most smashing puzzle!"). We also have DQIV over FFIV, so yeah, it's weird.
  • edited January 2009
    I fell kinda embarrassed here.... but how do you vote in the Nintendo Power Awards? When I go on the Nintendo Power website it doesn't say it anywhere, same on nintendo.com.

A link would be nice.
  • edited January 2009
    SBCG4AP should be in best Wii graphics. Also in the same issue they have a 2 page story about the process of making a SBCG4AP episode.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    A link would be nice.

Here's the link: http://npawards.wordpress.com/
  • edited January 2009
    I think this game's writing getting overlooked is just one of those things. Like, maybe they considered comedy writing to not count. Who knows.

And I wouldn't slight Professor Layton's writing entirely. The story itself was a bit weak, but my guess would be that they included the riddles themselves as part of the writing. There are no descriptions of why the nominees were chosen, so if you don't like it, don't vote for it, I guess. Personally, I thought the writing was medicre, but I wouldn't call it nonexistent.
  • edited January 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    And I wouldn't slight Professor Layton's writing entirely. The story itself was a bit weak, but my guess would be that they included the riddles themselves as part of the writing. ... Personally, I thought the writing was medicre, but I wouldn't call it nonexistent.

It wasn't in a writing category though, it was nominated for best story, which I consider two separate things. And the story in Professor Layton wasn't particularly inspired or exceptionally presented. Personally, I loved PLatCV; I can't wait for the next two games, and if they're just like the first one I will be extremely happy. But I don't consider them to be much story-wise. Like, you could cut out the story in Professor Layton entirely, and the game would be just as fun. The puzzles in SBCG4AP couldn't really exist outside of the story. While it wouldn't be unheard of for Strong Bad to cheat at a race to win it, it is unusual for him to do so in a Homestar Runner costume. But in the context of the story, it makes perfect sense (for the H*R universe anyway.) The puzzles rely on the story, not the other way around. And I didn't say the writing in Professor Layton was non-existent, I said that story wise, there wasn't a hell of a lot of it.
  • edited January 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that SBCG4AP has a much more cohesive story than Professor Layton. (Five of them, in fact!)
    Not necessarily, guess who didn't know a single thing about homestarrunner.com before playing SBCG4AP :D?

Sorry if I sounded a bit hypocritical since I have never played Professor Layton, I was just guessing that Professor Layton might be on there instead of SBCG4AP because it might not appeal as much to people who are not fans, but apparently I'm wrong from what LittleBuddy said.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, you do have a point... What I was trying to say is that while it's likely that someone will disregard SBCG4AP because of the wacky, weird characters or any random reason and PL has a "friendlier" look, SBCG4AP doesn't rely solely on obscure in-jokes, running gags and characters you should know beforehand. They are there, yes, but as someone who first knew the series by Telltale's games, you can enjoy them and most of the writing anyways... if you give the games a chance, that is.

So, we're all right in the end :D
  • edited January 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    It wasn't in a writing category though, it was nominated for best story, which I consider two separate things.

It was "Best Writing/Story," at least on the online ballot, which I take to mean "Best writing and/or story."
  • edited January 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    It was "Best Writing/Story," at least on the online ballot, which I take to mean "Best writing and/or story."
    Okay, I suppose I misread the category, but I still think it's odd not to have SBCG4AP on the list when PLatCV is. I suppose the puzzles in PLatCV were very well worded, and they did a good job at adapting them from the Japanese, but still, the story was for the most part extraneous, and some of the segues into the puzzles were a little forced. And generally, when it comes to writing, whether it be fiction or nonfiction, less is more. I'm not saying they shouldn't have bothered with a frame story, since it does add charm to the game, I'm just not saying I wouldn't recommend it as an example of some of the best writing in a video game.

Actually, thinking of all the games on the list, maybe one of the reasons SBCG4AP wasn't listed is because it's a series, and not a single game. Like, it wasn't the Ace Attorney series nominated, it was Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. I would think they could just list SBCG4AP, but maybe they think of each episode as a separate game so didn't want to single one out to nominate? The whole episodic thing is still pretty unusual, I guess.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm not getting PLatHV (English title) because its marketed for the casual audience. But apparently (according to Official Nintendo Magazine) It has a very loose story (In the top... 50? Wii/DS games of '08) I think it lost to Brawl, Galaxy and the like, but I only skimmed that issue.
  • edited January 2009
    Bit off topic here, but have you guys remembered to vote for SBCG4AP in the Official Nintendo Magazine UK 2008 awards?
    http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=26
  • edited January 2009
    Yellowtail wrote: »
    Bit off topic here, but have you guys remembered to vote for SBCG4AP in the Official Nintendo Magazine UK 2008 awards?
    http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=26

I shall abstain for my lack of Britishness. You do realize, erm, realise that, do you?
  • edited January 2009
    A lot off topic here, but SBCG4AP was featured in Boys Life six months ago.
  • edited January 2009
    Guys, guys.... Professor Layton is a work of art, and it deserves to be there. Calling it over-rated by any means breaks my heart. Show it some respect.

That and also Hotel Dusk. AMAZING games. We have the chance to see the genre coming back from the dead thanks to TellTale and Nintendo ( to a lesser extent ) + ( professor Layton is a trilogy in japan ). Still, i'll vote for SB just because i love you guys at TElltale and i believe in what you are doing. But i didn'T play it yet.
  • edited January 2009
    Holyxion wrote: »
    A lot off topic here, but SBCG4AP was featured in Boys Life six months ago.

Ah, I remember that... I was all like,"Dad! Strong Bad made it into Boy's Life!"
  • edited February 2009
    Sorry to revive a relatively old thread, but I thought that anyone who didn't subscribe to Nintendo Power might want to know how SBCG4AP fended in the NP Awards.

Not very well.

WiiWare Game of the Year was stolen by Mega Man 9 in both staff and reader opinion. It also lost in both staff and and reader's choice for Best Adventure Game. For obvious reasons (sorry, TellTale), it lost to Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Overall Game of the Year. Also, the NP staff chose No More Heroes over SBCG4AP for Best Sound/Voice Acting (truly offending Matt's talented vocal chords), although the readers gave SBCG4AP the award in this area.
  • edited February 2009
    I enjoyed Smash Bros, but...
    I'm not sure how you can compare two games in different genres. It's not as is someone is going to go out and buy Smash Bros over Strong Bad because someone has said Smash Bros is "better". They're different types of game!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Sorry to revive a relatively old thread, but I thought that anyone who didn't subscribe to Nintendo Power might want to know how SBCG4AP fended in the NP Awards.

Not very well.

WiiWare Game of the Year was stolen by Mega Man 9 in both staff and reader opinion. It also lost in both staff and and reader's choice for Best Adventure Game. For obvious reasons (sorry, TellTale), it lost to Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Overall Game of the Year. Also, the NP staff chose No More Heroes over SBCG4AP for Best Sound/Voice Acting (truly offending Matt's talented vocal chords), although the readers gave SBCG4AP the award in this area.

Haha, well, it's honestly an honor to be nominated, and in such company as Smash Bros, Mega Man 9, and No More Heroes! Those are some of my favorite games of the last year, so I'm cool with that being the company we keep in the Nintendo Power awards.
  • edited February 2009
    Wait, SBCG4AP had to fend against two retail games as well, and won one with the reader's vote? That's something impressive.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.